Sign in to follow this  
barryf

Recommendations on Re-re

1 hour ago, barryf said:

Right now I'm leaning toward the Avante again.  For me it was the right around when I stopped buying cars.  I love the Black but it almost seems too new.

I still rather a 959 which makes me wonder, there are a couple on ebay that have been for sale forever for 2k.  I wonder if I actually offered a grand if one would bite.

I read your username as "Barf". 

Sorry, I LOL'ed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Theibault said:

For that kind of money, just buy the Avante and Avante BS or Egress.

Agree

4 hours ago, barryf said:

Right now I'm leaning toward the Avante again.  For me it was the right around when I stopped buying cars.  I love the Black but it almost seems too new.

I still rather a 959 which makes me wonder, there are a couple on ebay that have been for sale forever for 2k.  I wonder if I actually offered a grand if one would bite.

And if 959 is ever rereleased, you could be very sorry.  

As @Nicadraus said, I've heard that Egress is an improved version.  But, in this hobby, you'll always regret if you don't get what you want initially.  If Avante is what you want, get it.  Tamiya is a corporation.  Their job is to know what we want, and make a profit from it.  If they want money, they'll re-release 959, even if they have to re-make the whole thing like Kyosho is doing now. 

The way I see it, don't worry about what you can't get.  Get what you can, and be happy.  

• Thanks 1

Buy both.

And make it 2 of each - 1 to build & run, 1 to stay as kit to admire 

Dayum... and Alice thought her rabbithole was deep...! :rolleyes:

It's amazing how painful this is for me.  Part of what I want is a kit I built as a kid (Optima, Hotshot family, Fox) but then part of me wants a vintage I never got which is the Avante.  The problem with the Avante for me is since it was the tail end of me being in this it almost doesn't seem vintage if that makes sense.  I never saw one in person.  I should really get the Optima.  When I had it, I built it with a belt drive, robinson gears and gold shocks, drove it once and sold it.  No clue why.

What car is Kyosho making from scratch?

2 minutes ago, barryf said:

What car is Kyosho making from scratch?

There are people who were trying to use re-released parts to fix up vintage Kyosho cars.  They say that many parts are not compatible with the vintage.  Because Kyosho got rid of the parts molds, and they had to remake the whole thing.  So... roughly the same design, you would recognize them as the buggies you saw back in the 80s, but if you compare the individual parts, they may not be the same.  

Impressive they are making it from scratch.  I need to pull the trigger on one of these. 

The Kyosho re-re's are incredible. The Javelin I got blew my mind. I now run it whenever I'm bashing with a 13.5t and 2s lipo. About to put an 8.5t in here as well! Quality is second to none.

• Like 1

HI,

I need to make a decision.

Buy a Super Astute & Toyota Hilux Extra Cab or a Black Avante Special ( I do have 2 re-re Avantes though)

Whats peoples thoughts, if any?

I'm not a huge fan of the CC-01 platform.  I'd go with something non-Tamiya in that space so I would suggest the Super Astute between what you have mentioned.

Go Super Astute and Avante. Two very important buggies in Tamiya's off-road history.

Ordered an avante today. I. Sure this was covered elsewhere but I was wondering how does the motor in the kit compare to the original technigold?

• Like 1

Avante is a good choice. 

The motors are about the same.  Technigold was rated for 19,000 RPM (430gf/cm torque).  Avante and Bigwig re-releases include 25t GT-tuned, which is also rated for 19,000 RPM (500 gf/cm torque). 

Except, you can't change the timing on the GT-tuned.  I like tinkering with motors.  I tried to replace the bushings with bearings (1/8 x 3/8 x 5/32 -- 540 bearings are imperial).  But it's just not rebuildable.  You can't bend those tabs either.    

WKozjH2.jpg

[Technigold is rebuildable]

Qxqlx5i.jpg

• Like 1

I would get the Super Astute and Top Force and have a pair of Tamiya's best racing buggies of their time.

Then get a TRF211 and TRF503 to see how far they've come in 25 years

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I would get the Super Astute and Top Force and have a pair of Tamiya's best racing buggies of their time.

Then get a TRF211 and TRF503 to see how far they've come in 25 years

2WD: from Super Astute to  TRF211...   4WD:  from Top Force  to  TRF503...

hmm...  that's a neat idea...   

Though for myself, TRF503 is too expensive, I might go for a used DB01 someday. 

• Like 1

So the receiver can get data back from the ESC.  You can get telemetry, battery level, and other data depending on what your ESC supports and that can be sent via a 3rd channel (or you can put lights or other gadgets on that can be activated via the 3rd channel).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mahjik said:

So the receiver can get data back from the ESC.  You can get telemetry, battery level, and other data depending on what your ESC supports and that can be sent via a 3rd channel (or you can put lights or other gadgets on that can be activated via the 3rd channel).

Thanks I was going to get the quicrun so not sure it can do that. Planning to get the futaba 3pv. They make two models (different receivers). Any idea what the difference is? I want to order today as eBay has a 15% coupon.

Can't help with the Futaba differences.  I went with a Spektrum DX5R.  I felt it was something with enough features I could grow into if I stay in the hobby for a while but not something that would break the bank (Futaba, per feature set, was overpriced for my needs).

16 minutes ago, Mahjik said:

Can't help with the Futaba differences.  I went with a Spektrum DX5R.  I felt it was something with enough features I could grow into if I stay in the hobby for a while but not something that would break the bank (Futaba, per feature set, was overpriced for my needs).

I’ll look at the spektrum. I don’t need to break the bank on this.

45 minutes ago, Mahjik said:

Am I missing something, the DX5R seems to be double the price of the futaba.

45 minutes ago, Mahjik said:

That's why I said "per feature set".  The DX5R is not a comparative model to the 3PV.  You'd have to look at the non-race oriented TX's from Spektrum, like the DX5C which gives you 20 model memory compared to 10 of the 3PV.  

I didn't feel like I was going to get my money's worth with equal features per price with Futaba.  I grew up with Futaba as that was pretty much all there was back in the day.  They make good products but feature comparison, you can get equal features for far less.