Saito2

So, what have you done today?

More of a psychological victory than a physical victory today, I replaced a foundation vent that a squirrel had chewed nearly five years ago.  We had this crazy squirrel that was chewing through the vent, eating the BBQ grill cover, eating gutter guards, etc. until I trapped him and relocated him 10 miles away.  He was quite the bully and would chase the other squirrels away; once he was gone the others started coming into the yard and they've not created any problems.  The BBQ grill cover and gutter guards had been addressed some time ago, but I wasn't very motivated to work on the foundation vent because it involved chipping out some mortar and dealing with some features that are sandwiched between the foundation bricks and house framing.

Anyhow, here's what a crazy squirrel can do to a foundation vent as he tries to store acorns in the autumn.  Fortunately the metal screen stopped him; then I had a full-size aluminum plate covering the whole vent for the past five years.

Crazy_Squirrel_Vent.jpg

The job was straightforward enough and only took a few hours.  I have an air compressor and air chisel from 20 years ago that I used to install foundation vents in another house; it's hard to believe so much time has passed since then!  The chisel made quick work of the mortar, and much to my delight one of the top mounting ears was actually loose, so it was easy to pivot the vent back and forth and work the other ear out of the brick and wood framing.  Installing the new vent required minimally enlarging the tight slot for that one ear and then tapping the vent into position with a hammer.  Once it was in place it was just a matter of mixing some mortar and using some trowels to apply it and smooth it.  The top ears are captured in the bricks and framing; the lower lip of the vent is sandwiched between exterior and interior mortar, just like the others.

New vent; some of that residue on the vent is from spraying water on the mortar periodically while it cures.  I'm sure it'll wash off in the rain over time.

New_Foundation_Vent.jpg

It was definitely nice to get this off the honey-do list and off my mind.  There are some brick steps on our front porch that have some mortar missing from winter weather damage; re-pointing those bricks may be the next project so I can use up the mortar mix purchased for the foundation vent.

• Like 2

Busy week this week...  I can't remember what happened on Tuesday, but Wednesday was a combination of reviewing service manuals for our Silverado work truck, preparing a list of parts and fluids for maintenance, and then spending the evening chipping out damaged mortar from the front steps of our house.

The better part of Thursday was spent mixing and applying new mortar to the front steps; then in the afternoon my wife and I went around town collecting the parts and fluids needed.

Friday I touched up a few brick joints missed on Thursday and finished the parts and fluid shopping as the service manual called out some gear oil for the rear axle that isn't very common.  In the end I switched from 75W85 to 75W90 as several people posted on the Silverado forums making the switch and not seeing issues.

Saturday I spent the better part of the day teaching my son how to do maintenance on the truck; he uses it daily to get to his aviation maintenance classes at the local college and eventually I will sign the title over to him when he gets a job, but he needs to learn how to do these things as he may move away or I'll move away for another job.  Various air filters, engine oil and filter, rear diff oil and gasket, and transmission fluid/filter/gasket were all changed.  Fortunately, with the service manuals and several post-it notes serving as bookmarks, it's not that difficult to follow instructions and just use the book procedures verbatim.

Today we finished the maintenance work by bleeding brakes.  The pads and rotors are still good, and it isn't quite time to do coolant yet.  So, it was just a little more effort to finish off the truck.  It's in prime shape now for another few years.

I really need to take the TT02 out for some real speed runs; I have some new batteries and they have been cycled on the charger a few times this week.  There's no excuse left (other than the 94F heat!) to not try a few runs and see what the car can do.  RC has been low priority lately.

spacer.pngEarlier on this year I got an old medicine cabinet for less than 3 bucks at the fleamarket. You guys can say I kinda saw the potential in it, haha. Anyway, I brought it home and I started taking it apart. I framed the nice mirror with a nice wooden frame I found in the trash and painted with shiny white enamel. Looks fantastic now in our bathroom. And for the case I had the idea of using it with some glass (that I also found & cut to size) to showcase old Matchbox or Mego figures or maybe diecast cars. I have a collection of mid 80's monster trucks & dragsters tractor pullers (the 1985 Matchbox "Superchargers" line). A couple of good friends here in TC helped me finding them in the States throughout the years (thank you @beefmuffin, @speedy_w_beans, and @Crash Cramer!). Now the wife helped me find a set of thin wooden bars (the thing that architects use), and so I finally got the inside shelves in place. I now have to sand it and then repaint it all in fresh white. I am liking it a lot as dust is something I sure don't like over my stuff!

Also, the chrome corner covers for my guitar/bass custom pedalboard finally arrived from China. That's another ongoing project of mine. I now have to dismantle it, rework a little the wooden sides, and then spread some nice wood varnish over them. Oh, I'm smiling. :)

Here's some pictures:

Testing some Superchargers inside...

RSrrc73.jpg

Trying to get the shelves in the correct distance one from another. (the Gravedigger you see there is not vintage, but actually a very nice Burger King toy that I worked on a bit to make it look betterwink.gif)

MJ1knyI.jpg

8wRNY8z.jpg

My "magic carpet" is almost done. I'm excited, and I enjoyed building this pedalboard a lot :) 

2Q6rcrb.jpg

Y'all have a good Thursday! :)

• Like 5

I use a Boss DS-1 like that for alot of stuff. I have to get a Big Muff and Ibenez Tube Screamer like those though. Awesome pedal board!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I use a Boss DS-1 like that for alot of stuff. I have to get a Big Muff and Ibenez Tube Screamer like those though. Awesome pedal board!

Years ago I asked Fred Turner (from Bachman-Turner Overdrive) what pedals Blair Thornton was using. He mentioned the DS-1, so I went out and got a cheap used one. It's a classic pedals that works for a lot of different music!

I like the NYC Big Muff Fuzz a lot. Must be my favorite pedal. When combined with the Electric Mistress you can get near the David Gilmour tone. And with the Tony Iommi booster on you can get the Sabbath riff tonality really nice. I love it. I first had the Bass Big Muff, but I did not like it. To my ears the classic Big Muff tone works better with both, my guitar and bass playing.

The Tube Screamer is another classic. My Amp is a 1984 Ibanez and comes with a built in pull-on overdrive which is a Tube Screamer, too, as the amp was also built by Maxon Japan. If you have the chance get the classic Big Muff, and the Ibanez Tube Screamer grab 'em alright. Doesn't matter much what music or style you play, they're classics. Plus, you can find 'em much cheaper used on your end of the world ;)

Came across a vintage Bell helmet at the fleamarket last Sunday for two bucks. The thing got stickers and it was later painted black with a spray. The wife looked at me, frowned, and asked why would you want that? LOL. Once at home I'm finding out it is really silver, the color I always wanted to have one! I started taking the decals off of it and I am currently checking if the enamel can be taken off of it with the usual wet t-shirt method. The helmet has a scrape on top, but hey it's still a Bell :D I wasn't happy having to let go mine some years ago, so I believe this is a nice project :)

thDsfu4.jpg

Let's see what can I do with this one.

You all have a good Tuesday! :)

• Like 3

Trying to keep the mind busy here.

Today I got to finish a showcase I had on the backburner for a long time. It's very simple, but I do like it a lot and most important is the fact that after this experience I think I can go grab the glass and start building my own Tamiya cars showcase hopefully next January!

Here's some pictures:

What I started with:

nnZL9MW.jpg

Testing the glassdoor stuff:

Pjmb0OE.jpg

I rounded the edges. I thought that would make the thing look better. Still not convinced.

cVN84Oc.jpg

I hurt my finger by getting this wood bit in between my finger & nail. At first I almost did not notice it, but a few hours after my finger hurt badly! :(

TlLU0jc.jpg?1

Before the complete sanding prior to get it all painted white:

GailYP8.jpg

Results! :)

6xLZOqT.jpg

This case will allow my Matchbox Fighting Furies figures. For testing purposes I got the [early] Mego Spiderman from 1977 :D

ZI89KKK.jpg

IheTJdx.jpg

You all have a good Friday! :)

• Like 3

My father gave me his AKAI AA-1135 receiver from 1978 and I am over the moon with it. Not that I don't love my current Yamaha receiver (that I got over a decade ago) but the tone and looks of this vintage receiver are oooh, so nice! :wub:

XbDngiz.jpg

4ewcLq0.jpg

As it's usual with vintage stuff there is some work to do to it so it can perform just like back when radio stations were playing KISS and The Bee Gees non-stop :D

First of all the dial cord was loose. Once I opened it I could see the tunning wheel's little ring broken and now no way to re-attach the dial cord again! :( I will have to give that extra thought and see if I can come up with some solution so I can get the tuner section working properly.

ngfq4Zr.jpg

What can I do? I mean anything except finding a replacement wheel...

zYO2nzt.jpg

Also, two of the three dial lamps were broken. I'll have to check if I can still get these little bulbs so I can get the dial properly lighted:

d6eZmxW.jpg

Q7FFdQR.jpg

That's for now. Hopefully I can solve these little problems to enjoy this fantastic piece of vintage Hi-Fi thumb_up.png

• Like 6

Well, I fixed the plastic wheel of the Akai receiver and got almost everything in it working properly. With the soldering iron I heated a piece of wire with which I stuck through the plastic material the wheel is made of. Worked like a charm and I believe it's going to last longer than the original "ring". Anyway, now I need to locate the two missing lamps so I can get the dial properly lighted. Here's how the system looks like as I write this. The Akai receiver sounds definitely better than my Yamaha but it's got one less input. So I can now get sound from my videorecorders (Beta & VHS) only through the TV set. There must be a way to make some external selector so I can get one or two extra inputs?

T2ErZdx.jpg

Also, I cut a piece of wood to fix and control the 220v to 110v voltage device my Toshiba Beta videorecorder works with. The switch cuts the incoming 220v so I don't waste energy when the Beta is not in use.

AFphdF1.jpg

You all have a good Tuesday! :)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

There must be a way to make some external selector so I can get one or two extra inputs?

I have used something similar to this in the past.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:
On 1/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, mongoose1983 said:

Also, two of the three dial lamps were broken. I'll have to check if I can still get these little bulbs so I can get the dial properly lighted:

d6eZmxW.jpg

On 1/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, mongoose1983 said:

That's for now. Hopefully I can solve these little problems to enjoy this fantastic piece of vintage Hi-Fi thumb_up.png

what a beaut she is 

i have brought bulbs from these before for the vu meters on my vintage cassette deck  i think these are the ones you need

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akai-AA-1115-AA-1125-AA-1135-AA-1150-AA-1175-AA-1200-Lampen-Lamps-Bulbs/113155707719?hash=item1a589b1347:g:~gwAAOSwonBaAv~v

• Like 1

Erich, really nice receiver you have there...  Remember the Heathkit I fixed a few years ago?  All these old beauties just need a little care to keep them going...

My wife and I woke up today and I suggested we do something more spontaneous than usual...  I said, "let's go for a car ride..." and we ended up visiting some locations we've passed for the past decade.

First up was the log cabin company visible from the highway.  Can't tell you how many times we've driven past it -- maybe a hundred or so in the past decade.  Sometimes we talk about selling our neighborhood house and finding some property in the mountains or the countryside just to have more space and quiet.  With the last child nearly launched, we're talking about changes to make the next decade or two more about us.  Anyhow, we learned a fair amount about the construction and maintenance on such a home.  It's just something to consider, but we're not committed to anything yet.

Then we stopped by a large fabric outlet store on the same highway.  They always have a huge banner hanging out front that says, "FREE FABRIC."  Free fabric is catnip to her, so we had to go in.  Most of the bolts of fabric were for home decorating or furniture, but she was excited to find certain pillow forms and certain edging.  It was just nice to see what they really have; she may go back with a friend or two of hers and do some shopping there later.

We stopped by a place called Furnitureland South purely on a whim.  I had seen a photo online of a giant four-floor dresser decorating the main entrance, so it seemed like an attraction unto itself.  That place was crazy; there were a thousand brands of furniture represented.  You could find any style of bedroom, dining room, living room, patio, etc. furniture.  We weren't shopping for anything, but it was nice to stroll the galleries and take note of some of the styles.  Definitely plenty of ornate / overdone / gaudy styles out there, but there were a few simpler and more functional pieces.  The place is so big they have three buildings and a skyway between two of them.  Can't say I'll ever buy anything there.

The final stop of the day was a clothing store; my wife has wanted me to go buy a few pairs of pants recently and I kept dodging the issue.  Finally, she took advantage of our random day and my trust, and she directed me where to drive.  Once I was close by I realized what was going on, but it was too late.  So, we did buy two pairs of pants...  Otherwise it was a nice day of just driving around and checking out some places we've always said, "we should stop there someday..."

• Like 2

Cleaned up the inside of my car which was really dirty, as probably many family cars.

This evening I've built a new Lego kit.

IMG_20200215_214559_compress95.thumb.jpg.2964329079058180086597cd57ad1e17.jpg

Edited by Aerobert
Compressed picture
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Aerobert said:

Cleaned up the inside of my car which was really dirty, as probably many family cars.

This evening I've built a new Lego kit.

Same kit my son recently built!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

Erich, really nice receiver you have there...  Remember the Heathkit I fixed a few years ago?  All these old beauties just need a little care to keep them going...

My wife and I woke up today and I suggested we do something more spontaneous than usual...  I said, "let's go for a car ride..." and we ended up visiting some locations we've passed for the past decade.

First up was the log cabin company visible from the highway.  Can't tell you how many times we've driven past it -- maybe a hundred or so in the past decade.  Sometimes we talk about selling our neighborhood house and finding some property in the mountains or the countryside just to have more space and quiet.  With the last child nearly launched, we're talking about changes to make the next decade or two more about us.  Anyhow, we learned a fair amount about the construction and maintenance on such a home.  It's just something to consider, but we're not committed to anything yet.

Then we stopped by a large fabric outlet store on the same highway.  They always have a huge banner hanging out front that says, "FREE FABRIC."  Free fabric is catnip to her, so we had to go in.  Most of the bolts of fabric were for home decorating or furniture, but she was excited to find certain pillow forms and certain edging.  It was just nice to see what they really have; she may go back with a friend or two of hers and do some shopping there later.

We stopped by a place called Furnitureland South purely on a whim.  I had seen a photo online of a giant four-floor dresser decorating the main entrance, so it seemed like an attraction unto itself.  That place was crazy; there were a thousand brands of furniture represented.  You could find any style of bedroom, dining room, living room, patio, etc. furniture.  We weren't shopping for anything, but it was nice to stroll the galleries and take note of some of the styles.  Definitely plenty of ornate / overdone / gaudy styles out there, but there were a few simpler and more functional pieces.  The place is so big they have three buildings and a skyway between two of them.  Can't say I'll ever buy anything there.

The final stop of the day was a clothing store; my wife has wanted me to go buy a few pairs of pants recently and I kept dodging the issue.  Finally, she took advantage of our random day and my trust, and she directed me where to drive.  Once I was close by I realized what was going on, but it was too late.  So, we did buy two pairs of pants...  Otherwise it was a nice day of just driving around and checking out some places we've always said, "we should stop there someday..."

Just got back from a 10-day vacation Paul. The kids invited us to the South, and it all was very nice. If you ever come to this country you might want to check the Caburgua Lake, here's a couple of pictures of us there last week.

EdDEcVc.jpg

Yeah, I remembered your Heathkit receiver. Actually that's the very reason why I decided to show my receiver here. BTW I am now here listening to one of the greatest LPs from the 90's decade through it right as I write this (1990's Poco "Legacy").

I've got a set of lamps for the receiver but I got them wrong. For a buck I got three 12v lamps but the receiver needed 8v. I tested with an external power supply on 8volts and they got warm, so I am back to the starting point. On the HiFi forums I was advised to use leds, which of course is all new technology. Getting the receiver's dial lighted in a cool soul-less way doesn't amuse me at all :(

There's two or three issues that stand out as a problem to me: when turning off the receiver makes the speakers "pop" in a way that doesn't sound nice at all. Then there is a buzzing that is almost unbearable on the "phono" side of the selector when the DVD is turned on. That means, I can't listen to LPs while the DVD is working. I understand you'll think "who needs to get the DVD on when playing an LP" but nothing of this happened previously with the Yamaha receiver. The third issue would be the tuner's balance. I have no problems when using the CD, or turntable, or even the aux to make the DVD go with the receiver, but when I use the Tuner, the left channel isn't as powerful as the right one when delivering full stereo. When I change the mode to "mono" then both channels perform perfectly. And when I change the selector from "FM stereo" to "FM mono" doesn't made a difference. There's certainly something wrong with that, and I have no clue what would be. :mellow:

Now I would like to sell my other equipment, but I can not do so until I get the Akai working at its 100%. Any advice? I mean anything except "let it go, pal".

That doesn't sound bad for a car ride, Paul! In the end, wives all seem to want new pants for us :D Myself, I hate to have too much clothes. I only need what I can actually use. Women seem to collect clothes and shoes, that is something I don't ever seem to understand, haha.

You all have a fantastic Wednesday! :)

22 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

I've got a set of lamps for the receiver but I got them wrong. For a buck I got three 12v lamps but the receiver needed 8v. I tested with an external power supply on 8volts and they got warm, so I am back to the starting point. On the HiFi forums I was advised to use leds, which of course is all new technology. Getting the receiver's dial lighted in a cool soul-less way doesn't amuse me at all :(

did you not get the bulbs from the link i gave you 

if you want to swop to led bulbs make sure you dont buy ones that are to tall i got mine from a chap in the usa that has them made up to order

this is what mine looks like with the leds in

IMG_20190924_135824.jpg

IMG_20190924_135935.jpg

• Like 1

decided to move from 1:10 cars to 1:1 cars. My first car was a ‘86 VW Golf MK2, today I gathered all codes and infos to start thinking on how and what next.

the idea is to put a mk4 1.8T engine into the mk2.

just so I can have more reasons to build a garage and something to work on everyday, afterwards some tuning could be done... basically a hobby car next to a daily car.

what I need would be a mk4 Golf GTI engine with the code AGU and same transmission 5spd  wirh rhe code O2J. Also Corrado G60 motor mounts are needed. If I got it right it should just bolt on. Feels a bit like Tamiya. :lol:

cant wait to start taking the car apart, did I mention it was my fathers car, I learned driving with it and got it as gift after getting my licence. 

pretty nostalgic moment today.

this is how it should look like, its this color already.

3BD32452-F481-4E3D-8668-10F744BF6C67.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, topforcein said:

did you not get the bulbs from the link i gave you 

No, I got mine at the fleamarket for a buck. I don't have the money right now to buy the set from Germany. Before spending that money I'd like to actually confirm that I can get it all working alright in the Akai receiver, otherwise I'll be hooking up the Yamaha again.

On 2/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, mongoose1983 said:

There's two or three issues that stand out as a problem to me: when turning off the receiver makes the speakers "pop" in a way that doesn't sound nice at all. Then there is a buzzing that is almost unbearable on the "phono" side of the selector when the DVD is turned on. That means, I can't listen to LPs while the DVD is working. I understand you'll think "who needs to get the DVD on when playing an LP" but nothing of this happened previously with the Yamaha receiver. The third issue would be the tuner's balance. I have no problems when using the CD, or turntable, or even the aux to make the DVD go with the receiver, but when I use the Tuner, the left channel isn't as powerful as the right one when delivering full stereo. When I change the mode to "mono" then both channels perform perfectly. And when I change the selector from "FM stereo" to "FM mono" doesn't made a difference. There's certainly something wrong with that, and I have no clue what would be. :mellow:

Hey Erich,

Here's a service manual for the Akai AA-1135; have you seen this before? (link)

There might be a few clues in it to help improve the tuner, DVD connection, and speaker pop.  I haven't browsed through it yet; when I get a moment maybe I'll get a few ideas...

• Like 1

Yesterday, after months of searching, my wife and I finally found the vintage camper trailer we've been looking for... it's a 1966 Aristocrat Land Commander. Mostly original, in beautiful shape, and well-maintained. Before this we had a little 1974 Venture fiberglass trailer, but it was way too small even for just the two of us (and two dogs). This will give us some room to spread out. Pulls beautifully with my wife's Infiniti QX4 (Nissan Pathfinder in a fancy suit).

Taking it on its maiden voyage in about a month, after I do some tinkering...

87153954_10219100837383735_621362002568151040_o.jpg

• Like 5

Today, I watched this:

Total legend, and probably why I got into mountainbiking.

At 30+

And have been for 20+ years.

I've been to Morzine/Les Gets many times, ridden those places. And Switzerland, Wales etc.

When all this is over, if I am OK, I can't wait to get back on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 1:24 PM, markbt73 said:

Yesterday, after months of searching, my wife and I finally found the vintage camper trailer we've been looking for... it's a 1966 Aristocrat Land Commander. Mostly original, in beautiful shape, and well-maintained. Before this we had a little 1974 Venture fiberglass trailer, but it was way too small even for just the two of us (and two dogs). This will give us some room to spread out. Pulls beautifully with my wife's Infiniti QX4 (Nissan Pathfinder in a fancy suit).

Taking it on its maiden voyage in about a month, after I do some tinkering...

87153954_10219100837383735_621362002568151040_o.jpg

Two thumbs up from my wife and me!

• Like 1

A month ago I had a small accident on anparking lot with a van. Heavy breaking in front of the van caused him to stop suddenly and I havent got to brake on time to avoid a collision.

Thank God it was slow traffic so I could manage to avoid hitting the van wirh my front tire and Moved to my left hitting his rear left wirh the front right fearing. 

considering a new in color fairing costs 160€ I decided to buy one of ebay in different color for only 60€, respraying will be done some other time. Also missing the chrome detail that cost by the way new 92€ so I will have to look for used one...  and polished away some superficial scratches from the accident 

0cEtYUQ.jpg

and something I wanted to do for a long time... a bit of tire lettering to give it a more sportier appearance. Dont miss out on the small red letter ‘S’ under the ‘Scarabeo’ emblem. :lol:

48Hbqbq.jpg

and I have these stickers coming from ebay.

AC4AA496-5421-4F18-B9A4-17D6DA893754.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today I built this, a 2020 S&M Steel Panther. A hand built USA made BMX frame

I've ridden BMX since the early 80's and have a collection of bikes from then to present day.

As nice as the old ones are they don't ride well when you're an adult carrying a few pounds, admittedly my days of big ballsy jumps are over but I wanted a nice bike that will probably see me out!spacer.png

spacer.png

On 5/1/2020 at 3:24 PM, Futura said:

Today I built this, a 2020 S&M Steel Panther. A hand built USA made BMX frame

I've ridden BMX since the early 80's and have a collection of bikes from then to present day.

As nice as the old ones are they don't ride well when you're an adult carrying a few pounds, admittedly my days of big ballsy jumps are over but I wanted a nice bike that will probably see me out!spacer.png

spacer.png

thats sweeet

so does mean you dont visit birmingham wheels anymore.

mind you the last time i went was in the 80's:lol: then we had a bmx course built about 5 mins from me on a park. the remnants of it is still there as it is right next to my wife's work. mind my days of rideing bikes are gone due to health issues witch really smegs me off