Bromley

What stick radio do you use?

I'm looking for a new Tx with model memory and Rx's at a sensible price. All the ones that google throws up are either wheelie style, discontinued or 5/6 channel.

I have tried wheelie Tx's but really struggle with the whole concept. It's just not intuitive for me. Too old to change I guess!

So what stick Tx's do you use for racing?

• Like 1

I use an 8 channel Radiolink set, only using 2 channels but the receiver is tiny. As you know, there aren't many options around now.

Comes with throttle return spring to convert to car. Multiple voltage input options (supplied with battery cradle for 4x AA's) but will accept lipo.

And as the speed of my car increases, I may need the extra channels for a rudder/airbrake at some point. :)  :)  or a self righting system.  :)

Graupner mz-12 PRO. 6 channel Tx with 250 memories, telemetry (with the optional sensors), and settings for plane, heli, drone, car and boat. Rx's are about £30 each (6 channel).

Thanks for your replies. I assume your multi channel Tx's are Mode 1, giving you a self centering stick on the left for throttle?

I have a Spektrum DX6 I use for aircraft, but It is Mode 2, so no use for cars. I think I'll look for a 2nd hand Mode 1 DX6, I could then use orange receivers at £10 a pop.

yes mode 1 radiolink, had to fit a spring to get it to centre, but £40 radio and £6 receivers, so cant complain. :D

Originally got it so I could crab steer the 4ws wild dagger.

After much searching I've finally decided on a FlySky FS-i6 6ch Tx. Ordered it from Ebay with 3 additional Rx's and a throttle stick centre return kit for less than £65. Looks to be an ok piece of kit for the money. 20 model memory too!

2 hours ago, Butler said:

Keep us posted as stick options are rare. 

Will do!

Update on new stick Tx.

It's all good in stick land!

I fitted the Tx with the centre return lever on the left stick, Bound 3 Rx's, Lunchie, TT-02 Rally, and Blitzer Beetle. All function perfectly. I even raced the Lunchie at the Christmas race meet last week.

I'm really impressed with the Tx, it's very easy to navigate the menus and binding is very simple. All the additional functions that you really need are there, like Trim, EPA, sub trim, rates and more complex functions like Throttle curve and Expo.There are also some RC flite only functions, like channel mixing and the extra proportional channels, 5 and 6(these are rotary knobs). All of the switches, of which there are 4 can be assigned to any auxilary channel or used for rates/expo maps. There's one 3 position switch and the others are 2 position.

Only down side, for me anyway is the Tx feels a little small. not tiny, but about 10% smaller and 1/2" thinner front to back than my Spektrum DX6. Once using the Tx it's soon forgotten and feels like a fairly well built unit. Not Spektrum/Futaba quality but a whole lot better than the £34.59 price tag would suggest.

Most importantly for me the unit has a 20 model memory and stores all setting for the model selected, end points,trim settings, expo and rates..etc.

I have just ordered 4 more Rx's giving me 8 in total. Rx's were £8.97 each Delivered.

image.png.abcfc1dfafbeefb986915f3d934b2ab9.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you like it. I have ordered one from banggood and it should be home when I get home from holiday. I really wanted the Futaba 6K but couldn't justify the price difference,  especially simce I only need 2 channels and the most basic tx would do.  But you can't have too many channels right?

i use the i a FlySky FS-i6  it is brilliant you can update date it 10 channels 

On 11/30/2018 at 8:02 PM, Bromley said:

After much searching I've finally decided on a FlySky FS-i6 6ch Tx. Ordered it from Ebay with 3 additional Rx's and a throttle stick centre return kit for less than £65. Looks to be an ok piece of kit for the money. 20 model memory too!

Which seller did you order from? Ive been looking at these but couldnt find the return springs.

6 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Thanks. Is that the seller you used? Looking at the shipping times im going to guess thats not UK stock, not that it matters i guess.

Yes, that is the seller I used.

• Like 1

I turned and slotted some plastic discs to limit movement of the sticks today.

Painted them black, they look ok'ish.

They are held in place with double sided foam tape.

20190126_205032.jpg

• Like 5

My FS i6 arrived and so far I'm impressed, especially for the price. It feels good, is nice and light and is so far easy to use. Very happy with the purchase

• Like 3

On 5/4/2020 at 2:04 AM, Avante2001R said:

Futaba 4GRS - cannot stand the wheel radios.

Quite possibly the perfect stick radio for surface vehicles. Good for anything from racing to crawling. 3rd and 4th channel controls well suited to things like 3-speed transmission etc. Only problem is that Futaba knows it is alone and has priced the thing astronomically (only reason I dont have one).

I honestly think that the whole pistol style thing caught on in the late 80s/early 90s because of "looks", and at this late stage any newcomer to the hobby just assumes thats the way to go an get used to it from day 1, never knowing the more precise control, especially on the throttle, a pair of sticks would give them.

I paid around £225 which isn’t bad at all considering the features and quality of the radio. I have always used stick radios since I was a kid so 30+ years using pistol radios don’t come naturally to me.

I've been out of it for a while: did Futaba ever make a 2.4Ghz version of the Attack 2-channel? I'd think there would still be a market for something like that.

It really bothers me that the 4GRS is basically a 4PLS in a different shell....for an inexplicable doubling (almost) of cost: C$260 vs. C$470.

I've got a Spectrum DX6i (gen2 I *think*, it's the later on with the black fascia) which is swappable between Mode 1 & 2, so it can be set up to have a sprung throttle on the left stick without any additional parts. 

I used to use sticks when I was a kid 30 years ago but it seems as though the designs haven't moved on.  Are there any that don't have masses of chrome and big flipper switches across the top for all the extra channels I wouldn't need for an electric buggy?

Something like the equivalent of a Noble NB4 for style, function and value....

• Like 1