Sign in to follow this  
Ashicar

Midnight pumpkin build - please help!

I am looking to build a midnight pumpkin but need some advice on which motor to use (preferably super stock), servos and esc. Also I will be looking to upgrade the stocks. Any other tips or suggested upgrades would be appreciated! Maximum spend (excluding the car itself) £200

Thanks, Ashicar

Greetings, The Pumpkin is an excellent build for sure! You will want ball bearings, any standard sized servo will do nicely since its not a big and heavy model, so you do not need an crazy expensive servo. I just use the Tamiya TBLE-02s. I have a Lunchbox with a BZ motor on this ESC, and it works just fine. But be aware you will need to glue the tires to the wheels or they will slip the whole time its running. For dampers I just use Tamiya CVA's made for the CW-01. Tamiya made them in standard yellow, limited edition white, and  black. BTW the sport tuned motor is also an excellent choice, it is a tad bit milder and easier to control those wheelies.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hobbimaster said:

Greetings, The Pumpkin is an excellent build for sure! You will want ball bearings, any standard sized servo will do nicely since its not a big and heavy model, so you do not need an crazy expensive servo. I just use the Tamiya TBLE-02s. I have a Lunchbox with a BZ motor on this ESC, and it works just fine. But be aware you will need to glue the tires to the wheels or they will slip the whole time its running. For dampers I just use Tamiya CVA's made for the CW-01. Tamiya made them in standard yellow, limited edition white, and  black. BTW the sport tuned motor is also an excellent choice, it is a tad bit milder and easier to control those wheelies.

All great tips, I’m just about to put a Sports Tuned motor in our LB and fit yellow CVA’s.

Apart from bearing and allloy body posts I think anything else is nice to have but not essential.

In time Id like to add some Ampro Hop Ups really for my own pleasure. 

• Like 2

agree with all the above - only thing I'd add is the Team CRP front end conversion kit - takes a little tinkering, but really worth it in terms of improving handling. Oh, and a 3rd/5th shock mod of course.

• Like 2

I'd recommend the AMPro transmission brace and, seeing as you're upgrading your shocks, the VagabondStar Project front chassis brace. Both are available via Shapeways. The AMpro front end is good if you're not going to drive hard/crazy. The CRP front end is injection moulded so will stand up to more abuse if you're going to thrash it about. If you're going to use your Pumpkin solely Off-Road then I recommend locking your diff too. Both AMPro and I have versions available in our Shapeways shops. TBH AMPro has loads of stuff I'd recommend, my Pumpkin is decked out with his CW01 front end as well, and all his stuff is really well designed. It's just a shame that 3D printing isn't the cheapest or strongest option...

• Like 2

I'd suggest not gluing the front tyres, and only putting a couple of small spots on the rears.

Have broken a couple of front wheels on the LB, and no glue makes tyre changes a breeze :lol:

No issues breaking rear wheels so far, but just in case...

Sport Tuned is plenty of motor for these.

Chassis braces are nice to have, and also inexpensive.

5th shock mod or fixed stay (which I prefer) is worthwhile.

High torque servo saver is next on my list of mods, as i feel the stock one is too soft. But may add to the broken front wheel issue :blink:

• Like 1

It looks like Tamiya discontinued the yellow CVA set. I'm really disappointed by that, such good value. I have them in my Lunchbox and several other models, even some of my big Nikko trucks.

Thinking a Hobbywing QUICRUN 1060 esc and Tactic TSX45 servo with a Super Sport bz and modelsport midnight pumpkin ball bearings. Still unsure about the shocks though (due to the yellow cva set being discontinued and the short shock set being v.expensive☹). Also any tips on going brushless and the fifth shock upgrade also appreciated 👍😀

There are always alternative dampers out there. I use G-Made piggyback shocks on my Pumpkin. Here's a link to my FB album (if it works)

1 minute ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

There are always alternative dampers out there. I use G-Made piggyback shocks on my Pumpkin. Here's a link to my FB album (if it works)

Thanks - i was getting worried no-one was going to help!

Transmission brace is well worth it

Need to be careful with shocks. I got absima for mine and they were way to stiff and over damped, so costs nearly as much as buying another more expensive shock getting springs and oil. Can't really help beyong that as I gave up and got Tamiya CVAs

• Like 1

Just now, ThunderDragonCy said:

Transmission brace is well worth it

Need to be careful with shocks. I got absima for mine and they were way to stiff and over damped, so costs nearly as much as buying another more expensive shock getting springs and oil. Can't really help beyong that as I gave up and got Tamiya CVAs

Thanks for the warning they looked tempting on Ebay as they were cheap 

27 minutes ago, Ashicar said:

Vagabondstar JXF sorry but the link is faulty. Please could you send a url?

No worries. I hope this works...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/VagabondStarProject/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1030461010377327

I usually stick to Tamiya for my dampers. Sure, they're pricey but they've never let me down... yet. Whatever you pick, make sure you get the correct length dampers/shocks and fitting them should be fairly simple. All you'd need are the Tamiya "Spring Mounts", some correct length M3 screws and lock nuts, and you're pretty much good to go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

No worries. I hope this works...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/VagabondStarProject/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1030461010377327

I usually stick to Tamiya for my dampers. Sure, they're pricey but they've never let me down... yet. Whatever you pick, make sure you get the correct length dampers/shocks and fitting them should be fairly simple. All you'd need are the Tamiya "Spring Mounts", some correct length M3 screws and lock nuts, and you're pretty much good to go.

Yeah I will just have to suck up the cost☹. Any tips on the motor or going brushless?

I might be the wrong person to ask about motors and batteries as I stick to the old-school brushed motors with NiCd/NiMh batteries combination. This type of combo tends to be cheap as chips nowadays. If you look around I'm sure you'll find some good brushless combos at decent prices. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

• Like 1

Lunchie is pretty lively even on a basic motor so I would worry too much about brushless. However if you are buying from Modelsport the Tamiya tble02s ESC from the kit will run mild brushless. 17.5t would be plenty. Just ask them to solder the connectors for the motor on for you. Only costs a few quid. 

• Like 1

Indeed - the stock speed controller is quite capable of running the sort of brushless motors that will suit the CW-01 chassis.

On the TBLE-02, 21.5t will be about the same as the stock silver can in terms of performance, but with longer runtimes. 17.5t is about the same as a black can in terms of performance, again with longer runtimes. 13.5t is simular to a TZ, but without the need for comm maintenance and - you guessed it - longer runtimes. 

(Of course if you swap out the ESC for one with advancable timing, the above motors would all perform more strongly.)

3 minutes ago, Ashicar said:

Yes they're the correct ones and yes you'll need 2 pairs. Have you looked elsewhere/shopped around for a better price?