Sign in to follow this  
PenFold

Grashopper wheels

Hi

I was hopeing someone would be able to clear this up for me.

I have been searching the forums looking for replacent wheels for an original grasshopper, as after nearly 20 years the rubber hubs inside the front wheels have distorted and are leaving alot of play in them. From what I've found HPI do a converstion kit to run the new hex type wheels but I could only find them for sale in a uS shop. So is there any alternative in the uK I can use? or any wheel that fit straight on? I know the re-release is just around the corner but i would rather get this sorted sooner rather then later :)

Thanks

Chad

Btw, is the blazing star classed as a vintage model now? as it seems specific parts are being discontinued.

Definately ebay is the best bet.

The Blazing Star is 58204 so no where near a vintage kit, even if the kit/parts have been discontinued

Chris

Cheers guys, I was really hoping you wernt going to say ebay but i expected it :)

theres a few auctions going on now, I'll see how I do :)

Is it specificly grasshopper wheels I need, or are there or are there other types I could use?

Thanks again

Chad

I have seen some before in ebay Stores on BINs.

Sand Scorcher,Hornet,Frog or Grasshopper will do.

The only thing is the ones I have seen before DONT have the fixing screws,no big deal if you have them already.

EDIT.

There are some on BINs in ebay at the moment £8.99 & £1.50 P&P,cant post links but easy enough to find.

Thanks again, finally found them, i'll hopefully be ordering some a little later on.

You can fit the re-release hornet wheels. You have to go to a JP vendor right now but they are on sale in regular hobby shops in japan. Wait a month of so and Tamiya are re-releasing the Grasshopper so they will also make the rear paddle track available in the same shops.

James

Is it the case with re-releases that the individual spare parts only appear in japanese stores or will they be available in the uk as well, or is it just hit an miss wheather they are available? :)

I got the wheels today, and fitted them, at first I couldn't work out why they were sitting very loosly. Then I realised that I was missing the center hubs for them, part B6. but it turns out that the plastic bearings from a baja champ, MA8 seem to work just as well in their place.

I dont know what they will be like under running conditions, as I'm still waiting to replace the motor, but I assume they will be fine, and can even be upgraded to the metal ball bearings.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or even done this one theirs? as I would be interested to hear about it.

Chad

quote:Originally posted by PenFold

Is it the case with re-releases that the individual spare parts only appear in japanese stores or will they be available in the uk as well, or is it just hit an miss wheather they are available? :)

id="quote">id="quote">

Most of the re-release parts are classed as "Special Order" here - so except at those dealers who actively order these re-release parts and split kits (e.g. us and a few others) you won't usually find them on the shelf.

I have a web page with the breakdowns on these reissues here if it helps anyone - have all the Hornet parts at present except wheels and front tyres - small batch of rear tyres just in today for example:

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/tamiyapar...-the-hornet.htm

Currently only Hornet parts listed, but will shortly be throwing a few Midnight Pumpkins into the fold and once the grasshoppers/lunches come through we will add those too.

Neil

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the topic, but ref the Blazing Star - Tamiya are still producing all the spares for this car (which is still in limited production) and they're all still current... but they have stopped production on the chassis-specific hop-ups now so you can't buy a-new the upgraded prop shaft, carbon chassis or the alloy shocks referenced on the box. Same goes for the Dirt Thrasher (which is just a Manta Ray with a body swap).

Cheers for the info, I just got a little confused on the blazing star subject, as I read somewhere that the chassis was originally used around '82 in another model, and got things a little mixed up :)

Hi

I was hopeing someone would be able to clear this up for me.

I have been searching the forums looking for replacent wheels for an original grasshopper, as after nearly 20 years the rubber hubs inside the front wheels have distorted and are leaving alot of play in them. From what I've found HPI do a converstion kit to run the new hex type wheels but I could only find them for sale in a uS shop. So is there any alternative in the uK I can use? or any wheel that fit straight on? I know the re-release is just around the corner but i would rather get this sorted sooner rather then later :)

Thanks

Chad

Btw, is the blazing star classed as a vintage model now? as it seems specific parts are being discontinued.

Why are you getting rid of the whole wheel, when from your post, it sounds like just the plastic bushings are worn?  Install bearing on your front wheels and problem should be solved.  Much better, especially if its a runner. The hex conversion will only be needed for the rear wheel if you are planning on using modern wheels.  If you go the hex route, the fronts, you will need a set for a 2wd which will use the same bearing no matter what.  Hope this clears it up some.

Armand

*edit: Serves me right cruising the board this late (1 am my time).  I just replied to an almost 2 year old thread. 

I have a question somewhat relating to this topic; I have recently aquired a re-release Grasshopper and am woundering about the durability of the rear tires on pavement.  My experience with older Tamiya tires is that they wear veary quickly on pavement, especially on the buggys.  I remember running my Super Hornet on my street and having the tread completely wear out after just a few runs.  Would it be a good idea to invest in a second set of wheels and tires for on-road use, or do they hold up pretty well? 

Thanks!

B.T.W.- I'm somewhat new to the site and this is my first forum post.  Yay!

Guest DImblum
I have a question somewhat relating to this topic; I have recently aquired a re-release Grasshopper and am woundering about the durability of the rear tires on pavement.  My experience with older Tamiya tires is that they wear veary quickly on pavement, especially on the buggys.  I remember running my Super Hornet on my street and having the tread completely wear out after just a few runs.  Would it be a good idea to invest in a second set of wheels and tires for on-road use, or do they hold up pretty well? 

Thanks!

Welcome to the club!! I have found the stock tires to hold up quite well on the pavement. Mostly because your not running spike tires which wear quickly on pavement (like the Hornet rears).

Vintage street tires hold up even longer but are harder to find. Ebay mostly...

You should get a lot of hours out of the stock tires alone.. Enjoy.. 

Thanks!

Your right the buggy spikes are soft and will wear very quickly.  The sand paddles will wear better because the tire is thicker.  As dimblum mentioned, you could hunt for an aftermarket set but since the re-release, OEM tires are dirt cheap. 

Buggy spikes http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXLDW6&P=ML

sand paddles http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXLDX7&P=M

Fronts http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXLDX8&P=M

Thanks for the tips, guys!  I appreciate it.  I may think about getting some rears in the future just in case, but I'm not in a huge hurry right now (havn't even finished the paint job yet.)

I plan on running it mostly on sand, but the occasional "road trip" is inevitable.

Another good alternative are the Proline waffle tires, pretty thick rubber and fairly cheap, I have gotten a few pairs used from cars on ebay, and they all seemed to hold up well.  I imagine a new pair would last years[;)]

tower has them

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXDT89&P=7

for some reason tower picked a pair that has molding flaws for the photo[^o)]

You can also modify these to fit the original rc10 rear tires