Sign in to follow this  
barryf

Recommendations on Re-re

3 hours ago, barryf said:

Thanks I was going to get the quicrun so not sure it can do that. Planning to get the futaba 3pv. They make two models (different receivers). Any idea what the difference is? I want to order today as eBay has a 15% coupon.

There is no difference in the 3PV transmitter, its just the rx that it comes with.

The 304 is 4 channel and capable of telemetry, I think it may also be faster. Its T-FHSS. The 203 is S-FHSS and 3 channel, no telemetry and a bit slower.

I have both rx and don't notice any difference between them. I bought the version with the 304 rx only because the 203 version was out of stock.

The 4 channel rx is useful though as you can run a fan and transponder of the extra channels if racing, or lights if you are into scale looks.

The 3PV is quite small but I rate it. Its actually my sons. I don't get caught up in how many model memory as you want to run cars together so need multiple remotes anyway, no point in having 20 cars but only being able to run one at a time. EPA is the most important feature for me, it means i can hand any car over to anyone but adjust the speed for them.

If you have the budget look at the 4PV or Sanwa MTS, both are very popular at both my clubs. Spektrum is out of favour here, I think because the older models would glitch but there are no problems with Futaba or Sanwa.

• Like 1

Yeah I was planning to get a futaba just because it's what I'm used to.  I also saw there is one model down from the 3PV which is the 3PRKA. So it just depends if the 3PV is worth the extra cash.

2 hours ago, barryf said:

Yeah I was planning to get a futaba just because it's what I'm used to.  I also saw there is one model down from the 3PV which is the 3PRKA. So it just depends if the 3PV is worth the extra cash.

Any thoughts? The 3PRKA will cost me 70 shipped and the 3PV with the 4 channel will cost 100. 

5 hours ago, barryf said:

I have both and don't notice any difference in performance (ie response time, glitching etc) which makes sense as they can both use the same rx so presumably have very similar insides. Both work flawlessly for me.

The 3PRKA doesn't have any model memory so if you have more than 1 car then you would need to swap rx between the cars or bind the tx/rx each time and set the trims, which isn't really an option as its a lot of hassle. Its also very basic in that it just has dials for trim, epa  dual rate but has the basic functions that you need so you could use it for racing.

The 3PV has 10 model memory so can be bound to 10 different rx and remember settings for each. To swap cars you just choose a different model on the tx and you're away. It also has a screen so has a lot more options and finer adjustment - eg both have trim but the 3PRKA has a tiny little wheel you twist around so you can't make fine adjustment, vs the 3PV with a screen and it will go left or right up to 100 in steps of 1, so you have 100 tiny steps of adjustment so can get it very precise.

Both have their place. 3PRKA if you are buying a couple of cars that you will use together and have a tx for each. 3PV if you have a little fleet that you use by yourself or with others who have their own. We have 2 loaners here which run 3PRKA and T2HR, then my son has 3PV for his cars and I have Sanwa MT4S for mine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I’ll go for the 3PRKA.  I figure if I get a couple more cars I’ll want to be able to use them at the same time. This is a good start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barryf said:

Thanks for the advice. I’ll go for the 3PRKA.  I figure if I get a couple more cars I’ll want to be able to use them at the same time. This is a good start.

There are some really cheap options too. I have a Flysky GT2e which is their most basic model. It has trim and channel reverse and thats it, but it works. Not good for kids as it doesn't have EPA, but at about USD20 each you can fit out a fleet for next to nothing. I sort of regret it though, as its so basic, the 3PRKA has proven its worth at 3 times the price.

I have just ordered a Flysky fs-i6 for my yacht, so nothing against Flysky but it really is horses for courses. I would never run Flysky in my racecars but others do

• Like 1

I ordered the 3PRKA, a 3003 servo and the 1060 speed control.  Now I just need a battery and charger... and paint

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, barryf said:

So my controller came.  Wow the antenna is so short on the receiver.  Is that the norm now?

lol, that's what I said last year.  Welcome to the 2.4ghz world!  

And it doesn't need to be upright either if you are running the car within 2-300 feet.