Returner

Lipo advice please

I’ve just bought two lipos and charger (see attached photo) and am going to chuck them in my madbull and my sand viper is there anything I should know/do before I try this ? 

Sorry for the question but bring old school I’ve never used lipos before. 

0773ACD4-3F95-4B6B-9B31-63F2DAC164CB.jpeg

What ESC are you using? 
If the ESC your using does not have a voltage cutoff for lipo's you will need a lipo Alarm of some sort.
You can get them off ebay cheap enough 

• Like 1

You will be ok with the 1060 ESC. It has lipo cutout. Just make sure the ESC's jumper is in the correct position for lipo running.

Balance charge the packs every time and balance store them every use to get the best life out of them. 

Quicrun 1060 has 2S cutoff at 6v.  That's a bit low.  But it will reduce the power to half at 6.5v, slowing the car down.  I would stop running then.  

Maybe a fireproof bag to charge in and store in?  (and if your home doesn't have one, a fire extinguisher too?)  

Oh so many questions.... 

1. ESC jumper ? What’s that ? 

2. Balance charge ?  Balance store ? 

3. So you would stop using them ? Why ? 

Sorry 

1. ESC has 2 little plugs in it, there are 3 holes but only 2 pins on plug, there are settings on ESC that can be adjusted by moving the plugs.

2. It looks like your charger will balance automatically, make sure balance lead ( small JST plug) is plugged in while charging.

3. It is bad to discharge a lipo below 3volts per cell as it may not re-charge. Check ESC instructions for cut off settings.

Wolfdog explained well, so I'll just add a photo. 

You can see that mine is set for Forward/Brake/Reverse, and NiMH.  Make sure to set the bottom one to LiPo.  NiMH cutoff is much lower, you don't want that to ruin your LiPo.  

Quicrun manual says the cutoff is at 3v.  But it will slow down at 3.5v (per cell).  If you drain more, it could slowly kill the battery.  So it's better to stop when the car slows at about 3.5v per cell (7v).  

[Jumpers are circled]

1fSjtZA.jpg

PTi8RqJ.jpg

The balance lead is circled in your photo.  That has to be plugged into your charger as well as the main plug.  It will make sure each of the two cells inside are charged at the same rate.  What often happened with NiCd and NiMh packs was that one of the 6 cells would get weak, and other ones would be strong.  You get 7.2v, but one cell would be 1.4v, one cell would be 1v, instead of all six being 1.2v.  In the end, one hungry cell would simply die. 

LiPo could burn when one cell is overcharged.  Both cells have to be 3.7v, instead of one being 3v, the other being 4.4v.  That balance lead allows the charger to check both cells constantly.  

Also, when you are not using the battery, do the "storage charge/drain."  LiPo battery doesn't like to be fully charged.  If you charge LiPo to the max, the voltage is actually like 3.9v per cell.  It's good when you are running the car.  But if you keep it at high voltage for days and weeks, that's not good.  I think I've read that even 1 day of full charge is damaging.  I imagine if you keep 5200mAh battery at max charge for a week, it would turn into a 5000mAh battery.    

Most chargers have the storage charge function.  It will charge up to 60% if your battery is drained, it will drain down to 60% if your battery is fully charged.  If your charger doesn't have that function, just ballpark it by charging it about half by time.  (if it takes 2 hours to charge, charge only 1 hour to store. You can charge it to max right before you run it)  

I have been using the same lipo's for a year now, so far, these are the best lipo's I have used.

Still not puffed, all my other lipos have puffed up like pillows,

Got 4 of the 4000mah 7.2volts flureons last year for £10 in the sale, through a link (tip off) on this site. They have been brilliant so far.

Hoping I can get another cheap load this year. :) 

How's the Sand Viper doing??

Wolf, viper is great thank you and thanks for the advice. 

Wooders, great informative articule thank you I’ll digest that over a few reads. 

• Haha 1