JennyMo

ebaYJeep - aka. "Daydream B'leafer"

A few more photos with the cage installed, and some additional accessories:

i-vW7wVzh-XL.jpg

photo. Ozzy looks worried... he shouldn't be, this is pretty well sorted now!

i-FjG2bzt-XL.jpg

photo. Tamiya YJ body stretched behind the doors to fit longer Trailfinder 2 wheelbase leaf-sprung chassis.

i-BkwPHJL-XL.jpg

photo. custom wooden deck in load-bed covered with junk and accessories now!

i-chcczR2-XL.jpg

photo. full interior, with checker-plate floor and door panels - there are two 6-cell stick packs hidden under there too (one for the motor and one for the winch).

i-b7xL7kS-XL.jpg

photo. a mix of ProLine workshop accessories, 3D printed milk-crates, Yeah Racing scale cardboard box and scratch-built shop towels, rags and grinding wheels (the rags are soaked is real old engine oil too!)

i-q92vZtS-XL.jpg

photo. a fully stocked ARB fridge in the centre console - beer, whiskey and vodka!

cont.

• Like 2

cont.

Some more detail shots:

i-wbfGbP9-XL.jpg

photo. RC4WD Warn 8274 working winch with wireless remote control - strong enough to lift the whole car vertically off the ground!

i-bjTNM2k-XL.jpg

photo. Ozzy Osbourne figure modified to fit Axial Racing Corbeau seat (with Yeah Racing belts) - sweat-pants repainted as dirty jeans, and tattoo's removed! (he had a bit of a haircut too ;o)

i-MgHr7V7-XL.jpg

photo. foam padding around roof-rack/cage bars, RC4WD working HiLift jack secured to scuttle (with quick-release R clips).

And finally, with the lights on!

i-rHK9BK5-XL.jpg

photo. YeahRacing scale checker-plate (4 bar design) along sills, OME (Old Man Emu) scale shocks, custom metal tube fenders at the front and grab rails along rear body.

i-tCvr6NQ-XL.jpg

photo. RC4WD white 8-spokes, 115mm tyres Maxxis style tyres and scale brake discs all round.

i-kT33HxM-XL.jpg

photo. Stinger style front bumper (modified), and RC4WD LED lighting kit.

The good news is, I have a backpack this just fits in - so I'm going hunting for some trail scenery soon!

Jenny x

• Like 2

Tools - check. Fully charged batteries (x2) - check. GoPro - check.

Spare wheel nuts just in case...

i-BPKkSmj-XL.jpg

photo. ...ah.

Best carry some spares next time I think - at least I got some video before I lost a wheel-nut somewhere in all that goop!

More soon!

Jx

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JennyMo said:

Tools - check. Fully charged batteries (x2) - check. GoPro - check.

Spare wheel nuts just in case...

i-BPKkSmj-XL.jpg

photo. ...ah. 

Best carry some spares next time I think - at least I got some video before I lost a wheel-nut somewhere in all that goop!

More soon!

Jx

That is exactly what happened to me when I took my Bowler out last. Except that I hadn't had a chance to even take a photo..

4 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

That is exactly what happened to me when I took my Bowler out last. Except that I hadn't had a chance to even take a photo..

Yep - although they were ny-locs, they had probably been on and off one too many times... blue thread-lock in future - on all four wheels!

Jx

• Like 1

Turns out it's best not to leave your truck too long without cleaning it after running it in semi salt-water (yes, I know - but I was trying to get some realistic rust on the wheels you see):

i-g9QDXb6-XL.jpg

Fortunately it cleaned up ok with an old toothbrush and some WD40 - while retaining a suitably 'weathered' look to the underpinnings... I did have to replace the battery connectors on the ESC and both batteries though - they had started to go really funky, and initially I was worried that the corrosion meant I'd actually shorted and fried both batteries... fortunately it turned out it was just the terminals in the plugs which had corroded.

Phew!

Jx

• Like 1

Maybe a touch of Dielectric Grease on your terminals & electrical connections would help stop the corrosion from a good soaking? Its worked great on my motorbike.

I check back on Tamiyaclub from time to time, and wow, your skills at these scale builds has really gotten to be incredible!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 12:10 AM, Re-Bugged said:

Maybe a touch of Dielectric Grease on your terminals & electrical connections would help stop the corrosion from a good soaking? Its worked great on my motorbike.

Hi Re-Bugged - yes, it was my fault - the temptation to get the wheels (and then the rest of it) wet was too much! I'm also going to seal the wires into the battery connectors with hot-glue to stop water creeping in that way - although I suppose ultimately for wet running it's better to replace the Tamiya style connector plugs with proper waterproof [supaseal] style ones too perhaps?

Jx

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skottoman said:

I check back on Tamiyaclub from time to time, and wow, your skills at these scale builds has really gotten to be incredible!

You are very kind Skottoman - I'm doing my best to keep the salt-fires burning here on your behalf ;o)

Jx

ps. I think you're going to like this latest one too:

Great Build,

The attention to detail and the great photos are on another level....

Thank you all for your kind words!

Yes, this build really was an experiment in packaging and detailing, including a few new things I've wanted to try - the working side windows and wooden floor for example, plus having a real working winch and also to see how well these leaf-sprung chassis could be made to perform.

It really has proven to be a fun runner so far (once I'd remembered to take out all the loose 'display' accessories of course!), and I'm looking forward to trying it in some more realistic scenarios!

I've also had one or two other ideas that I think will work well on this Jeep platform, so am currently debating whether to modify this body further, or buy another Tamiya shell and incorporate those features into essentially another variation... which will probably mean getting another chassis and everything else eventually too of course!

Jx

• Like 1