Sign in to follow this  
Ashicar

Will this work in my clod? Is there a better cheap alternative?

You don't have to use mod motors, but if you don't then the motors must be set at zero timing.
The ones you've linked to are ok provided the ESC can handle 2 x 17t, but just remember the timing on one motor has to mirror the timing on the other - +10 on front = -10 on rear (+/- about zero marking)

That won't work, the manual is a bit daft, but when using two motor's you have to double the T of the motor mentioned. For the 860 it's >24T for each motor connection. It may work with with less T but wouldn't go to low.

You can get two cheapo brushless systems for 25 each?. 

GoolRC

OCDAY.

I got a load of the ocday ones and they have been fine so far, using 3 in the 6wd, no problems.

3300kv motor x 7.2volts = 23,760 RPM. I think a 27T silver can is around 14,000RPM?

2000kvmotor @7.2 volts= 14,400 RPM, 

so, somewhere between 2000kv and 3300kv would suit.

One of the advantages of sensorless brushless in this situation is that the motors have no physical timing. All timing is handled by the ESC, so all you have to do for the front motor is swap two of the three motor cables around and it will run perfectly. No physical timing adjustment required.

Isn't the Hobbywing 860 capable of running 4S LiPo ? I'd be tempted to get a 3S LiPo or try running a couple of 2SLiPo in series That will be more than fast enough, although I'm not sure if silver cans will survive 4S LiPo for long...…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

You can get two cheapo brushless systems for 25 each?. 

GoolRC

OCDAY.

I got a load of the ocday ones and they have been fine so far, using 3 in the 6wd, no problems.

3300kv motor x 7.2volts = 23,760 RPM. I think a 27T silver can is around 14,000RPM?

2000kvmotor @7.2 volts= 14,400 RPM, 

so, somewhere between 2000kv and 3300kv would suit.

Where do you buy your ocday ones from? Will they work with my setup?

24 minutes ago, Ashicar said:

Will the ocday ones run in the 860?

The 860 is a brushed ESC, which only works with brushed motors. However the Ocdays (and other similar budget brushless setups) usually come as a combo with motor and ESC included, so you don't need to buy an ESC separately. 

Yes the 860 will accept 4s lipo but I have burnt out a silver can pretty quickly, it was smoking after a few minutes.

No the 860 will not run brushless motors.

I would try a Lipo first as Madinventer suggested, it's the cheapest bang for buck.

The Ocday  ESC I have is brushless and sensorless and will only run brushless sensorless motors, receiver and servos will be compatible.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoolRC-Waterproof-3660-3300KV-Brushless-Motor-with-60A-ESC-Combo-Set-Z9C0/332836524353?epid=831243259&hash=item4d7e9a5141:g:IVMAAOSwHMhbvsd3:rk:22:pf:0

This is the longer 60mm can, but its the cheapest combo I spotted currently, would have to check the clod to see if the longer can would fit.

You would need 2, but your Clod would fly and have a small amount of adjustment of brakes, drag brake, voltage cut off and acceleration.

Here is a 3650 motor with ESC on Banggood.  

https://www.banggood.com/Surpass-Hobby-Waterproof-3650-3900KV-Brushless-RC-Car-Motor-With-60A-ESC-Set-For-RC-Car-p-1298114.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

3660 has a 5mm shaft.  99% of all pinions are designed to fit 540 motor's 3.175 mm shafts (not 5mm).  It'd be difficult to find a pinion that fits the 5mm shaft.  Since one motor runs one axle, 3650 would be more than adequate.  (My Konghead runs 3 axles on one 3650 motor)  

@waterbok is right, the instruction on 860 is silly.  It should say "Motor Limit: 24T."  

Quicrun 1060 and 860 are both 60A rated.  1060 is rated for one 12t motor.  Instruction for 860 also says 12T motor, which cannot be.  If we follow the technical data of 1060, 860 should allow 24T motor.  

My recommendation would be to get two 27T motors.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTAR-540-27T-3-17mm-Brushed-Motor-for-1-10-On-road-Drift-Touring-RC-Car-ZW/253956726910?hash=item3b2100207e:g:6C8AAOSw9h9b2CR4:rk:30:pf:0

Why bother getting 27T motors at whopping $9.50 each, when a silver can is 27t?  Because these come with ball bearings, and it's easy to mess with their timing. (You can't disassemble the end bell on Mabuchi 540)  Initially, just play with 0-timing.   

When you get tired and want some more power, just change the timing on these by 5-10 degrees.  Loosen two bolts on the end bell, twist a bit, and voila, you've changed the timing.  They'll work just like 24T motors.  They draw more amp, run faster, produce more torque, and wear out faster, etc, etc.  Clod being the way it is, one motor's timing would go one way, the other would go the opposite way.  It'd be like running the black motors, which should be fast enough for the Clod.  

Run that for a few months, and if you still want more power, then upgrade to brushless.  Two ESCs, two fans, and two motors.  Personally, I am really bothered by those loud fans, so I kept one 860 and 2 silver cans on my Wild Dagger.  It's no Clod, but it's like two motors on a Blackfoot.  I felt no need to go faster.  Clod is much heavier.  So if you really want to see it tearing up the playground, two brushless motors and a big 5000mAh battery would be a way to go. (of course, it would be less controllable)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, Juggular said:

if you still want more power, then upgrade to brushless.

Brushless is a lot of fun. Here's mine, no change from off-road setup, on a speed run: 

• Like 2

lol... Clod going at that speed is kinda scary...

It would break my ankle if I run myself over at 69km.  Definitely cool though.