KEV THE REV

CRP FX10 Lunchbox front arms conversion

I've ordered the CRP kit to convert my LB front ( I've modifeid / chopped just about everything else on it so I thought why not ) . I've seen a lot of methods / threads discussed here , but can anyone tell me the basic outline of it all and the length of the support turnbuckles / rods I need and the best mounting poition of same . Is the CRP damper position wrong ?, as I've seen some of you guys have moved / modified the lower damper position . I realise there is limited space under there for the rods and kit etc so there is probably an optimum layout to make it work best . I've got Ansmann 75 / 80 front dampers on it which I want to use . I've got quite a bit of hardware / kit / spares here so I shouldn't be stuck for much but I don't want to be faffing around to begin with when you guys that have installed these kits have the great knowledge already that I'm sure you wouldn't mind sharing with this old boy ;) .All help is much appreciated :)

• Like 1

I bought the same kit but couldn't work it all out, even from all the photos and videos on here and elsewhere. Might revisit it if you get a helpful response.

Thanks for the reply .

The thing with the kit is that there has been a few ways to mount it all upĀ  , all very slightly different . I've got it worked out in my head , just wanted to iron out some issues that could arise before they do . A few members have built these kits and I wanted to find out the optimum set up and if the original FX10 damper lower position is useable as I noticed some people have moved the lower mount position outward and the top turnbuckle outer position on the C hub. Once the kit arrives I'll get stuck in , I'm sure I can work it out , I can deal with most things :) . Once I get some progress I'll let you know .

• Thanks 1

Did the conversion, think I hacked up that upper mount. Have to dig out some pics. Did post a build somewhere ok Tamiyabase.

Other solution is to use a part from shapeways designed by Ampro

Will update tonight.

This is the solution with the FX10 parts, works ace.

ePHxolNvsCWlvO5gZ64SwVErFqoS6z13S_xB08IKVo4LfRaWR9UzwHVbVKSjoIWxEkldbpMpg3rtKdRMzNTV4TAAwVY2UHu893JR4_p0-cQRd2EJeKaYA44J0-oAmPaMnqLu8JYl3MG-nZNQaG1uTWN9x2GV--G_USRs4o3FAy5yNAdwXl_2WlkgC2Mnz7yVltPc-if-BZdeN-PyviR1AN0tSjGxtvIYiwSq206arbWKX8kv6Bf6K7FVvNdJT5LCevUPCDAAgiqFRJrCjXAdCIxjLeWySeBgCGRjfy_vT8ijTNjAJaQLekmh8gmu2mqRfzhtEj8XKXycqhMialxz1GEKSlkQK1cmG0WaOiAce4QTe0yDVfiqg_T0OM9GTTTFfgGG7Ry0z2zAjWM2fFr210Tmn_6FrNo29Gs4lpEOGMJpTWL0MBriU0K91n_-Ce6av0v5bQx5Nc1fJLRLpTIDjjwkwlok3cCqaPil4QelyaXC0jvfnACXgbErm3EvfWJK5LvZn7zuhyi9Hj_-uYM6xEi3-OPvpLtzMmEtz6LqM_gyVMycR-AjvsWbc3kzNVSTXJOxCp60uJuLFX3hD-qpfROdeNPpT_XEC42PoXX480HDUl8sz_zj-NUgYs2u8LOgxq46f1S5y442GqAsQJxnV6s6=w2047-h1150-no

cEt-2bVZG34f5Yac1qA7kwDbZj8VxJ-c0tQt8FquIQtF_RyF4U0TS74Us3kojH_Zg7G9O2jOVSdsR_iQiZPunM7ZdD-AREDheIMzgbYd1yVybk_iIgWalFC4mQgHZhm2FLiawdCHp3vrC0vBA56mynTLBryk-Ndm2tQsFv0CKrJpCGJHkGBoIti_qcMTzPMW8Kv4lKym2LkGJPMLBeiWqDGBg9zqAGmjwi_xbyz2wBZJVeoG2oO54lL2Np-yMYc8Y8PSNfax2pY_IaAgvGTFhglXmtKydb0_Ycb9arGYGF0knwN14ZRPCTpK8mOlB66RF7fx4sBBQ_hPBJt2TcvHVVe8gQkHl15mnij-11QJfu6ZXJY2S-MNgVqOg5MLSizcowFrdReYCb68J4Hz71V0SVONVVLrXnU4l8LhmC-cWJa-_NVd258rwGJZoJwoOlniqm2sDMXn7Unnh2y8M2TUFiM6h4EYnJLE2Hb2EiFV6ZJOetow2_AAr1wLlocvjLS6IcLkyE5Wh78SQ_dLl3al6Ek2hf24Z5k0cS2Ej7BrMRi3Sf9kcgcAOW57gm5o9y7W40GXQ4OcEfaaYJpsL4IGLe3TU3_xsIwkZS6CkxBypsJlbBM2pAHz_RTLxYA4CcuqHtKqHUpUJDBnkDcMUP07N8Zv=w909-h1211-no

NdouPM6O8piu8hs3rxgp4w_lC0jjRGrDSG0EQcVWsj-fM1d3j82dGxcExO2M-4Z49hKEtdiWRSv16aBLxjAEqXXKHvsJWDdmm6hwXvX3x4WWI97FqfqGGoJ2AJS_Cag7ZmYpx8raWw1LfGT6fVwBDzg0dXbsx-ec0c7YLGPtYzJd_uK371Vsd0YuRb3Q1U9L5Nxm7Qwl713oW2ooAemQiR4jQi52R-zVW_kroESyQVIdqCFiJVTnZqpPlmINb7w6JtSDK9d0mXqx10VHC8AdbSP2Db9nn-IuMOBslT4bU7aKmnSDSTEfH1iw1iMpP45ifBnZ7pvuXyfJ2FR8n0ywsMhueaisG1ggqbGoqvIpu_ncXfjBm7TLbdc4mVSG4N3Vzf3RPp6O93e-aSFo8DbakTjxpWDJvO4HU8-JuhPOO6yUda1Msth4xRQ2ItPhX9IJbU0oAX9InB7dhatLuLyHdF08Tz5ah7LbGkWH3vGOH3UIP_FvA4xALb__wCGeGJ_dQi2BPrYE30weEB4_ElzxzVqMzGYkcGasR7S_N-s_46NzF2vMlIuUunOX0odtz7vtBPKO5KXH2S3JORspCE_8GNzHkx5I3Srp8Bmto7IpKKyrdWR_27VoWVdoWPDOKAHUblIQcgm5B0Ex3XBL9IfQozcH=w1616-h1211-no

Ā 

• Like 1

Hi Sander . I've ordered a kit for the Lunchbox as per their site , and it doesn't come with the plate and arm links shown bolted to the chassis front in your pic , I guess that's why other guys mention turnbuckle top links in their threadsĀ  ? . Your set up looks quite simple , do you get any fouling on the damper spring ?

This is what i had in the bag

Q2Q1HGKPjVXcD09dLKBiqG_AerjuoyArfqOhVFaO

Ā 

Lower arms got moded aswell to center the damper.

UZkKJCjrY4CE0MPPYWcfJh6qaZqGmWgH6e7gzSzGYNgiIHr3muwbUAI_TOKydd4aLo8WCY9nQXuLNHPn7ulwKlqiaWVKUqBtDdu4qENhUMqaCcn-W3BTntSAxAt3a_XSmdLVsDMhMtZPUcrovu59n2N_zUbMsZjsCFLo_WDerjtExHgaPbwNP6NPPPN51YI2VZDLAiqgK8oTKsZQkgbj7UvWLJrBoF3A960KjnysDbtGIKsrmm-WNMdC5LGAM-hX6B9laFNw-K10KDVAGeGSHQ0nKmFVWr8B4qYiTsUeDqqu5aZiyZm3wKMabTX0rqgkTjzxAXqeHrxGyF4jV7-Sr0grnrG6xhIdGLZ91YJs9E2LkXOifwhX_S2gnFYoByJNbdUk3cNxkTsCaH2iOF_vEqgeDsc4ph6cc7e76X2SzWMWGqfSSW4dp4FxTxc8beynNFNItgPnk27sH_OZyS1_fynNzfuRPKQ5R1WB1_f-uat_XvOlUjJ0VvJc-7YPpk25CE8OT33wtcySy-K8ez9TVCaECLcHM43s0oytRbAnQnt-M8MEOcdJA4IQi_sTNFZc8Efn0OqNVRt57RhBuY1WkhW2qH57u1dNpPmFTm4U45j8oaGWqGKxYLwuaEa9vW7obeRwVyosqQBFOsVqU5aGGbwA=w2047-h1150-no

Ā 

u could use ballheads and bolt those where I used the black hex screws into the chassis, or make your own upper mount.
is a while back that i did this.

• Like 1

The lower arm damper mount mod. looks interesting . The CRP 'Lunchbox kit' is more basic than your kit and doesn't have as many parts but still seems to be enough main parts to do the job as I have turnbuckles and rods / hardware etc here ready to go . Thanks for the pics and info :) . Can't wait to get started on it .

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, waterbok said:

And this is the Ampro upper arm solution, shļ»æould be more info in other threads or in his utube vids ļ»æ

So , I've ordered this part ( and the rear axle support ) in the hope that this will help to simplify the top tie rod situation and give a positive start to the whole thing - it's easy to fit which I LIKE!! - just waiting for everything to arrive here :)

• Like 2

On 11/18/2018 at 4:26 PM, waterbok said:

This is what i had in the bag

Q2Q1HGKPjVXcD09dLKBiqG_AerjuoyArfqOhVFaO

Ā 

Lower arms got moded aswell to center the damper.

UZkKJCjrY4CE0MPPYWcfJh6qaZqGmWgH6e7gzSzGYNgiIHr3muwbUAI_TOKydd4aLo8WCY9nQXuLNHPn7ulwKlqiaWVKUqBtDdu4qENhUMqaCcn-W3BTntSAxAt3a_XSmdLVsDMhMtZPUcrovu59n2N_zUbMsZjsCFLo_WDerjtExHgaPbwNP6NPPPN51YI2VZDLAiqgK8oTKsZQkgbj7UvWLJrBoF3A960KjnysDbtGIKsrmm-WNMdC5LGAM-hX6B9laFNw-K10KDVAGeGSHQ0nKmFVWr8B4qYiTsUeDqqu5aZiyZm3wKMabTX0rqgkTjzxAXqeHrxGyF4jV7-Sr0grnrG6xhIdGLZ91YJs9E2LkXOifwhX_S2gnFYoByJNbdUk3cNxkTsCaH2iOF_vEqgeDsc4ph6cc7e76X2SzWMWGqfSSW4dp4FxTxc8beynNFNItgPnk27sH_OZyS1_fynNzfuRPKQ5R1WB1_f-uat_XvOlUjJ0VvJc-7YPpk25CE8OT33wtcySy-K8ez9TVCaECLcHM43s0oytRbAnQnt-M8MEOcdJA4IQi_sTNFZc8Efn0OqNVRt57RhBuY1WkhW2qH57u1dNpPmFTm4U45j8oaGWqGKxYLwuaEa9vW7obeRwVyosqQBFOsVqU5aGGbwA=w2047-h1150-no

Ā 

u could use ballheads and bolt those where I used the black hex screws into the chassis, or make your own upper mount.
is a while back that i did this.

Thank you for posting the parts photo.Ā Ā 

I've been thinking if there is a way to install this kit on 1984 Pajero.Ā  I got the AMPro Lunchbox part (for LB).Ā  But that would not work on Pajero, but FX10 parts might work?Ā Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

I've been thinking if there is a way to install this kit on 1984 Pajero.Ā  I got the AMPro Lunchbox part (for LB).Ā  But that would not work on Pajero, but FX10 parts might work?Ā Ā 

An interesting idea , it could be possible , the shocks would have to be a lot smaller as it doesn't have the LB extra 'layer' / height , it would be a good project

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

So , I've ordered this part ( and the rear axle support ) in the hope that this will help to simplify the top tie rod situation and give a positive start to the whole thing - it's easy to fit which I LIKE!! - just waiting for everything to arrive here :)

Iā€™m looking forward to the updates on this Kev when the parts arrive.

• Like 1

Still waiting for the CRP parts to arrive but in the mean time I've fitted an Ali hi torque servo saver and the Ampro top link mountĀ 

On 11/29/2018 at 2:48 PM, KEV THE REV said:

Still waiting for the CRP parts to arrive but in the mean time I've fitted an Ali hi torque servo saver and the Ampro top link mountĀ 

Hi Kev,

Have you got a link to the Servo Saver please?

I need to put our LB back together and this is one of the items on my to do list!

Thank you

Simon

Major drag !! , CRP parts are being held as there are import charges ,need to wait for them to notify me of the cost :( - looks like a shapeways order next time .

• Sad 1

Ok , so I paid the ransom !! , got the CRP parts and set about getting the old gray matter into action - not easy these days ;) . Had a bit of a mock up after trimming the A arms to fit ( seem kind of soft and easy to cut ? ) , and will probably go with fabbing up a part to mount the damper lower end to somewhat like I've seen some other members do ( for me it I think it would have been easier and cheaper to have got AMpro set-up but lets foget that for now - maybe - as I like the look of the CRP arms' smooth finish ) . Stay tuned guy and gals .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've completed the FX10 conversion . The upshot is I didn't use any of the CRP hardware that I bought with the kit and chose to use my own . I toyed with the idea of following similar lines of what I've seen other members do , but I decided to do my own take on it without too much cutting about of the CRP plastic parts . I went for making aluminium trays to fit under the A arms , mounted by bolting through both the pin tubes with custom bolts,Ā  to give protection to the arms and also to mount the damper base in the desired position which has always been the headache with these CRP kits . I made a card template , then cut out alu. parts to fit the A arms and damper base , trial fit was good , then sprayed black . The steering links were changed to turnbuckles from a TR15T option kit as were the upper stabilizer links . I used Tamiya 5mm ball fitting and rod ends , the steering uprights were tapped to M3 , and the outer stabilzer end were some heavy duty ends I got hold of a few years ago .I fitted in the AMpro upper link plate to simplify the top link fixing and to be more sturdy and it worked out great , so if you are thinking of using CRP kit then at least buy the AMpro top plate . I shimmed out some of the parts like the C hub to arm to take out slop .Ā  It now has full suspension travel and no toe - in / camber problems , foreward or reverse ( how nice to reverse without it throwing a wobbly !! ) . I'm happy with the result , but I might buy the AMpro full kit for another lunchie to compare the 2 . The AMpro kit is ready to fit bar the top stabilizer link so installation is simple . Oh yes , I bought and fitted a custom wheelie bar too , looks great !!

PC070014.JPG

PC070015.JPG

PC070008.JPG

PC070019.JPG

PC080003.JPG

• Like 2

Looks good.

Are CRP parts made out of plastic or nylon? The only thing that is tuning me off from the ampro kit is that the plastic seems to soft. I know he tells im his video, that it is not so terrible or not terrible at all.

Ā 

the wheelie bar looks awesome!

16h3y1c.jpg

What about the rear shock mount? Is it handmade or bought.

I am considering both upgrades to use from ampro.

but interested in other thoughtsĀ 

• Like 1

I think the CRP parts are dyed nylon as these are white under the black exterior finishĀ , they come in other colours too . Ampro does point out that his parts are tough but not indestructible , which , to be fair applies to most RC pastics . I've not heard of anyone breaking these CRP parts , but you can buy individual replacement parts if you do break anything. The rear damper mount is my own creation as I couldn't get a Jun Fac one . I've also got an alu motor mount , heatsink , rear wheel hubs amongst other mods . The wheelie wheel seems good , I'm pleased with it .Ā 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 6:10 PM, KEV THE REV said:

Thanks Kev, Iā€™ve just ordered one of these now.

Great thread this, Iā€™m really enjoying it.

No problem . You need to get your LB onto here and let us see it . I built this LB from trashed parts and spares ( the tub is held together with glue and brackets in places ! ) and with all of the mods I've done it is still holding together . I've got another new tub if this one gives out , and I like the 'RAT' feel of it as it is . The red servo saver is working well on this LB so far . I need to give it a good run outside sometime and try out the latest upgrades . I was toying with the idea of fitting F&R anti roll bars but I'm not sure the front will work with the FX10 mod . I'll check out the construction of them and possibly make my own , perhaps from some Kyosho Outlaw parts or similar that I think I have here ;)

• Like 1

Will do Kev.

Life is a bit bonkers right now, but my plan is too find sometime for our LB when the Scorcher is finished.

I know they are never really finished and should be considered as ongoing projects šŸ‘

Both the LB and S.S are long term keepers which will mean some Ampro and Shapeways purchases at some stage too.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Apologies for exhuming an old thread, but it may be worthwhile to mention that the Ampro "Wide" HD arms for the IFS on the lunchbox are very solid indeed; I don't see how they're going break with normal use, unless normal use involves running the LB headfirst into a wall at over 50 km/h.

I bought a set from Shapeways, and couldn't be happier with the result. You'd have to make your own upper arms out of turnbuckles, but that is very easy. Here's a pic or 2:

2020-09-13-01-50-01.jpg

2020-09-13-01-14-12.jpg

• Like 2

Does that really make that much difference in realtion to the normal Arms?

I think the normal arms are quite ok. The only thing i don't like is that the tires rub against the Body while breaking & cornering at the same Time....