acprc

Tamiya TGS XBG Nitro restoration

So some pictures as promised from the clean up process.

Car was stripped so that the parts could be cleaned, it was quite a messy one this time

IMG-4484.jpg

And then every part or assembly (like a shock) was washed in hot soapy water. The colour of the water gives away just how bad this one was.

IMG-4485.jpg

Everything was then washed again and dried before individual work on parts that needed it like the diffs, shocks etc

IMG-4487.jpg

The radio gear was cleaned individually

IMG-4492.jpg

and what hardware I have that wasnt damaged

IMG-4491.jpg

and a picture of the damaged diff gear.

IMG-4488.jpg

More to come over the next few days as I start to rebuild her with new parts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So today I got some time to work on the TGS. The new Diff ring gear had arrived so both of the diff's were taken apart, re greased and the new gear fitted. 

The fuel tank lid was replaced after the tank had been cleaned, new foam in the air filter and a new urethane was fitted.

IMG-5745.jpg

The metal engine mount had the brake arm and pad fitted, cleaned up quite well considering how bad it was.

IMG-5746.jpg

The replacement throttle servo and the new servo saver were fitted to the top deck.

IMG-5744.jpg

and then I started to put the car back together. Nice clean and working radio gear

IMG-5749.jpg

and then the front and rear gearboxes were put on, when doing the axles I used new but original to the kit plastic bushes.

IMG-5748.jpg

and it now looks like this. Top deck on next then the engine restoration.

IMG-5747.jpg

Engine will be stripped and cleaned over the next few days. Stay tuned.

• Like 3

Managed to get a few more bits done in between Christmas jobs!

Top deck went on and nearly all the screws are in place to hold it down, the gear cover was fitted after the gears were greased up. Fuel tank fitted (one screw to add), metal engine mount plate, front and rear underguards and the brake arm. The access cover for the RC gear was also fitted.

As ever with these cars they use a few particular screws and I ran out of a few. I always use the correct Tamiya screws rather than any old screws from my collection. I usually trawl Ebay using a "Tamiya screw bag" search ordered from lowest to highest cost. Managed to get all of the screws I needed (plus more for the collection) in a few bags. 

Front shocks to be fitted, add the missing screws and the chassis minus wheels is complete. I usually leave body posts until I have the body. I have no reference for the Skyline body and which posts it will use so need to wait until its ready to fit.

IMG-5750.jpg

• Like 2

You’ve made good progress so far. 

I’m looking forward to the engine tear-down and re-build 

• Like 1

Ok,

Below is a picture of my basic tools for engine restoration. These are what I use as long as you think the engine is going to come apart with no issues. 

IMG-5751.jpg

From left to right we have:

Compression tester

Piston stopper (screws into the glow plug hole to lock piston when removing the clutch, flywheel etc.

Glow plug wrench

Spanner to remove pilot shaft (used with piston stopper)

Tamiya screwdrivers (Large for the carb screws and small for the rest)

6mm Socket wrench for carb retainer nut (not used on this engine but shown for info)

Allen wrench for head screws

3 in 1 oil. (I use this for reassembly. some people use other light oils however this has been around for years, its reliable and I have never had any issues with it)

Baking Powder! (all will be revealed)

This is what I use to strip and assemble the engines.

Also in the picture are a complete set of screws (head, backplate and recoil) and a backplate gasket. I buy the 2.6mm screws in bulk a hundred at a time so no need to scrimp and use the old ones again.

Cleaning will be done Saturday and pictures to show the process. On top of these tools there are a few extra plastic dishes, boiling water, gloves and scrubbing brushes to go with the baking powder. I also use GT85 to stop surface rust while the engine dries.

• Like 1

Ok, so onto the engine strip down and clean.

Glow plug out

IMG-5753.jpg

Compression checked

IMG-5755.jpg

Piston stopper in

IMG-5756.jpg

and clutch bell, clutch and bearings off

IMG-5757.jpg

Spanner on pilot shaft, this works with the piston stopper to stop engine turning

IMG-5758.jpg

and the rest of the front end comes off, pilot shaft and flywheel.

IMG-5759.jpg

Recoil starter comes off. Only two screws and thats nearly always a bad sign!

IMG-5760.jpg

Head off

IMG-5761.jpg

Not forgetting there is a head gasket inside the recess

IMG-5762.jpg

Backplate and starter shaft off. There was one stubborn screw that had been damaged but all are being replaced anyway

IMG-5763.jpg

Remains of the backplate gasket. This is why you always need a new one.

IMG-5764.jpg

Piston and liner removed

IMG-5765.jpg

and crankshaft. There is one very small area of corrosion but otherwise very good condition. This is normally always caused by moisture after the engine cools down dripping off the underside of the piston. This is why after run oil always helps.

IMG-5766.jpg

Hard to photograph but the engine inside was very very clean. Just some oil residue. No rust at all.

IMG-5767.jpg

Carb off. You need good quality and good fitting screwdrivers to release the screws here as cheap ones will slip and damage the screw heads. These screws are always tight!

IMG-5769.jpg

and that leaves me with two pots. Top will be cleaned up individually by hand. The bottom goes on to be cleaned using Baking Powder and boiling kettle water. Not much in the top pot, just recoil, clutch shoes and the bearings that need to be done. 

IMG-5770.jpg

Cover with baking powder and into a sink

IMG-5772.jpg

and pour on boiling water straight from a kettle. Instantly you can see the grease and dirt lift off as the baking powder reacts.

IMG-5773.jpg

Then you need to scrub. I use rubber gloves and an assortment of brushes. Then I use a micromesh polishing stick to clean up the surfaces that need it. This is where the crank, piston liner etc get any marks removed. The stick has 4 surfaces and you work your way down through them.

IMG-5774.jpg

Then the parts are washed in warm clean water, hand dried and then soaked in GT85. GT85 is a very effective water displacer and stops any corrosion whilst drying. It is not the final lubricant for assembly.

IMG-5778.jpg

and then the parts look like this. The damp patches are the GT-85, not water.

IMG-5775.jpg

at some point in its life the engine mount screws were drilled out. You can see the drill marks on the engine casing. Again, good quality screwdrivers are a must when working on these engines as it is easy to round off screws that are stuck.

IMG-5776.jpg

IMG-5777.jpg

Now all the parts are getting left to dry and then we will start the assembly in another post. Sorry for all the pictures.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Thanks for all the details around the engine teardown and cleaning.

Thanks. Lots of ways to do this and differing people have differing methods. This one works for me and is usually quick and easy. I have however done a few now so i'm a bit quicker.

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

Great work so far. Good thread.

Thanks, slowly getting there.

• Like 1

So today I put the engine back together. I didn't take pictures of all the steps as it's basically the reverse of the disassembly, however a few things to note.

The crankcase bearings were blasted with brake cleaner and then re-oiled.

The screw holes were cleaned with a tap

All surfaces were oiled where needed

New backplate gasket and screws were used to reassemble and a new glow plug was fitted.

Engine looked liked this when finished

IMG-5782.jpg

IMG-5783.jpg

A big improvement on how it did look and I am happy with it. Compression is good as well

The exhaust was not pointing in the correct direction.

IMG-5784.jpg

IMG-5785.jpg

On the TGS it should point down so I took the TM-4 exhaust apart, cleaned the gasket surfaces, realigned it, fitted new gaskets and put it back together again.

IMG-5787.jpg

The recoil starter and bearing were cleaned and refitted with new screws and the engine is finally done.

IMG-5788.jpg 

Fitted the engine into the chassis with new screws and washers, fitted the exhaust with new screws, washers and a gasket. Fitted the plastic guard onto the chassis, fuel tubing and the air filter. Air filter is ty-wrapped into position. The missing screws on the chassis were also fitted into place. That's the chassis almost complete.

IMG-5791.jpg

On a side note I opened up the Tamiya servo that was dead. The case had a worrying bulge at the bottom!

IMG-5780.jpg

Checked continuity of the three cables using a multimeter and they were all fine. Added a few drops of oil to the bottom of the motor and got some intermittent life. Stripped out the whole motor to have a look.

IMG-5781.jpg

Couldn't get it to run reliably back and fore. I have one last option which will be to reheat the solder on the motor to discount a dry joint. After that it will be strip out a Futaba S3003 mechanism from a good servo and fit it into the Tamiya case. I'm sure its no surprise that a Tamiya TP-S3003 servo is actually just a Futaba S3003 with a Tamiya label!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So just to keep you all updated. The TGS restoration continues. The body is off getting painted in PS-59 Dark Mettalic Blue and I have been collecting some finishing parts. Managed to find one set of wheels

0347C74A-1723-43B4-BF04-2B6847BAE560.jpg

And the tyres

F81ABC12-9318-42FB-BAAF-BDBAB568AF77.jpg

That’s pretty much all the parts I need apart from another set of wheels. They were hard to find last time I needed a set but will keep looking. In the mean time I will be starting another build thread as I start to restore a TNX 5.2r Champagne Gold Edition this weekend.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kevin_Mc said:

Those wheels are very nice 😍

And hard to find. They are the SVT wheels from the kits like the Mustang Cobra And Lightning. I needed a set for my Lexus TG10 and took ages to find them. I now need one more pair. TamiyaUSA probably has them but don’t ship to the U.K. This set came from Germany.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:50 PM, acprc said:

So the car has arrived. Bubble wrapped this was all that was in the box.IMG-5730.jpg

Unwrapped it, checked all was sent and then started to examine what I had to work with.

Body is certainly knackered!

IMG-5731.jpg

IMG-5732.jpg

However as previously mentioned I always remove, clean and bag useful parts for the future. In this case the mirrors and rear spoiler

IMG-5733.jpg

The chassis was checked over to see whats what. The shock towers aren't broken so they will not need to be replaced. On the TGS like the TT-01 cars the mounts are built into the gearbox casing.

There doesn't appear to be any extra holes drilled anywhere, the diffs turn by hand (they will be stripped and cleaned anyway). There are ball bearings on most parts of the car and nothing appears to be missing.

IMG-5735.jpg

The fuel tank has no cracks, damage and the prime pump is ok. It is a little bent but boiling water usually works to straighten them out.

IMG-5734.jpg

Of course everything is dirty but thats not an issue.

Looking at the engine it is indeed an FS-12SS and the pull start works fine. I will test compression once I get to that part of the restoration.

Last thing I have done today is test the servos. These servo testers come from Ebay and cost around £4 delivered. Superb at checking any servo. Once connected you can move the servo manually, set neutral and also set the servo moving back and fore to full deflection both ways to test it.

IMG-5736.jpg

The steering servo worked fine and was reset to neutral once tested. The throttle servo showed no sign of life. I have plenty of replacements but once clean I will take it apart and see whats what.

Car has now been packed to go to Germany with me on Monday. There it will be stripped and cleaned this week prior to my return to the UK for Christmas.

More to come soon.

Please could you tell us where did you get the battery holder and wire/connector from? I'd like a servo tester but I'd like one of those battery holders, handy!

14 minutes ago, dc-arena said:

Please could you tell us where did you get the battery holder and wire/connector from? I'd like a servo tester but I'd like one of those battery holders, handy!

Hi,

Its just a standard Acoms battery box, the ones that have a removable plug from the switch. It connects to the servo tester by simply pushing onto the pins. As I write this the switched ones are probably better as I have to keep removing the battery pack to switch it off.

The servo testers are superb value for money. As I write this on ebay.co.uk they can be had for £0.99 delivered. I'm sure I paid around £1.99 for mine and it has been working fine ever since. The battery box can be found by just searching for Acoms battery box, plenty there.

Hope that helps.

11 minutes ago, acprc said:

Hi,

Its just a standard Acoms battery box, the ones that have a removable plug from the switch. It connects to the servo tester by simply pushing onto the pins. As I write this the switched ones are probably better as I have to keep removing the battery pack to switch it off.

The servo testers are superb value for money. As I write this on ebay.co.uk they can be had for £0.99 delivered. I'm sure I paid around £1.99 for mine and it has been working fine ever since. The battery box can be found by just searching for Acoms battery box, plenty there.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! I've seen the testers themselves for about £5, so I'll track down a cheaper one like you said, and since the Acoms boxes are about £8 themselves that will be handy!

Thanks for your help, look forward to seeing the rest of this build! :)

• Like 1

Welcome,

Build is just pending body painting and another set of wheels to finish her. Look out for another build on a 49460 TNX 5.2r Champagne Gold restoration I will be listing on the weekend.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:44 PM, acprc said:

So just to keep you all updated. The TGS restoration continues. The body is off getting painted in PS-59 Dark Mettalic Blue and I have been collecting some finishing parts. Managed to find one set of wheels

0347C74A-1723-43B4-BF04-2B6847BAE560.jpg

And the tyres

F81ABC12-9318-42FB-BAAF-BDBAB568AF77.jpg

That’s pretty much all the parts I need apart from another set of wheels. They were hard to find last time I needed a set but will keep looking. In the mean time I will be starting another build thread as I start to restore a TNX 5.2r Champagne Gold Edition this weekend.

I am sorry to be the one to break it to you, but those tires offer very poor traction. For a similar look but with a lot grip I would recomment Super slicks (tamiya partno. 53220) or M2 Slicks (tamiya 53224). The M2s are not as grippy but they offer a bit more life.Oh, and a heads up. You would have to get inserts for those. The tires do not come with them. My recommendation here would be Tamiya part No. 53156

18 hours ago, ejtnt said:

I am sorry to be the one to break it to you, but those tires offer very poor traction. For a similar look but with a lot grip I would recomment Super slicks (tamiya partno. 53220) or M2 Slicks (tamiya 53224). The M2s are not as grippy but they offer a bit more life.Oh, and a heads up. You would have to get inserts for those. The tires do not come with them. My recommendation here would be Tamiya part No. 53156

Thanks for breaking it too me gently. As long as they grip the shelf they will be fine.

• Haha 6

On 12/22/2018 at 1:04 PM, acprc said:

IMG-5755.jpg

Wher did you get this? I really looking for one. :o

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Where did you get this? I really looking for one. :o

It came from Japan but they do come up on Ebay in the USA now and then. If you get one go for one with a pressure release button. Much better

• Like 1

I've been a bit busy with work so it has been difficult to get any time on the TGS this week. Good new though, I managed to find another set of the wheels in Germany so they are on the way.

Just the body to do now and one small plastic part on the chassis.

• Like 1

Glad to see you’ve found another set of wheels, that’s brilliant!