Sign in to follow this  
Kaminagayuchi

Cat XLS Masami vs Egress 2013

Hello everyone,

I search a comparison about this two cars : Schum Cat XLS Masami vs Tam Egress.

I search a vintage car to run on astrostuff and carpet. 

In the beginning I thunk the Egress is a good car not perfect like a Top Force but good enough for astro and carpet. It’s easy to find videos of an Egress built and videos of the Egress runs on-road or on a parking. But it’s difficult to find a video of a run of an Egress on real off-road track. 

It’s easier to find videos on real offroad track of a Cat XLS (especially with Masami) and in this videos the chassis seems so perfect. 

Can you give me your opinion about this 2 cars, please ?

Thank you for your answer. 

I hope you understand me... my english it isn’t perfect, sorry

I'd go for the cat XLS! Although the egress is a fully capable buggy the xls just had the edge on racing I've used them both on astroturf on the same day and if built properly the cat definitely had the edge (although my cat has picked up a rear clicking gearbox) probably needs some adjustment somewhere?.......Hopefully😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd buy the xls, I love my Egress but for racing the Cat

• Like 1

The Cat is ( & was) a true competition beast, but needs a lot of experience in Setting up ( and building :D). But in the right hands, it's a Weapon while the Egress is more of a Poser ( nice to look at but fragile & heavy).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your answers 😉

For the Cat, I know the optional transmission is necessary to mount a big motor. 

I know the manual isn’t like a Tamiya manual... I like the simplicity of Tamiya manuals. It’s a pleasure to build a Tamiya car and certainly an Egress. 

I like the Tamiya philosophy : nice box, clear manual, pretty parts and body. 

To resume with a CAT XLS it’s more complicated to assemblate the car but it’s a real race car, designed for that and really performing. It’s possible to set dampers positions, toe in and out but is it possible to adjust the camber on front and rear ?

I feared the weight of the Egress... in the beginning I wanted a Avante 2011 but the obligatory options (steering, ball diff), the weight, the dampers positions and the reliability cooled me.

The Egress haven’t correct this disadvantages ?

The Egress isn’t enough performing on carpet and astro ?

3 hours ago, scoobybooster said:

The Cat is ( & was) a true competition beast, but needs a lot of experience in Setting up ( and building :D). But in the right hands, it's a Weapon while the Egress is more of a Poser ( nice to look at but fragile & heavy).

You hit the nail on the head with your opinion😉 and definitely the cat is a kit for the more experienced kit builder but a fabulous buggy if built and set up properly!

3 hours ago, Kaminagayuchi said:

Thank you for your answers 😉

For the Cat, I know the optional transmission is necessary to mount a big motor. 

I know the manual isn’t like a Tamiya manual... I like the simplicity of Tamiya manuals. It’s a pleasure to build a Tamiya car and certainly an Egress. 

I like the Tamiya philosophy : nice box, clear manual, pretty parts and body. 

To resume with a CAT XLS it’s more complicated to assemblate the car but it’s a real race car, designed for that and really performing. It’s possible to set dampers positions, toe in and out but is it possible to adjust the camber on front and rear ?

I feared the weight of the Egress... in the beginning I wanted a Avante 2011 but the obligatory options (steering, ball diff), the weight, the dampers positions and the reliability cooled me.

The Egress haven’t correct this disadvantages ?

The Egress isn’t enough performing on carpet and astro ?

On carpet and astro the new Egress is a beast. You can't beat it's bomb proof differentials and it handles really well on grippy smooth surfaces.

• Like 1

Some things to consider. The Cat XLS and the Avante were more contemporaries, the Cat being obviously more competitive. The Egress was a bit further along in development, fixing many of the Avante's faults. Jamie Booth drove both the Egress and the Cat and offered several observations about them in an interview. He stated, as stock, the Egress could be very "nervous" initially and them lack steering in the middle of the corner. It appears many of the mods made to his Egress development mule were done in an effort to correct this. The Cat he described as "hard to drive but also very rewarding as the hard work resulted in very fast lap". At any rate, as sublime as the Cat can be, I'd choose my personal favorite, the Egress. On carpet or astro, I'd think many of the Egress's shortcomings would not be as apparent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Some things to consider. The Cat XLS and the Avante were more contemporaries, the Cat being obviously more competitive. The Egress was a bit further along in development, fixing many of the Avante's faults. Jamie Booth drove both the Egress and the Cat and offered several observations about them in an interview. He stated, as stock, the Egress could be very "nervous" initially and them lack steering in the middle of the corner. It appears many of the mods made to his Egress development mule were done in an effort to correct this. The Cat he described as "hard to drive but also very rewarding as the hard work resulted in very fast lap". At any rate, as sublime as the Cat can be, I'd choose my personal favorite, the Egress. On carpet or astro, I'd think many of the Egress's shortcomings would not be as apparent.

Great points, id also like to add that Tamiya's inclusion of a threaded rod for the steering servo has made the steering alot more direct. I improved this further by eliminating the use of a servo saver.

Yes you understood me the surface is a important parameter.

Have you modified the steering plate to increase the akermann effect and correct the curve behavior ?

On videos the CAT XLS is very impressive in curve.