Saito2

So, what have you done today?

Wow...:wacko:...I'd like to do this to all my cd's...records....tapes..dvd's ect.....which i have well over 1000 tapes of at my mums still...:D...I'm sure that would take forever to digitize all them:lol:

• Like 1

Took the mtxl out for a hr's bash ...B)

20190324_142635 20190324_144755

All good until this happened:rolleyes:

Started on me fresh rims..:D..cleaned up the rear disc...

20190324_173917

.and the orginal mankey sprocket carrier best i could...touched in the gaps between the disc with a gold tyre paint pen...:D

20190324_175632 20190324_181120

And fitted new disc nuts..

20190324_181125

Mobile tyre dude is coming Wednesday afternoon 👍

• Like 2

not a happy bunny.....:angry:....2x of my new disc bolts snapped way before they were  tight...:o..so there going bak as in my mind there not  for purpose...:angry:.

32531485787_e455d0f290_c.jpg20190326_173120 by evssv, on Flickr

luckily I managed to get the threaded bits out.....

46558045665_f691d51e37_c.jpg20190326_174009 by evssv, on Flickr

..I used the original Honda ones.......they blend in well with the black disc face tbh.....:D.........I`m gonna send the rears bak aswell as tbh... I don't trust them either now...:angry:

33596795538_28b655d615_c.jpg20190326_175448 by evssv, on Flickr

40507189023_2c8528861f_c.jpg20190326_175502 by evssv, on Flickr

also I had a ....like when u get a blob of sumin on or in  ur tyre u can feel it .dud dud dud as the wheel turns.....this was last wk....but we chked tyre but found nothing obvious.. :-/ ..my puncture Friday night must been this I thk....and this was the source of my werid feeling I was getting from the front tyre... :o....lucky I didn't get a blow out whilst on the ring road Friday night....

40507192573_dd31e0bd1c_c.jpgIMG-20190326-WA0002 by evssv, on Flickr

and if 1 wasn't enuff.... ??? ....there was a smaller one like the above pic with visible metal showing aswell.... ???

IMG-20190327-WA0006 IMG-20190327-WA0005 IMG-20190327-WA0007 20190327_155510

Jus need the new  front mudguard i got here sprayed to match the rest.B)..and that seat recovered now....:rolleyes:..than it'll look even better for a 23 year old...112000+ mile bike:D

• Like 3

Jumped on an opportunity to buy an inspection-grade block of granite and a Mitutoyo digital height gauge today.  The price for both was $80 and seemed well worth it.  I already have a Chinese mechanical height gauge that only shows inches, so getting this digital gauge is a nice upgrade.  And, the 20x16x3 granite block will be much better than relying on the Formica counter top on the kitchen island.

I have a small collection of measurement tools and I'm always watching for useful stuff at good prices.  I have some 600 mm digital calipers that are great for measuring 1/10 body dimensions, and some digital torque gauges with 0.05 in-oz resolution, which are great for measuring fastener torques on delicate parts.  Some gauge blocks and radius gauges are in the collection, too.

I missed out on a granite block six or seven years ago and kind of regretted it, so it was nice to to make up for it today.

• Like 2

I, too, appreciate precision tools, but so far have only gotten as far as a proper torque wrench set!

That was purchased recently as I took advantage of some spring sales at some of the online bicycle shops. While I wait for that (and several other accessories, including proper wheel bags), I have gotten into the spirit of the season with some part-time work at the local brick-and-mortar bicycle shop. They are in the middle of reorganizing their stocks and moving out seasonal equipment, so I provided the grunt work while preparing a bike or two for the showroom floor :)

The snow is receding in quite a fashion now, so I have been able to get out there and get riding. I am taking it slow; today I rode just under 40 km in the city, and am still feeling the effects :P It is a bit frustrating that temperatures are just low enough to discourage RC painting, but in the meantime my other hobby is keeping me well-occupied! 

• Like 1

Looks even beter in the SunB)

20190329_172917 20190329_172929

So it sv time..:P.only gets  taxed from april to September  then it goes away for the winter..;)...jus swapped  the ti force stubbies for the Leo  vinces as there not so loud...but alot deeper as its mot time  tomorrow morning....dont wanna  upset the tester:rolleyes:...

20190329_202716

33618237728_c69c09eded_c.jpg20190329_202744 by evssv, on Flickr

Then it'll get tax 'd on 1st of April ready fir my ride out in the 13th:D

On 3/28/2019 at 12:19 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

Jumped on an opportunity to buy an inspection-grade block of granite

I remember buying one of these for a small company I worked at, was about 600mm square and 150mm deep, came on a small pallet and we had to carry that up three flights of stairs... nearly killed us.

• Haha 1

Took out my bike and cleaned it, did not see any running for over 6month as I had a leg injury.

it is a Scoot Aspect 50 I already own 7 years. hopped up with downhill sun ditch rims, the front hub is a DT Swiss rear a common shimano hub. Also Hayes MX2 mehanical brakes. Custom selected grips, seat, pedals.... rear sprocket from SRAM with more teeth... This bike is nothing special, I paid more for hop ups then the bike itself then. That is why I cant let go of it. :)

nvr3wy.jpg

• Like 4

Just back from our first weekend away this year in the caravan. GOOD family time and knackered. Its like a mini holiday every time out.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, Fabia130vRS said:

Took out my bike and cleaned it, did not see any running for over 6month as I had a leg injury.

it is a Scoot Aspect 50 I already own 7 years. hopped up with downhill sun ditch rims, the front hub is a DT Swiss rear a common shimano hub. Also Hayes MX2 mehanical brakes. Custom selected grips, seat, pedals.... rear sprocket from SRAM with more teeth... This bike is nothing special, I paid more for hop ups then the bike itself then. That is why I cant let go of it. :)

nvr3wy.jpg

A beautiful and well-spec'ed bike! It feels special from here - I hope you are able to get back on it soon :)

I know the feeling of paying more for hop-ups than the bike:

1zxv3ex.jpg

... But what matters is that I have fun, right? :ph34r:

However, I have been working quite hard lately on a different one. While I am out of town, I have access to the following road-going beauty:

bhelgn.jpg

The owner does not ride it very often these days, so an agreement was reached where I can ride it as much as I want during my stay - provided I keep it in top condition, of course.

The components are 10-speed as opposed to the 11-speed groupset on my, uh, "Schwinn," but the frame is of much higher quality! Since the time this photo was taken, I have lowered the angle of the handlebars and swapped in proper clipless pedals.

So, today, I put in a good, hard ride, and met my distance goal for the week a little early ^_^ To the relief of the owner, I then spent a good part of the rest of the day servicing it.

It took me a while, but I think cycling is a hobby I can stay interested in - maintaining all the components is something I find therapeutic. However, it is one more wallet-draining pastime!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grastens said:

It took me a while, but I think cycling is a hobby I can stay interested in - maintaining all the components is something I find therapeutic. However, it is one more wallet-draining pastime!

A short story from 25 years ago:

When I finished college and started working at my first "real" job, I was renting a room from a co-worker at a very good rate.  It turned out he was into cycling in a big way and had a few road bikes and one or two mountain bikes.  All I had at the time was a cheap Huffy mountain bike that I had repainted and serviced.  Well, we started cycling together and as we would make our 30-mile loop through the cornfields of Indiana it was only natural that one of us would challenge the other to a short sprint.  At first he would pull away from me quite easily as he was on a road bike and I was on a mountain bike.  But, as the months went by, I became better conditioned than him because I was always fighting the flex of the frame and the friction of the components as well as the knobby tires on the road.  It got to the point where I could match him during a sprint, and later when I purchased a new Specialized bike, I could pretty easily leave him behind.  So, the thought that has lingered with me all these years is that the old cheap Huffy, while not very elegant or efficient, actually was better for me because it made me work harder.  Don't get me wrong, I still love the quality of that old Specialized, but I have some respect for even a cheap bicycle and what can be accomplished with it.

• Like 3

Finished this little oscilloscope kit.  Total investment was $30 and about 4 hours of soldering.  I used to have access to $80,000 oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and other great test and measurement equipment from my employer, but for home hobby use this should work just fine.  My neighbor is constantly working on his older cars, and there are times when it's nice to have something like this to monitor crank/cam position sensors, ECU data buses, even spark plug wires (with a coil wrapped around the wire), etc. just to be sure the wiring on the harness is functional.  Anything timing related, really.  It would also be nice to see waveforms coming from a receiver and going to steering servos and ESCs, or verifying other channels for lights, winches, smoke, etc.

The specs are pretty meager with a usable input voltage up to 40V and a frequency up to about 100 kHz; published specs are higher but online reviews have shown its true limitations.  It'll be an ok complement to a regular handheld multimeter.

IMG_3945.JPG

• Like 4

Taught myself how to solder copper pipes.  

An elbow joint was leaking. It was all green from the oxidation or corrosion.  My wife put something under the elbow to catch water.  She'd drain it every other week. Not much.  But it might spring a bigger leak. Like the Dutch boy who plugged a hole with a finger, then an arm, and a leg, and a head, etc.  

I'll just put some heat on, and solder it like a motor!  

Apparently, that's not how it works.  It would not stick.  I just charred the heck out of it.  Then I tried to pull it apart.  It won't come off either.  (Later I discovered that the water heater was pushed into the direction of the wall, like 2 inches.  Which might be the reason why it sprung a drip.  

Gw3xgKi.jpg

I decided to cut it.  Thank goodness for the reciprocating saw attachment.  Black & Decker Matrix is awesome for small jobs like this.  

hwzIbf6.jpg

ZAytCFv.png

GsuHSkB.jpg

It took some effort, but "Honey I sweated the pipes!"  

3PVWMdQ.jpg

No more leaks!  

I let everything cool down, wiped off the water-soluble flux.  Even flushed the tank, which had some calcification.  

Then...

to my dismay... I discovered that the 57-year-old main valve was leaking... Instead of removing water every other week, now I have to do it every hour.  

drip drip drip drip drip... I can't win today...

When my wife was about to call a plumber, I tightened the packing nut. (I'm not kidding, that's the name of the nut)  No more dripping noise. All Quiet on the Western front.  My wife was so happy she allowed me to spend $300.  I don't want anything, but I'll keep the credit.  

ZE1Wf5Q.jpg

• Like 2

Oh man, as soon as I read you had a leak with the main shutoff that brought back bad memories of a 1970s house I owned in Pittsburgh years ago.  Like you I had to do some repair work on copper plumbing and shut off the main valve.  Upon turning on the water again I had a shutoff leak, and it took some tightening on the packing nut and some strategic valve positioning to get it to stop.  What a pain!

Other than the quick M4 build thread I did on Friday, I've been servicing all my outdoor equipment:  mower, weed wacker, leaf blower, generator, snow blower, pressure washer, and chain saw.  The mower was the worst; it's 14 years old and things are wearing out.  The return springs on the transmission and blade clutch needed replacement, also the blade clutch cable.  The handlebar height adjustment is broken, but I have that rigged with some drilled holes and bolts.  It was time for a new blade.  The tires have about 1/3 of the tread left, and the front ones are toed out some.  My wife wants me to get a new mower, but the engine still runs great.  I can't let it go until the engine or deck dies.  If I can make it last 20-25 years that would make me happy.

13 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Other than the quick M4 build thread I did on Friday, I've been servicing all my outdoor equipment:  mower, weed wacker, leaf blower, generator, snow blower, pressure washer, and chain saw.  The mower was the worst; it's 14 years old and things are wearing out.  The return springs on the transmission and blade clutch needed replacement, also the blade clutch cable.  The handlebar height adjustment is broken, but I have that rigged with some drilled holes and bolts.  It was time for a new blade.  The tires have about 1/3 of the tread left, and the front ones are toed out some.  My wife wants me to get a new mower, but the engine still runs great.  I can't let it go until the engine or deck dies.  If I can make it last 20-25 years that would make me happy.

You should see my lawnmower. Just an old rear-bagger push mower with your basic Briggs & Stratton 5 horse engine. I bought it from Craigslist for $20 ten years ago, and in that time I've replaced the spark plug once and sharpened the blade a few times, and that's it. Oh wait, I replaced a cracked fuel hose last year, too. It burns oil, so I just keep adding a little. One wheel is literally coming apart, and the height adjustment gets stuck on one side and needs "persuasion" to go back down, but it starts on one pull almost every time. At first I just didn't care because it was only $20, but now it's sort of a game to see how long it goes before something catastrophic happens...

• Like 1

About a week ago my son reported the Playstation 3 wasn't loading discs anymore; it would boot and run apps from the internal hard drive, but it seemed like the optical disc drive had died.  Researching this issue on the Internet I was surprised by the number of hardware versions and the number of supported regions Sony deployed over the years.  You have to fully disassemble the console, and even disassemble the optical drive, to know which laser assembly to buy with certainty.  Anyhow, I ordered a new laser/stepper/spindle assembly for about $17 off eBay; it arrived yesterday.  This evening I put it in the old drive's mechanical housing and reassembled the console.  It booted fine and loaded game discs again, so mission accomplished!  With Sony discontinuing production of the PS3 as of this March, I'm happy repairs are still possible with inexpensive new parts.  Here's the old one:

20190504_161454.jpg

• Like 1