Ray_ve

Marui Samurai restauration

Quite some time ago, end of 2017 I think, I bought a used Marui Samurai.

In the 80's, when I got my first Big Bear, I always thought the Samurai was really cool because of the 4WD, and the chain drive. :wub:
But back then, it was 3 or 4 times more expensive then the bear so never had one.

The purchase:

BEXFATz.jpg

First thing I noticed was how small it appeared to me. I thought it would be bigger. But ok, I finally owned one!

After the usual tear-down 3 months ago (this is a slow-pace project!), I found that this particular car has quite some milage on it. Als it had not been run in a while.
The original rear wheels are ugly (made blue with permanent marker and full of CA glue) but in one piece, the original fronts are badly cracked. That is why it had the Ninja wheels on it.
Also, the space frame plastics have some dis-coloration from age, and are really filthy at the bottom.

So, all the work now is to start cleaning the parts, and re-assemble.

This weekend, I finally managed to get the gearboxes back together.

The rear gearbox had broken plastics where a bearing should be...

uHLwFkN.jpg

Modelled a fix for it, and printed it in PLA (left) for a test fit (this is the 3rd attempt), and finally in ABS for the final piece.

uD88xa1.jpg

Glued the fix in place, sorted!

ueUnCoD.jpg

Next, rebuilt the front differential (old one was quite worn, because the chain was worn) with new plastics from Ebay, and added a brand new chain I was able to get.
Put it all together with another motor I had, as the old one sounds like a bag full of angry cats. :D

aqi440c.jpg

Next order of business, the wheels.

I love the originals ones, very beautiful for that time period and really suit the car.

jSx7uFP.jpg

But WHY are the fronts and rears a different diameter? Aaaargh.
I'll use standard modern wheels when it gets done, but modelled wheels to hopefully print a set of new front and rears, that are compatible with present day standard tire sizes.

4Kezbfo.jpg

c0ecLGw.jpg

Thats all for now, Updates will follow! :)

• Like 7

Yes , these have always been a major task to restore . The gearboxes and gears were always weak , and replacement gears are hard to find . The wheels are also a bad design , a inner and outer beadlock would have made a lot of difference to these beautiful wheels . That said , they are an amazing buggy to look at and run . Good luck with the resto. and have fun with it .

• Like 1

Thankfully, all the other gears are fine. Only the aluminium pinion was badly worn, but the idler only suffered 25% wear from that. The 2 diffs in the rear box are also OK. Since this will be mostly a shelf queen, with limited runs in the future, thats all I need to have.

Given the state of most plastics, it will never be an A+ showcase model anymore. Just simply enough for nostalgic value.

I''m thinking if I should sand the chassis so it will be a bit smoother, and paint it?? Decisions, decisions.....

Edit:

Beauty! :wub:

Little progress as I was deciding on the paint job.

But I'm going to keep it simple with a modern touch. 

All red plastics will be metallic red, as will the body and wing. The frame aluminium silver.

On 11/18/2018 at 4:23 PM, Ray_ve said:

Quite some time ago, end of 2017 I think, I bought a used Marui Samurai...BEXFATz.jpg

Wonderful buggy, and GREAT work!! :wub:

• Like 1