ThunderDragonCy

Can a TL01 Long Arm setup be made using other more modern parts?

It was somewhat annoying that the TL01LA arms ended up being specific. Cobbling together the parts to make a proper LA setup is not cheap or easy. I paid $130AUD each (incl post) for the last LA conversions I bought. The fact that they come with the sway bar kit still makes it not that unreasonable.

But when you consider the whole kit used to be about $50usd at rcjaz back in the day... but hindsight isn’t helpful if you where not in the market then.

I wonder could the reversable arms be squeezed onto the TL01? I should look at that I’ve got all the parts. The pins are a issue because those arms where never ment to see a c clip pin. It could end up too wide though, and those reversable setups are not as good for rally application as the original TL01LA parts.

45 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

It was somewhat annoying that the TL01LA arms ended up being specific. Cobbling together the parts to make a proper LA setup is not cheap or easy. I paid $130AUD each (incl post) for the last LA conversions I bought. The fact that they come with the sway bar kit still makes it not that unreasonable.

But when you consider the whole kit used to be about $50usd at rcjaz back in the day... but hindsight isn’t helpful if you where not in the market then.

I wonder could the reversable arms be squeezed onto the TL01? I should look at that I’ve got all the parts. The pins are a issue because those arms where never ment to see a c clip pin. It could end up too wide though, and those reversable setups are not as good for rally application as the original TL01LA parts.

Reversible arms definitely don't fit. I checked. The boss for the inner pivot on the TL01 is 45mm. The inner spacing on modern touring car arms for the inner livot is about 34mm.

Nice thread revival. 

Do you still want to know if the later trf415/6/7/8/9 rear uprights fit? 

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Nice thread revival. 

Do you still want to know if the later trf415/6/7/8/9 rear uprights fit? 

Cheers. I'm pretty sure thry don't because the LA arms use 3mm shafts and the TRF uprights use 2.6.

43 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Cheers. I'm pretty sure thry don't because the LA arms use 3mm shafts and the TRF uprights use 2.6.

Drill the uprights out to 3mm👍

The later uprights are narrower than earlier jobbies which is handy because you can use spacers to help you with the wheelbase. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Reversible arms definitely don't fit. I checked. The boss for the inner pivot on the TL01 is 45mm. The inner spacing on modern touring car arms for the inner livot is about 34mm.

The boss could easily be narrowed. It may be too thick overall though. If your doing that it gives you lots of wheelbase options. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Aren't the new TRF420 uprights 3mm? Would they fit?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Aren't the new TRF420 uprights 3mm? Would they fit?

Yes they are. Good point! They don't have any toe in though. 

I've shortened a 3mm shaft and used with a tb03 upright drilled out to 3mm, fitted to a ta04ss rear suspension arm. 

Pretty pleased with it, no binding. a Capri body will fit now. 

Thanks to @Jonathon Gillham I'm waiting for the trf420 parts to be available 👍

15732194488887945320234863119502.jpg

• Like 2

If you're set on getting a TL01LA suspension set, just buy a complete car. I really struggled selling my brand new build TL01LA Mercedes CLK-DTM. I sold it this week finally after being up for sale for about a year on multiple channels. It went for 100 euro's, less than what a suspensionset would go for and you get a body, wheels, chassis bits etc.

I've seen multiple go this cheap. Look for the DC5 Honda Integra, the Mercedes CLK-DTM AMG 2002 and the TL01Ra Subaru Impreza. They come with the LA suspension on it.

If anyone would be interest I'm sure I can replicate the suspension so you can buy it 3D printed? All you'd have to source is the kingpins and bearings. I designed a long arm suspension for my TA01 already too :)

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Just found this thread, I accidentally bought some TL01 LA suspension parts that were listed as TG10R nitro parts. Pretty sure the hubs and rear uprights are the same but they are a different colour, they are grey and the nitro ones are supposed to be black. Arms and rear uprights are NIP I never bothered opening them, front hubs are loose. Was thinking about putting them up on eBay, not sure if there is a market for them.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:45 AM, No Slack said:

On 11/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yes, that fits perfectly

@ThunderDragonCy (or anyone else in the know) - How does the suspension kit linked above impact track and wheelbase on the TL-01?  Don't need exact info, but want to know are things more or less unchanged or are there significant changes in track and/or wheelbase?

8 hours ago, Bazyli said:

@ThunderDragonCy (or anyone else in the know) - How does the suspension kit linked above impact track and wheelbase on the TL-01?  Don't need exact info, but want to know are things more or less unchanged or are there significant changes in track and/or wheelbase?

The track and wheelbase will be completely unaffected by this kit. The arms are longer for better kinematics but the uprights are designed to account for this so you will won't get any increase in width or wheelbase

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

The track and wheelbase will be completely unaffected by this kit. The arms are longer for better kinematics but the uprights are designed to account for this so you will won't get any increase in width or wheelbase

This was always said about the TB01 wide arm kit but that has been proven not to be true by a few members.

Are you 100% sure that the track isn't widened?

4 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

This was always said about the TB01 wide arm kit but that has been proven not to be true by a few members.

Not 100% sure, but it shouldn't make a difference, or if it does only a couple of mm. 

• Like 1

The long arm kit didn't add any noticeable width on my tl01. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

10 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Not 100% sure, but it shouldn't make a difference, or if it does only a couple of mm. 

Thanks guys, going to purchase this set of components and see how it goes.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yes, that fits perfectly

Any idea what half-shafts I would need to order for this to work on TL-01?

16 minutes ago, Bazyli said:

Any idea what half-shafts I would need to order for this to work on TL-01?

If it's the same as the TL01 LA kit, 39mm should be OK 

1 hour ago, svenb said:

38mm seems to work better, my 39mm xv01 shafts didn’t fit inside the yeah racing wide arm kit on the FF02. Yeah racing spec 38mm for TL01/FF02/GF01. 

5 hours ago, svenb said:

4 hours ago, Juls1 said:

38mm seems to work better, my 39mm xv01 shafts didn’t fit inside the yeah racing wide arm kit on the FF02. Yeah racing spec 38mm for TL01/FF02/GF01. 

Thanks guys : )

Juls1, thanks for posting this pic!  i'm trying to add a long arm kit to a 239 wheelbase MF01X, for better handling and clearance and for use with a Corolla/206 shell.

would you happen to have these two dimensions, of the TL01LA lower arms?

On 12/12/2018 at 6:22 PM, Juls1 said:

B76CFDC2-86BC-4202-8D81-DDC2FC1DC502.thumb.jpeg.5994b8ac180d4aa25e6b631eee5f7388.jpeg

top rear Tl01la arm bottom tb evo 1/2 rear arm note the LA arm has more shock positions and is shorter. 

TA04 arms.jpg