jonboy1

SWB Wild Willy Resto for barney66

17 hours ago, barneys66 said:

Now you come to mention it, it would look good in metalflake stars and stripes..

..with a shiny winch.

You know the old (and very wise) saying about "never poke the bear..."

the little known ending to that quote is "...especially if he is holding your Willys in one hand and an airbrush in the other"

:lol:;)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

You know the old (and very wise) saying about "never poke the bear..."

the little known ending to that quote is "...especially if he is holding your Willys in one hand and an airbrush in the other"

:lol:;)

I thought the old saying had Willys as singular? :P

That is a fabulous restoration, and no doubt a satisfying project. I have been enjoying reading up on each update :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Grastens said:

I thought the old saying had Willys as singular? :P

That is a fabulous restoration, and no doubt a satisfying project. I have been enjoying reading up on each update :)

Slip of the finger - so easily done and....ooops! Didn't mean to do that! :P

Thanks very much ;) - It's not finished yet so I don't want to tempt fate, but so far it has been really satisfying. There's been a couple of places where it felt like it was fighting me to get it looking good but I have to say, I think the fact it isn't mine made me push that little bit further to keep at it, whereas if it were mine I'd probably have said "good enough" and constantly be disappointed with it. I can feel a rebuild of mine pending after finishing this.....

I know I'm probably a little biased but I do think it's looking lovely :wub:

• Like 2

"Homeward bound,

I wish I was, homeward bound."

Well Willy, it won't be long now...:rolleyes:

There is so much wrong with what I've just written there - sorry.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that Barneys M38 is 99% there (see - I restrained myself in that instance)

All the soldering is finished, the wheels are on, tyre lettering painted, windscreen fitted, side markers painted, the few little tweaks done here and there and Willys helmet is done. (I'm holding off on attaching his head until I get the final sign off from Barney)

The two remaining jobs are attaching the wire antenna mast and replacing the spade connector on the resistor wire. Oh and find the switch cover I hid...

If it hadn't been for another horrible cold/flu bug I've had again it would be finished, but hopefully it will be very very soon.

One thing I did discover though was that I really ought to take more of my pics in daylight - who knew? ;)

IMG_0894IMG_0893IMG_0885IMG_0887IMG_0888IMG_0889IMG_0890IMG_0891

• Like 3

Great write-up!

Maaaan I want a Willy, too! Stop doing that to me alright!

• Haha 1

final update from me - Willy and his wheels are heading off to their new home tomorrow. I'm not showing the body and chassis assembled as that honour goes to Barney who has been very  quite a little patient while I've been juggling projects. I'm sure he'll post a few pics of it when he has it in his clammy hands (please wear cotton gloves if you do have clammy hands Barney) ;)

Really enjoyed doing this - just hopeful Barney loves it!

A quick reminder of our starting point for those who don't like to scroll back to the start of this thread:

IMG_0757IMG_0775IMG_0760IMG_0771IMG_0778

and now:

IMG_0920

IMG_0919IMG_0918IMG_0917IMG_0916IMG_0915

so now that's finished I can crack on with the other ones I've got in progress!! :huh: Apologies to my other very patient commissioners(?)

If any of you want to point a finger of blame I'm happy to pass on Barney's address :P

• Like 1

A thousand apologies, especially to @jonboy1, for the time taken to conclude this thread.

My WW is home and sat proudly in place in my small collection of childhood dream cars.  JJ has done an amazing job on this - part of me wishes I'd had the car delivered to me first, and not straight to him, so I could have seen how bad it was in the flesh.  Suffice to say I'm overjoyed at how it came out - we had lots of back and forth on paint finishes, decals, Willy, etc, etc, and it's turned out exactly as I wanted.  John has the patience of a Saint, and nothing is too much trouble - I have a feeling he'll have a hand in any future cars I decide to get.

If you want any work done on yours I can't recommend him highly enough.  Thanks JJ.

Forgive the rubbish pics (check this thread for the details), but here it is:

47374255692_7c637affde_b.jpg

47427066651_f2cc3bf3fe_b.jpg

32485242327_5ca15b7794_b.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Jonboy,

That is absolutely amazing, CONGRATULATIONS !

I’m new on here and have just done my first post in the general discussion section about my Wild Willy. I’ll be needing to do some restoration work on that and if it’s just a tenth of what you’ve achieved then I’ll be happy.

My question though is how do you manage such brilliant repairs on things like the grille and how did you manage to get the damage out of the bottom of the tub ? Do you sand components down and then re-polish and, if so, what do you use to do it ?

Once again, congratulations on such brilliant workmanship and attention to detail.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jml12 said:

Hi Jonboy,

That is absolutely amazing, CONGRATULATIONS !

I’m new on here and have just done my first post in the general discussion section about my Wild Willy. I’ll be needing to do some restoration work on that and if it’s just a tenth of what you’ve achieved then I’ll be happy.

My question though is how do you manage such brilliant repairs on things like the grille and how did you manage to get the damage out of the bottom of the tub ? Do you sand components down and then re-polish and, if so, what do you use to do it ?

Once again, congratulations on such brilliant workmanship and attention to detail.

Cheers

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that :) 

The grille was repaired using plasticard cut and shaped to replicate the original "ribs" which I then plastic welded in place using a soldering iron with a thin tip and a little extra rod of plastic to use as a kind of "filler." Once this was all cooled down and looking suitably horrible I sanded/filed it all back smooth and gave it a coat of Mr. Surfacer brush on filler.

The bottom of the tub was basically the same process, but instead of using filler on top I sanded it down starting with 800 wet and dry, then 1000, 1200 and finally Autosol Super Resin Polish. It took several goes to get it back looking shiny, but you'll get there in the end. 

Feel free to give me a shout if you need any further advice :) 

Nah, don’t believe you. I reckon you found some brand new parts ;);)........... Only kidding !

It’s amazing what you’ve managed to do - your repairs really do look like brand new !

I’d not come across either plasticard or Mr Surfacer before so that will be helpful, thanks - having said that, I’d only ever bashed my cars in the past and never got round to trying to repair them.

Well done again, cheers.