I decided that it was time to finally create a spray booth so that I could keep painting through the winter. I’m about 90% done with my first attempt but I think it will make a good prototype. The structure is corrugated plastic panels that I bought at Home Depot. It’s held together with plastic L brackets that are glued to their respective panels. Masking tape holds the panels to eachother so that i can remove and dissemble the booth when not in use. For ventilation I’m using a 220 cfm bilge blower and dryer ducting that will vent outside. I picked a bilge blower since it’s rated to operate in explosive environments. Finally, a battery powered led under cabinet light provides illumination . I’ll post final pics but I hope this helps give others ideas so that they can keep painting while it’s cold out. 

743CEED8-57D2-4C0D-9B61-F9067633921A.jpeg

Edited by delche
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

That looks great, I think I need an upgrade...

Here’s a picture of mine, I made it from preformed corrugated cardboard. Currently I’m holding my breath when I spray and then for extraction I open the window and leave the room for a while... As you can see it’s important to keep a tidy work area...

932BD50C-5D9A-459E-80B9-857468322500.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Can I ask where you got the plastic boards? Is it model making stock or something from a diy store? Also, have you heard any Horror stories of paint booth explosions? I didn’t think the solvent and overspray would be in high enough concentrations to ignite. I have a spare bathroom extractor I was thinking of using, now I’m having second thoughts.. I have a retired spray painter in the family so might ask him for any industry stories...

I purchased the plastic panels from Home Depot. They came in 4x8 sheets and I used two of them for the build. Honestly, I think a bathroom extractor will work just fine if you have it. Adding a cheap furnace filter in front of it will help keep the nasty bits from getting through. Thankfully my bilge fan only cost $30 on Amazon because I didn’t have anything else around the house. 

• Like 1

Ah, thanks. I see what it is now, correx, I’ve only seen black sheets locally though. I’m thinking if its taped along the right edges it will fold up flat.  This might just be my next DIY project.

I set one up in the kitchen under the extractor hob. Warm and decent ventilation as well.

I have a very easy going good lady....lol

• Like 1

I should think AC brushless motors should be fine. 

We all know how the brushes create sparks like crazy in a brushed motor.  Mix that with the volatile fume, "Huston, we've got an ignition."   Even if somebody uses a 540-powered brushed motor for the extractor, I think it would be an alarming puff in the duct at worst.  Far less than a fire breather's alcohol fire... A fire breather would spray 300ml of alcohol in 0.5 second.  Tamiya spray cans would spray the same amount in 5 minutes...  Just as Lee76 said... not concentrated enough.  (don't try any of these at home, kids) 

hMsuYWF.jpg

I meant to ask... @delche, that tiny 3cm fan isn't the 220cfm blower, is it?  

• Haha 1

I also meant to ask if your work space heated.  If you have heat and good ventilation, then the low humidity in winter is ideal for painting.  Translucent colors like window tint will cure very clearly, whereas they can get a little cloudy in the summer in high humidity.

@JuggularThe fan is 4 inches and is rated at 220. It looks super tiny but pushes a ton of air out the back

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D96LYSY?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

@speedy_w_beansThe space is thankfully heated and is my office/workshop

my rear ducting is metal and my friend suggested I should ground it due to static buildup. Anyone else think static/spark will be an issue?

• Like 1

Such a small fan doing 220 is impressive.  It says 12v.  Do you need a 12v power supply?  

I’m using a power supply from an old battery charger. It works for right now but I’m sure I’ll have to replace it eventually. 

• Like 1

I tend to use old PSU's from PC's as a 12v supply, relatively cheap can be made to run without a PC and are larger with better cooling :) also i have a ton of PC fans laying around...lol

Gonna grab these sheets tomorrow and build myself one, thanks for the info!

It’s been awhile since my first post but I’ve finally had time to try my booth. I’m starting an SRB build and the booth did really well as I applied primer to the scorcher shell. I was lazy and didn’t vent the exhaust through a window but plan to do so tomorrow when I do more painting. Even so I could tell that the boat bilge fan was doing a good job drawing fumes away from the body  

The funny thing is that I just moved to a larger home so this booth will probably end up being the prototype for a wooden booth. 

C5B30AC0-FFBC-4969-9AF1-7BCF26A3721E.jpeg

E0177F63-DDAF-426D-AFF8-E3F47A637838.jpeg

• Like 2

****. These booths look the muts nuts. Excellent idea.

Going to make myself a quick one. I dont 'intend' to do any more builds after the Bruiser.

However, Tamiya is worse than Crack, and I am enjoying the modelmaking aspect as I used to do lots of static models as a kid

On 12/3/2018 at 7:09 AM, Lee76 said:

That looks great, I think I need an upgrade...

Here’s a picture of mine, I made it from preformed corrugated cardboard. Currently I’m holding my breath when I spray and then for extraction I open the window and leave the room for a while... As you can see it’s important to keep a tidy work area...

932BD50C-5D9A-459E-80B9-857468322500.jpeg

Preformed corrugated carboard!! :D