Carrera124

Collector's holy grail - or: how confusing is the Tyrrell P34

I guess, that most of you have their own "holy grail" car in mind, which is out of reach or incredible expensive.

As a collector of XB models, for me is the 84165 XB Tyrrell P34. I am looking for it for years, but without success.
What makes things difficult, is that Tamiya re-released the P34 in a confusing variety of not less than 7 different models, 4 kits and 3 XB versions.
So, if an 84165 appeared at Ebay or elsewhere, the seller always had another car (or kit), and simply chose the wrong item number due to confusion.

To make things clear, a small table of all releases

• 58003 original kit, with ABS body
  • 49154 kit, re-release from 2000, with ABS body
  • 57738 XB version of 49154
  • 84111 kit from 2009, with lexan body
  • 84165 XB version of 84111
  • 84263 kit from 2012, with lexan body
  • 84260 XB version of 84263
  • 47359 kit from 2017, with lexan body
  • so far, no XB version of 47359

So, if any of you knows where to get an 84165, please let me know :-)

1 hour ago, skinned said:

There's something odd about that listing because the title indicates 84165, but the description indicates 84111-000.  The seller will have to clarify.

I only peeked in this thread because I wasn't aware of how many releases there are of the P34.  Good luck!

Actually there are not so many reissues, because the car is available in several versions. '76, '77 livery, with completely different body and painting. I notice again and again that many are not at all aware of the differences, one speaks simply always only of the "Tamiya Tyrrell" or "SixWheeler".

I suppose Tamiya's multiple releases of the Tyrrell P34 in its different guises is commensurate with everyone else's fascination with the car. Cynically, it is a way to use up several outgoing F103 parts and those unique components for the front wheels, but the fact that new shells were developed for the chassis suggests, to me, there was more than that at work for the many releases of the P34.

It is not quite the same as reusing the body moulds for the JGTC Skyline GT-R to produce the Pennzoil Nismo, Calsonic, and Loctite Zexel GT-R kits, even if the polycarbonate releases are similar to each other.

Whatever the case, I feel Tamiya made an excellent effort at replicating an unusual racing car, both then and now. I seem to remember reading that the handling could definitely use some front-end ballast, more so than a regular F103, to get those tiny front wheels working.

Best of luck on your search!