Saito2

To Astute or to Super Astute, that is the question

I swore I wouldn't be collecting anymore of these things but here we go again...:rolleyes:. I usually just go about my business buying used or re-releases for my collection. I hold no disgust (understandable for some) for re-releases as some collectors do so if it was re-released, I'd get it, if not, off to the used market I'd go. I was totally ready to let the Super Astute roll by as the first re-re I had interest in, but would not purchase (for various reasons I've mentioned in the past). I still want it or an Astute to go with my Egress, Madcap and King Cab (they all fit together in my mind). So for the first time, do I bypass the NIB re-re Super Astute for a cheaper Astute fixer-upper or just shut up, take the financial beating and buy the Super Astute re-re?

Who are you kidding? :P Buy the re-release, and make it quick!

Super Astutes have a lot of '90s nostalgia around them, from the Day-Glo box-art colours (if you so choose) to those cab-backward proportions and that wonderful TTC out back. Run it with a hot brushed motor for full effect ;)

And properly set up, I hear they can make for good vintage-class racers, too...

• Like 1

My 2 cents,

If you buy a 2nd hand Astute, with their fragility, lack of parts etc you would end up building an Astute fitted with re re super astute parts, and of course it will still have the fragile ball diff,

Buy the re re, paint it red with Astute decals and have the best of both worlds.

I have an Astute , that I don't dare drive, and 2 Super Astutes that are both in pieces waiting for parts, I jumped on the re re, I will fix the vintage cars and run the re re till the wheels fall off

• Like 3

Sigh, Super Astute rerelease duly ordered ;).  Bad influences, the lot 'o ya, lol. Yeah, after giving it thought, even if I got an ok Astute for $120, I'd need to put $55 into a new body and decals. Then paint and likely tires and that's assuming nothing else is broken and even then the plastics wouldn't be fresh. Thanks for the input.

• Like 4

I am waiting on the Astute to be re-re'd, it will before I am 50.......

Cant get my head round a super and making it look like an Astute, no car in my collection cost over £100.

• Like 1

I'm going to go with boxart. I fully dig the SA's ultra-90's look. I was just considering a vintage standard Astute over the new SA because they would be more affordable and available than a vintage SA. While a standard Astute would go a bit better with my Madcap, King Cab and Egress, the SA will look great next to a Top Force as it did in the old catalogs.

Well, I'd like to extend a hardy "thank you" (NOT!) to RCMart for accepting and confirming my Super Astute order, only to receive an email several days later to tell me they are out of stock! :angry: They claimed both on Ebay and their website to have 9 in stock when I placed the order. This is the second time they have pulled this stunt on me, the first being the Top Force Hicap dampers I missed out on. So, thanks again RCMart! You certainly lost my business and anyone else who ask for good hobby supplier. I bit the bullet and backordered it from Tower Hobbies. I've never done that with Tower but they've treated me right in the past with everything else. Fingers crossed.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Well, I'd like to extend a hardy "thank you" (NOT!) to RCMart for accepting and confirming my Super Astute order, only to receive an email several days later to tell me they are out of stock! :angry: They claimed both on Ebay and their website to have 9 in stock when I placed the order. 

I also ordered mine from RCMart (on ebay) 

I placed my order within minutes of them posting(I get alerts/refresh often)

Shipped the next day with tracking... I guess we will see how long it takes to arrive!

Ross 

I do honestly wish you luck and hope it comes through for you. I ordered Friday morning and received the message shortly thereafter the order was being shipped and to expect it on the 26th. This morning, I received an email stating it was out of stock. I also ordered through Ebay. They gave you a tracking number which sounds very promising though.

Hmm Myn just arrived from rcmart...? 

Express shipping think I ordered Wednesday 10pm ish. 

Had literally 100’s of orders from them never a issue. Sorry to hear you missed out im sure they will get more stock soon.

I'm guessing their inventory counter doesn't update very often or something along those lines. I didn't get a tracking number even though the email they sent within the hour said it would be shipping out. That should have been a tip off I guess. 3 days later, I get the out-of-stock email and a credit to my account. This was all done through Ebay. Last time, I ordered Hicap dampers from their site which said they had 3 left in stock. About 2 days later, I got an email saying they were out-of-stock even though the order initially went through. That time they tried to offer store credit but I asked for a refund and they complied. I suppose its just high demand items and bad luck on my part.

Yeah the high caps where in very short supply, Tamiya should have made 5 times as many I think really, as many people where buying for other cars other than top force. 

Im wondering if they built enough super astutes, maybe the first run just sold out quickly, presumably there will be another supply or two like they did with the top force. 

Rcmart is usually the first place to sell out followed by rcjaz because they are typically the cheapest, wouldn’t surprise me if Tamiya limited there supply because of that.