1Grizzo

Few Fox Questions

Hi. Does anyone know if the one of original Fox front rims say "Wild One" on the inside of them? I have seen 2 Fox cars with this now but am unsure if they came like this in the original kit or they have been switched with Wild One rims.

Also, does the original Fox kit come with masking for the windows? If not, my next question is going to be what the best way to mask them up?

Thanks for any replies.

4 hours ago, 1Grizzo said:

Also, does the original Fox kit come with masking for the windows? If not, my next question is going to be what the best way to mask them up

If the Fox doesn't then get the Novafox decals, mine came with window masks. I assume the original Fox did too but never had one so can't be sure

The original Fox came out just after the Wild One so they used the same mould and gold plated them . Pretty sure the Fox decals came with masks . A lot of different Tamiya model familys had wheels from same moulds  , just different colours , King Cab and Hilux MR wheels  for instance , Falcon and Striker wheels ,Blackfoot and Monster Beetle , saves on costs .

Just checked my Fox manual (dated 1985) and step 35 shows the windows being masked with strips of masking table. It also shows you paint the body with a brush!

Hopefully the attached picture shows what I mean.

Fox Mask.jpg

• Like 2

I may have overlooked a model or two, but as far as I know, these are the early models that included window masks:

58036 Audi Quattro Rally
58037 Opel Ascona 400 Rally
58106 Stadium Blitzer
58121 Idemitsu Motion Mugen Civic
58123 Dyna Blaster
58127 Castrol Honda Civic VTi

and all higher numbers than 58127 where window masks are needed (not F1 bodies, injection molded bodies). The Stadium Blitzer was the first to get the now common yellow tape masks (sometimes light blue or light green, but same material).

Now, such a long time later, it almost seems incredible that window masks wouldn't get standard before 58127, but Tamiya did at least offer separate window mask sets for some earlier models:

50487 Window Masking Seal Set A   (For 58099, 58108, 58113 (and 58120 because body itself is identical to 58099, but 50487 was released earlier than 58120, so 58120 isn't mentioned in the item description)
50488 Window Masking Seal Set B   (For 58112, 58117, 58119 (and 58125 because body itself is identical to 58112, but 50488 was released earlier than 58125, so 58125 isn't mentioned in the item description)

• Like 2

OK Thanks for the replies. It looks like the Fox does not come with window masks.

In those Fox orignal days we brushpainted our cars :) so I can't remember any masks in the box