Sign in to follow this  
scollins

Kyosho Turbo Optima score- easy resto

Hi all---scored a nice used vintage Turbo Optima from eBay for a fantastic price (pics were poor in the listing which helped from it getting sold quickly),,,I plan to give it new life and run it. It came with a vintage Option House belt drive conversion,,one-way front diff and the anodized gold nerf guards and rear motor mount. I lucked out and got some really excellent condition rare Option House tires with it also...The last time I ran an old generation Optima chassis was a Kyosho Salute I got for a Christmas present back in 1988!

I have a NIB Kyosho re-release Optima that is kicking around the shop,,for now I will get this old chassis up to snuff and run this instead before deciding what to do with the re-release Optima. It cleaned up pretty well so far with a toothbrush and soapy water. I plan to run this outside,,,but not on these rare wheels and tires. I will likely use something completely different for running it. Oh,,if you are wondering I've got reproduction decals on order from MCI Racing and a re-pop body from Team Blue Groove already. Color ideas,,not certain yet! I am also geeked that I finally have my new R/C man cave figured out in the new house ( I moved 4 months ago). It is located off the finished basement and has lots more space than the prior workshop I had before.

(special thanks to TC member speedy_w_beans on how to get pics uploaded,,,for years I struggled with how to do this-which actually prevented me from posting on the TC forums) Now I know about Google Sites to store images. Thanks Paul! 

scollins

20181211_211949%5B1%5D.jpg

20181213_191430%5B1%5D.jpg 

20181213_191419%5B1%5D.jpg

20181214_015120%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some progress over the weekend............It runs beautifully...Tested it outside on a 45 degree Fahrenheit day this weekend with on-road tires sourced from a stock Tamiya Amorak,,(with Kyosho Wheels) it is really quick and smooth! 

SAM_4844.JPG

20181215_143727.jpg

20181215_190944%5B1%5D.jpg

20181216_021513.jpg

20181216_022358.jpg20181216_021541.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More progress, big win on Christmas day 2018 getting the repro body from TBG painted and decals done right with the fantastic repro decals from MCI Racing!SAM_4847.JPG 

SAM_4850.JPG

SAM_4854.JPG

SAM_4862.JPG

SAM_4864.JPG

SAM_4873.JPG

SAM_4879.JPG

SAM_4868.JPG

• Like 7

@ Superluminal- Hello, there- no these are actual Kyosho Option House hop up tires, that were used on the Optima Series back then, very rare tires!

Sorry---you mean the other tires,,,those are Subaru Brat tires (re-re tires) they are mounted on re-re Optima wheels,, they work perfect!

• Like 1

This looks great. I just bought a rere body to finish the restoration of my Turbo. I started it 15 years ago!!!