barneys66

UK newb saying hi - starting a small vintage collection..

On 7/12/2019 at 6:52 AM, Hibernaculum said:

Great vintage gold you have there. These are the kinds of vintage threads I enjoy the most. Here's hoping you restore with vintage parts, to keep them original ^_^ There's even an original black bumper there I assume (will be identifiable from the embossed writing), which looks like it needs a straighten but is otherwise a nice bonus.

Original kit boxes are also valuable. You can wipe down the box. And if you want to restore it further, straight the box sides by spraying water to dampen them, then placing flat weight on them for several days.

The Acoms Techniplus is also my favourite radio type. I found two very poor condition ones recently, which I managed to combine into this one working, clean example. I have several of them already, but they're just so 80s in design - boxy, angular, big. They remind me of equipment from the movie "Aliens" or something...

image.png.2c61ae740d527c28e97169b7fde374e9.png

I have been collecting vintage remotes for some time, but never really fell in love with the techniplus.... I have a fair few mk1&2 Acoms units, but only 1 boxed techniplus. 

Isn't it strange tho, people who were into Tamiya tended to choose Acoms stuff, whereas if you were into Kyosho, you went for Futaba. As far as I'm aware, the manufacturers weren't tied to each other's products.

J

• Like 1

Small update to this - the piles of SRB bits were sent over to @jonboy1 and the Ranger came back today, lovingly refurbished.

Didn't want this one overly restored as it wears its age so well.  The Scorcher is on the operating table next and will need a lot more TLC however..

49810054138_b2e2e44ecf_o.jpg

49810909887_5c40cf6f51_o.jpg

I also sent the MB over for a small repair (don't ask) and he couldn't help himself and treated it to paint detailing and a full mop, so it's gone from this..

45103050174_e9195d7fdd_o.jpg

..to this ( @jonboy1 's pics)

49728646306_a2babfce5b_o.jpg

49728961732_c1d317bb2e_o.jpg

Can't wait to get the Scorcher back!  Then it's onto the custom Luncholine, right JJ..? :D

JJ..? :blink:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, barneys66 said:

Can't wait to get the Scorcher back!  Then it's onto the custom Luncholine, right JJ..? :D

JJ..? :blink:

@jonboy1 has unsubscribed.......

• Haha 1