Sign in to follow this  
Ashicar

Clodbuster upgrades

Not my idea really - I adopted it from the MOA crawler fraternity. It has advantages even in a non-crawler context though.

For example we know that a car transfers its weight onto the front wheels under braking, which is why full-size cars have bigger disks up front since the front wheels do most of the work. Twin ESCs allow one to set the front motor to brake harder than the rear, emulating this arrangement.

Maybe this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but on my clod (dual brushless with two escs, front wheel turning only) I did the opposite. 

I set the front brake to be much weaker than the rear, to eliminate the possibility of front flips. Now under hard braking the rear drags, which also helps with turning sharply (the rear tires break loose). 

I set a mild drag brake on the front esc, so as I come through a turn if I just let go of the throttle a little, I get much more steering authority as the front tires slow down and cause the weight to shift forward. 

Lastly, I reduced the punch and reduced power to the rear motor to tame wheelies. This keeps the front on the ground a bit more and lets the front motor do its share of the work in accelerating the truck. Before doing this, I could clearly see the front wheels only skimming the ground under acceleration, and I measured the rear motor at 10-15 degrees warmer than the rear after every run. Now the motors are closer in temp after a run. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

So,......my teasing yesterday worked?

Yeah super clod on its way :D!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashicar said:

Yeah super clod on its way :D!!!

To be honest, I couldn't imagine spending 200 just to upgrade a lunchbox, so I had to suggest spending it on a clod instead. 

Now I need to tell you about the WT-01 chassis...……..  :)  :) :P

• Thanks 1