Sign in to follow this  
1Grizzo

Painting The Fox

Hi. I'm painting up a new Fox polycarbonate body. I will start with the darkest colour, black for the roll bars. When I paint the next colour which will be dark blue and then silver for the roof section, will painting partially over the existing colour be noticeable on the outside at all? Will I still have my sharp edge lines of the colour underneath?

If I paint the dark blue and then some silver over spray goes on a section of it, is there any issue there?

Just want to make sure I don't stuff this up.

If you spray twice, and let it dry on each color, you would have almost no issue, since all 3 are not bright translucent colors.  

Black won't be seen through. 

If you want to minimize the paint, you can do silver and then blue.  You can entirely cover the silver painted portion with blue.  The silver will get slightly darker, but not much if you sprayed silver twice (or even 3 times).  Even if it gets slightly darker, it will be evenly done.  

Or... you can do it the other way around.  Spray the blue twice.  When that dries, spray the entire underside silver.  You'll use more paint, but Blue part will be slightly brighter (evenly).  

The 3rd way is to try it without overlap.  Mask what you painted already.  There might be some overlap, but as I've said already, if you spray paint at least twice, what could be seen through would be minimum.  

Ok thanks for that. So it’s either a slightly brighter blue, or a slightly darker silver. Which way to go.

To minimise the effect I might even do 4 coats or more if there is paint left in the can. It’s only a small body. 

How long should I let each colour dry before overlapping with another colour?

R u using Tamiya ps cans?

they dry quick, 3-5mins between coats in summer heat is doable. 

Most colours are pretty opaque (you're not playing with the transcends or anodised aluminium shades) so you don't need to do thick coats. 

You'll find more challenge from the masking, getting edges clean & sharp and avoiding tape lifting between coats :)