JNSD1

What Tamiya next?

Ok brains trust, I normally wouldn't ask almost redundant questions but I'm stuck. Indecisive, undecided, lost.

I want to get the young boy his first Tamiya (he's my partners kid, turning 9. My daughter already has a lot of cars ;) )

He liked the look of the Frog that my daughter has, but I want to get a car that I do not have, but also don't like the 'lesser' quality kits.

I currently have: 

Daughter: Lunchbox, Hotshot, Frog, Me: Javelin, Bruiser, TRX4, Egress, Avante, Porsche 40th.

A lot of the above are out of the price range (mainly all my cars), as do not want to go bananas for his first kit. I am currently using the Javelin a lot, and have noticed how much better it is than the Hotshot in all measures, plastic quality, drivetrain, build quality (also a marginally different price bracket as you all know).

I was thinking of getting him either: Boomerang or Bigwig, but frankly why I'm stuck is that I'm pretty underwhelmed with the Hotshot after wanting it for so long, and the Boomerang and Bigwig are basically Hotshots...

I ideally would love to get him the Top Force but can not get it anywhere now as they're all sold out (well for a reasonable price that is... Tower have them for extortion money and the odd one on eBay as well for top dollar)

I have no preference for 2WD or 4WD. Budget want to keep it at around $300AUD.

So, first question, does anyone have a spare Top Force they want to sell me ;) 

Second question, should I be looking at more modern iterations or have I missed a vintage re-re kit that I should be looking at? Maybe Fast Attack or Fighting Buggy? (He wants a buggy style...)

Thanks team.

The Manta Ray is still widely available, would that work? 

I'm a big fan of the Boomerang, you can't really go wrong with it for a 9yo, its pretty bulletproof and the only downside is the large turning circle. Mine runs a 13.5T brushless and goes well in the backyard.

Another which may fit that budget is a DB01 Durga. RCJaz have them in stock for under NZD300, so with shipping that might squeeze under your AUD300 cap. Thats assuming you have radio gear etc on top and don't want to get everything for AUD300...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The Manta Ray is still widely available, would that work? 

I'm a big fan of the Boomerang, you can't really go wrong with it for a 9yo, its pretty bulletproof and the only downside is the large turning circle. Mine runs a 13.5T brushless and goes well in the backyard.

Another which may fit that budget is a DB01 Durga. RCJaz have them in stock for under NZD300, so with shipping that might squeeze under your AUD300 cap. Thats assuming you have radio gear etc on top and don't want to get everything for AUD300...

Great suggestions, unfortunately, I never liked the Manta Ray style so couldn't bring myself to buy it. Looking at the Durga, sort of opens up the whole modern line of Tamiya which is interesting. I literally know NOTHING about any of them! Metro Hobbies have the Plasma Edge II Black Metallic for $200, do you know anything about that? https://metrohobbies.com.au/tamiya-plasma-edge-ii-black-metallic-tt-02b-off-road- rc-kit.html

Also was looking at the Super Astute but it won't be released in time for his Birthday (Dec 3). GAHHHHH.

2 minutes ago, JNSD1 said:

Great suggestions, unfortunately, I never liked the Manta Ray style so couldn't bring myself to buy it. Looking at the Durga, sort of opens up the whole modern line of Tamiya which is interesting. I literally know NOTHING about any of them! Metro Hobbies have the Plasma Edge II Black Metallic for $200, do you know anything about that? https://metrohobbies.com.au/tamiya-plasma-edge-ii-black-metallic-tt-02b-off-road- rc-kit.html

Also was looking at the Super Astute but it won't be released in time for his Birthday (Dec 3). GAHHHHH.

The DB01 is really the end of the line for Tamiya buggies...well the TRF kits are still around, but the DB01 was the last kit that you could call a club racer. 

I have the Plasma Edge II, but the standard one, not the black metallic version. Its just a TT02B which are fine but low level kits. Perfect for a backyard basher and pretty bulletproof, but you will notice the difference between it and a higher level kit. Performance is basically the same as a rere buggy. It handles better onroad than a rere, but not as capable offroad due to the lower ride height.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The DB01 is really the end of the line for Tamiya buggies...well the TRF kits are still around, but the DB01 was the last kit that you could call a club racer. 

I have the Plasma Edge II, but the standard one, not the black metallic version. Its just a TT02B which are fine but low level kits. Perfect for a backyard basher and pretty bulletproof, but you will notice the difference between it and a higher level kit. Performance is basically the same as a rere buggy. It handles better onroad than a rere, but not as capable offroad due to the lower ride height.

Ok so if I go a modern one, go the DB01 platform as it's far superior to the TT02B then? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JNSD1 said:

Ok so if I go a modern one, go the DB01 platform as it's far superior to the TT02B then? 

I would. I have 2 TT02B, 3 rere and 6 racecars in the fleet and while I have fun with the TT02B mucking around in the backyard the racecars just do everything better. The rere's look better though. 

The TT02B is the most modern but its very much entry level, compared to the DB01 which is now about 10years old but was a decent club racer. The DB01RR would still do ok at club level.

The DB01 is probably overkill for a 9yo but I'm not one to talk - my 5yo has a HB D413 setup for 17.5T stock class.

• Haha 1

Let's be honest, it's kinda about me as well here ;) 

I build them mostly and when the kids aren't around, I'll use them!

The more I look the more I want the Top Force. Surely there is somewhere with a decent price on one.... Learned my lesson again on that one, had one in my cart about 5 months ago, stupidly didn't pull the trigger.

Manta rays are currently $89 US in Hong Kong, stick a Top Force shell on it....they are the same basic setup less hop ups

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snappy1 said:

Manta rays are currently $89 US in Hong Kong, stick a Top Force shell on it....they are the same basic setup less hop ups

Really? Mind = blown if that's accurate.

8 minutes ago, JNSD1 said:

Really? Mind = blown if that's accurate.

Yeah, both DF01 chassis.

There are a few shops here with the Top Force in stock, I have been resisting buying one as I have enough, but want a Top Force and Super Astute for vintage racing, not that it really exists anywhere...

12 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Yeah, both DF01 chassis.

There are a few shops here with the Top Force in stock, I have been resisting buying one as I have enough, but want a Top Force and Super Astute for vintage racing, not that it really exists anywhere...

Is it just the tub chassis that is different?

model_58100_05-1.jpg

1200_chassis_df-01.jpg

Basically the Manta ray shares the same chassis and dimensions, but the top force has hop up fibreglass reinforced plastic chassis plates and shock towers, which can all be added at a later date, 

The manta ray would make an excellent basher buggy, you just need to fit an aluminium motor mount and your ready to bash, they will also take brushless power no issue at all, I run a 8.5 turn in my top force evo runner.

If you head down this path, read Kontemax's articles regarding strengthening the rear shock tower and top gearbox cover, very very easy mods to increase durability and very cheap

• Like 1

I can't argue with any of the above suggestions (particularly the DB01!) but as a 2wd aside, the Neo Fighter on the DT03 chassis is cheap and a lot of fun, and it comes with Frog decals so you can dress it up like a Frog even though its a modern layoir chassis. With some weight over the front axle and some better front tyres, plus a bit of shock tuning it's a lot of fun, but you do need to do that tuning to get it handling. Whether you are into that or not is up to you. TBH if you like the Top Force that much you can't really lose getting Manta Ray and swapping the shells. A new Ray shell will sell for reasonable money too. 

• Like 3

I'll just quickly weigh in as I share the opinion with the Manta Ray looks. Mine was a vintage restore but without much effort I sold the shell and wheels and bought something I liked the look of. I modified it to fit the tub chassis but it's simple enough and the frame is well worth it from a performance point of view, amazing fun to drive, lots of hop ups available.

cHUsALq.jpg

I'd say about perfect for a 9 year old.

• Like 1

Ohhhhh So tempting. However can't find:

Top Force Mount Bag (9405710)

Top Force Press Parts Bag (9405707)

Top Force Shaft Bag (9405701)

Top Force Screw Bag A (9465396)

Top Force Screw Bag B (9465397)

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 7.30.20 pm.png

For a 9 year old, I vote Hornet or DT03 Neo Fighter. Both are cheap but offer lots of fun. 

• Like 1

DT03 Racing fighter would be good starter buggy. Enjoyable for the older driver too.

That or get the Lunch Box a friend in the form of a Pumpkin.

• Like 1

As @Jonathon Gillham says above, you can still get a Top Force across the ditch: https://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/radio-control-robots/cars/electric/listing-1844438224.htm

I'd perhaps start with a cheap Manta Ray. If the lad shows an enduring interest then you can always upgrade the Manta Ray or get a Top Force.

On the other hand, if you want to extract some build pleasure then hands down get the Top Force, it's no competition. The Manta Ray is really a POS to build. Get bearings for either.

• Like 1

What about the Dirt Thrasher, a Manta Ray with a different shell basically. 

20181116_144632.jpg

DF02 is like a grandchild of Top Force. (well, there is DF03 too)  

It's not a top of the line model, but I would be rather hesitant to have a 9 year old bash Top Force.  This is a worry-free basher.   

[DF02 Gravel Hound]

7Mf8Y2i.jpg

[DF02 Aero Avante]

bvTTwWJ.jpg

For 2WD, DT-02 is also a good buggy.  

w7Z9UF5.jpg

Those are pretty fast buggies for a 9 year old.  Did you look at the Comical Grasshopper? they can bounce around and take a hit.  Looks like something out of Mario Kart too so could be very enticing for a young kid.   I guess some 9 year old kids could still be in to fast buggies but just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Firstly, thank you so much to the brains trust on all the great answers and thoughts. Most appreciated. My God, I'm in a rabbit hole now looking at the DF02, DF03, DT02 etc. Hard to pick all the differences in a sweeping nutshell from what I've researched. I found TamiyaBase very helpful, haven't ever really used it but it's certainly an amazing resource and clearly a labour of love: https://tamiyabase.com/chassis 

It was so confusing to me I started to visually lay out the lineage as I've never looked into it. This helped me a bit more to get my head around the naming conventions.

As to what's the decision? Well, I'm now leaning towards a 4WD more modern chassis to see what they're like. A part of me wants to go all out and do the dual belt DB01 Durga style but it's going to be out of the budget. The style of the Neo Scorcher is also visually pleasing to me - looks old school but of course, that's the TT-02B chassis, which I haven't even looked at the lineage and what it all means apart from another mid-motor mount shaft driven 4WD.

It's certainly confusing if you haven't been taking notice over the past 20+ years!

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 3.50.57 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 3.49.53 pm.png