a.w.k.

Comical and non comical releases

With the release of the comical Grasshopper i thought by myself, wouldn't it be great to have it the other way around, i.e. to get a "decomicalized" M38 or a Willys Wheeler, preferably with hard bodies ? In some way Tamiya did it already in the past, i think of the Lancia 037, the original orv version, that i like really much, they released a real scale version, came first with the ta03 then with the ta02 chassis. Other models that come in mind, e.g. the Pumpkin and the low ride Pumpkin. Wouldn't it be great to get the original Audi Quattro and a real scale version? Or the Ascona? What do you think? What other cars come into your mind?

• Like 2

I would love to see some scale agricultural equipment. A decomicalized Farm King and Tumbling Bull would be a good start, or a Fendt Trisix on a G6-01.

All in favour for that comical 037 - the one I tried did not work out so well:

2s0i9vc.jpg

16c7zft.jpg

2cp43ue.jpg

m7rp6f.jpg

And yet, I kind of want to try it again with a re-re-release shell? Maybe box-art was the way to go...

But I digress - I could see the comical-style releases becoming a product line in their own right, if the Comical Grasshopper succeeds in proving that demand exists!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Yeah, something amphibious would be great, i would prefer a scale attempt at a Schwimmwagen (type 166), Ford GPA or a DUKW. I have this Multiplex Amphi from around 1982 that is more on the comical side, it swims well, but drives not that good because there is no suspension whatsoever.

amphi1.thumb.jpg.e2e342697a7258106d2d7143236396c3.jpg

amphi2.thumb.jpg.9e7d5703dc7c8c32f4e3bef96df5999d.jpg

If anyone can develop an amphibious scale vehicle with working suspension and maybe allwheel drive, than Tamiya. They have the resources to do that and it would be a unique selling point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I would love to see some scale agricultural equipment. A decomicalized Farm King and Tumbling Bull would be a good start, or a Fendt Trisix on a G6-01.

Yes, my first thoughts when i saw the Tumbling Bull the first time was, why couldn't it look like a real Porsche Junior or Super tractor? It is very similar to those and with Porsche there shouldn't be any licensing issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Super

You can fit a Wild Willy2/M38 body on a MF-01X chassis reasonably successfully...

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130199&id=25648

If Tamiya did it, all they'd have to do is put the horizontal front shock from an M-01 chassis on there, and you could retain the whole of the original grille panel too I reckon...

Jx

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 11:28 PM, Yalson said:

Lunch Box.

I've been toying with this idea for a while now, Short wheelbase MF01X with a Lunch Box shell. rolling on TT-01E race truck wheels and tyres.

Swb MF chassis is 210mm, Lunchie is 207mm.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 6:26 AM, Grastens said:

All in favour for that comical 037 - the one I tried did not work out so well:

2s0i9vc.jpg

16c7zft.jpg

2cp43ue.jpg

m7rp6f.jpg

And yet, I kind of want to try it again with a re-re-release shell? Maybe box-art was the way to go...

But I digress - I could see the comical-style releases becoming a product line in their own right, if the Comical Grasshopper succeeds in proving that demand exists!

Hello Grastens, why do you think it worked out not that well ? I like it very much. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a.w.k. said:

Hello Grastens, why do you think it worked out not that well ? I like it very much. 

Same here. It looks to have come out very well indeed. 

13 hours ago, a.w.k. said:

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Same here. It looks to have come out very well indeed. 

At the time, I felt it was not very well-received, but more importantly the level of workmanship on my part did not make for a particularly-durable runner. For what it entailed (my first cut-and-shut job on a body), and my skill level at the time, though, I suppose it was successful.

Experience will help me build a better one the second time around - if I get the chance!

Back on topic: what says Tamiya with their SJ30 Jimny?

84328.jpg

They have a scale version of another-generation Jimny, but a "de-comicalized" SJ30 would still be nice.

• Thanks 1

Thats what i meant, some really scale versions of some of the tamiya icons (e.g. Wild Willy, Willies Wheeler), real scalers for trial contests or other purposes, e.g. amphibious vehicles , and the other way around, some comical versions of their scale vehicles like the tyrrell 6 wheeler or some of their rally cars ( Lancia 037 or Subaru Impreza to name a few). It's nice to have both, comical and non comical versions of the same car.