Sign in to follow this  
Nobbi1977

Better to sell with painted shell or unpainted?

I have massively overspent today so my CC-01 Unimog needs to go.

I built the chassis ages ago and threw a lot of parts at it including the GPM link set and Tamiya metal dampers. There is a steering kit and droop extenders and other bits I have forgotten.

The shell is uncut and unstarted because I started the side pods and put a scalpel through my finger trying to score the thick plastic.

So my question to the hive knowledge is, is it worth more as it stands or if I paint the shell? Or do I sell the shell (Unimog ones seem to sell for a lot) and chassis separately?

All voices and opinions welcome 

As a buyer I’d Rather finish the body myself and probably pay more not to have it painted. No harm in pricing them separately, though if you’ve started work on the trimming I would expect it to be offered for less than the cheapest new one..

The shell and side pods are separate and I only started on the pods. 

I need space more than cash so I might finish it just because I can before it goes. 

The flip side is if I finish it I will not want to let it go...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How good are you at shells , decals and paint work?

If you can finish it with a good quality I think it would be worth more, at lot of people shy away from this, 

Really depends if you are going to sell it through the forums or ebay, if  ebay , finish it, forums, they will finish it themselves.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snappy1 said:

If you can finish it with a good quality I think it would be worth more, at lot of people shy away from this, 

Yes.

Most the times unpainted would be better, but if you can offer a properly finished shelf-queen scale car you can get some good $$ for your it. :)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

I have massively overspent today so my CC-01 Unimog needs to go.

More importantly, what did you buy?

I would pay more for a well cut shell that was unpainted, I hate cutting them but like painting them. That doesn't help does it,

• Thanks 1

One possibility depends on the shell in question (assuming good paint and trimming skills). A shell like the Subaru WRX Nurburgring is complex and specific. I would guess most people would paint the car boxart, so painting might be a benefit. The Unimog however could be painted a variety of colors as the vehicle is less "specific". For instance, I like orange Unimogs better than the CC01's box photo green color. Someone else might like mustard yellow. 

• Thanks 1

Unpainted unless you (a) stick to box art and (b) are either a first class finisher yourself or pay one of the really talented guys on here to do it for you 

Individual colour schemes are otherwise very personal - and very few people (yours truly included) can detail shells to an objectively factory standard 

• Thanks 1

I think I will get it out and photograph it and see where my heart takes me. 

I fell for the Unimog looks as soon as I saw one but the CC-01 left me a little cold.

Thanks for the input. I will reveal what has caused this issue when the box arrives and if I avoid divorce.