krisby

Scorcher Hornet

I've got a vintage hornet nearing restoration end, as well as a rere chassis, I didn't see the need to have 2 hornets, so I'm making a basher with the spare chassis. 

I've changed to brat wheels and tires and acquired a scorcher body which I am in the process of painting and working out how to fit on the hornet chassis. The front peg lines up but is about 2 inches to short, and the rears a way off, will need some modifications but I'm still unsure how to go about that. I've ordered some magnetic body posts to see if I can make it work somehow, otherwise I'll have to modify some spare mounting towers to get the angle right for the predrilled holes on the scorcher body.

I've also since gone digital so I don't have to have to find a way for the big antenna to fit somewhere.

whitescroch.jpg

bluescorch.jpg

• Like 3

great idea, there are a couple of examples of this being done on Tamiya. I've done it myself, after looking around to see what other people had done, I ended fabricating a front post from a piece of sprue to line up with the hole and then adding two side posts, like this:

Sand-Scorcher-Hornet-2.jpg

Sand-Scorcher-Hornet-1.jpg

end result was this.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=108659&id=35302

• Haha 1

Looks great, @krisby. I am considering doing something similar one day with an old Grasshopper II chassis and some unpainted Lexan Beetle bodies I have in the garage.

There was also another build on here a while ago where someone fitted a Bolink Beetle shell to a Grasshopper I, which would be closer to your Hornet/Scorcher build. I will see if I can find it for you.

I think I like the idea of that side mounted hanger, I had wondered about that and now I've seen it that might be the best solution, though it does leave the pre-drilled holes on the roof of course. I was going to leave the side/bumper/protection bars, whatever you call on the hornet chassis too, but cut a segment out to fit the body between, as extra stability.

Hopefully time might allow tomorrow to look at some scenarios. I don't want to cut the nose off the chassis at this point, only because this will be a basher, so hitting things might be a very real possibility, even if only my mates son who likes to drive his holiday buggy in the path of our cars.

I need to start painting too, so I'll post up some progress photos ones I've added some detail.

yeah, the nose cutting makes it a pretty permanent mod. I was lucky I had an old chassis that I didn't mind cutting up. Without it, it makes the body too high, well with the nose cone on.

Sand-Scorcher-Hornet-3.jpg

Sand-Scorcher-Hornet-4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

found a few minutes whilst I was waiting for a lump of sirloin to cook on the bbq, and after a few beers and a bottle of wine (I was really productive), sorted my rear mountings.

I'm still to decide on how to get the front mount on, I was on a drunken role, but the steak was ready so I had to call it a night. Perhaps tonight I was try again, but I was close. 

Once mounting complete I will start the painting and adding the bits and bobs. Even with bigger wheels it is pretty much the same speed as my mates rat hopper, so I'm gonna add a sport motor to it as well, which will be fine for off road, but on tarmac, it will be even more a flipper.

IMG_20181202_192441.jpg

IMG_20181202_192414.jpg

• Like 1

I'm guessing your not having a rear window then? Otherwise how are you going to get the body on and off?

Looks great with the Brat wheels and tyres. Real sweet look!

1 hour ago, Bromley said:

I'm guessing your not having a rear window then? Otherwise how are you going to get the body on and off?

Looks great with the Brat wheels and tyres. Real sweet look!

I will have windows, there is enough space underneath for hands to remove body from mount, in fact I didn't even do it through the window at all, too tight.

I will paint the ends of the mounts in the same powder blue as well, though how long that will last I don't know. I have some magnets for the front that I might do instead of using the standard pin retaining system. And thinking a simple central upright to support the roof in the case of the inevitable cartwheels.

some updates to the paint. Need to build up the rust effect and add some dirt, and some dents, if my brush skills extend to that. Then I I'll be ready to start adding the bits and have it completed.

IMG_20181209_204312.jpg

IMG_20181209_204331.jpg

IMG_20181209_204250.jpg

• Like 1

I bent some 6mm bar, threaded the ends,and used the existing holes in the rear to bolt onto, meant I could use the existing rear clip on the scourcher body. The front I cut down a scorcher mount and re- tapped.

that looks really good, that mounting is brilliant. I thought mine worked out ok but I measure and drilled my holes without the nose on, so of course once I painted and attached the bits and bobs, it fricken hits the front of the chassis. So I'll have to come up with a new mount this weekend, or cut the front as you did, although I would prefer not to, but I think for the body to sit over the wheels properly it might be necessary.

nearing completion. Still want to try something with the paint surface, and need to attach the scorcher exhaust to the gearbox aswell.

IMG_20181213_203449.jpg

IMG_20181213_203459.jpg

IMG_20181213_203443.jpg

• Like 1