Saito2

So, what have you done today?

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

thats sweeet

so does mean you dont visit birmingham wheels anymore.

mind you the last time i went was in the 80's:lol: then we had a bmx course built about 5 mins from me on a park. the remnants of it is still there as it is right next to my wife's work. mind my days of rideing bikes are gone due to health issues witch really smegs me off 

I spent many happy hours at Wheels, it's all gone now, just like my local track Cocksmoors Woods. Where was the track by you, Wordsley?

• Like 1

Today I couldn't take it anymore and I had my wife shave my head.  I needed a haircut just as stay-at-home orders were issued, so I was already behind.  Now with another six weeks behind us, I couldn't take the wings, curls, fuzz, and god knows what.  We went outside and I trimmed up my beard as I usually do, but then we set the guard to the lowest setting and she went to work.  There was that moment of indecision before committing, but I figured worst case it would grow back.  Actually, it turned out better than I hoped.  It's not quite like Jason Statham

spacer.png

but it's definitely not terrible like Lobot either...

spacer.png

I may not need a barber anymore...  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Today I couldn't take it anymore and I had my wife shave my head.  I needed a haircut just as stay-at-home orders were issued, so I was already behind.  Now with another six weeks behind us, I couldn't take the wings, curls, fuzz, and god knows what.  We went outside and I trimmed up my beard as I usually do, but then we set the guard to the lowest setting and she went to work.  There was that moment of indecision before committing, but I figured worst case it would grow back.  Actually, it turned out better than I hoped.  It's not quite like Jason Statham

spacer.png

but it's definitely not terrible like Lobot either...

spacer.png

I may not need a barber anymore...  :lol:

I have been doing mine with balding shears for the best part of 20 years. Nature is helping me by making me need to cut less and less each time

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Futura said:

I spent many happy hours at Wheels, it's all gone now, just like my local track Cocksmoors Woods. Where was the track by you, Wordsley?

no it was one the local council built on a rerely used park in princess end 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5442154,-2.0571556,57m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-GB

as you can see just about the outline of what is left of it i think the last time i used that was with my leg in plaster mind going over the first table top cracked it so need a trip to repair it :lol: and if you would have been their watching me trying to get round it you would have been rolling on the floor :lol:

• Haha 1

hello... almost finished plan to make my little garden to a playground ... as no idea how long this situation is going to keep on.. and my daughter wanted the tree house from peppa pig.. i dont have any trees so i did the best i could and built this... and now hopefully i can go back and restore my lancia 037... even doe my back is  in pain and i had no ladde so 4 old alfa tyres and wheels and a kitchen chair on top did the work 😀... and i might do as speedy.. just shave my hair of.. as soon i can make  pony tail🤣🤣 i even tried  some 60s style  with gel... but nope not for me

Screenshot_20200607-094141_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-094101_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, stefank said:

hello... almost finished plan to make my little garden to a playground ... as no idea how long this situation is going to keep on.. and my daughter wanted the tree house from peppa pig.. i dont have any trees so i did the best i could and built this... and now hopefully i can go back and restore my lancia 037... even doe my back is  in pain and i had no ladde so 4 old alfa tyres and wheels and a kitchen chair on top did the work 😀... and i might do as speedy.. just shave my hair of.. as soon i can make  pony tail🤣🤣 i even tried  some 60s style  with gel... but nope not for me

Screenshot_20200607-094101_Gallery.jpg

That is absolutely beautiful. We don't have kids, but if I had a daughter I know I'd be more than happy to build a house for her. You did such a fantastic job!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mongoose1983 said:

That is absolutely beautiful. We don't have kids, but if I had a daughter I know I'd be more than happy to build a house for her. You did such a fantastic job!

thank you,  im really tired of painting for a while at least now :)  like the say happy  daughter = happy wife =  Happy wife happy life :)

• Like 1

Did some drawing with my youngest (3), gave myself a go to replicate his Samba bus toy.

I am not good at drawing so lets say I am kinda impressed with myself.

signed the drawing with my kids name and told my wife it was him. (Silly me thinking she would believe it :rolleyes:)

XWT89Ze.jpg
TuLqqqL.jpg

• Like 4

Drove my MG for the first time since the Great Rewire Job. Just a couple mile shakedown run, but it ran just fine, and it felt great to be behind the wheel of it again. It's been almost a year...

• Like 3

The weather was fine, the roads were clear, and most importantly, I don't have a car:

LWWVAXI.jpg

At it again with my Shimano 105-equipped Schwinn Volare! With this being the tail-end of the road-riding season, or so I am told...

• Like 4

The moment of truth is fast approaching; I'm almost ready to pull the transmission out of my Mazda and replace the clutch.  It's been a slow process taking everything apart as it's all packaged so tightly in the engine bay.  It's pretty clear things were designed for easy manufacturing but not for service; I've had to make a few custom tools along the way.  Fortunately I've been working from home, so leaving the car up on jack stands for weeks hasn't been a problem.

20200919_185038.thumb.jpg.69c4fe477ce6f3ad88799de2435c7f77.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

It's been a slow process taking everything apart as it's all packaged so tightly in the engine bay.  It's pretty clear things were designed for easy manufacturing but not for service; I've had to make a few custom tools along the way.  Fortunately I've been working from home, so leaving the car up on jack stands for weeks hasn't been a problem.

Does that pic bring back memories! I've done some jobs like that over the years and boy oh boy, I don't miss it a bit! Imagine trying to do the whole job in a day and then having 4 or 5 more days worth of work like that before the week's up. You're right, they're all about packaging and ease of manufacture. Service is an afterthought. Looks like you're doing pretty good there though. 

8 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

It's been a slow process taking everything apart as it's all packaged so tightly in the engine bay

I helped a friend remove the gearbox from his old Vauxhall viva.. it was above blocks and unbolted apparently waiting to drop out.. but couldn’t be freed from the car.. so whilst I was upfront giving it a wiggle, said friend was doing the same inside the car to the gear stick end.. he then found one last bolt he’d not undone and promptly removed it without notice, at which point the whole thing dropped like boulder sandwiching one of my fingers between it and something on the engine.. after extracting myself I ran about 20 laps of the workshop shedding colourful language.. about a day later I needed to push a hot needle through my now black finger nail as it felt like it was going to burst.. This is why I leave all car maintenance to the professionals, well, this and my total lack of practical car knowledge and skills...

I have been staying occupied at home with Gran Turismo Sport. I then wondered what a Tamiya Striker would look like as an actual F1 car:

zl51J6J.png

Gran Turismo Sport has a generic 1980s-1990s-style open-wheel race car, as well as a decent livery editor. A Road Wizard tribute was obligatory:

QhiYpQn.png

And then I went racing in the Striker:

9nrYj8A.png

The game made me take #16 in the race, which is why it bears the #16 roundel in race photos while still wearing its #6.

And in my opinion, the result actually looks fine:

ivNeMuc.png

But then, I also think the regular Tamiya Striker looks all right, so what do I know? :P

TMfBgfX.png

It is not perfect - yet! For now, this is good enough for me:

8sg5ZkW.png

Did I mention that Gran Turismo Sport has a decent Photo Mode?

Nngu468.png

Gran Turismo Sport relies on good Internet connectivity. While this unfortunately limits the amount of offline gaming, it does create new possibilities - like the ability to use decals created by other users around the world. I am confident somebody from here made the "Tamiya Motorsport" logo that appears on the Road Wizard tribute, as well as the "Road Wizard" text. It is largely due to the efforts of Tamiya fans that I was this inspired to create something Tamiya-based in this video game. For the Striker, though, I settled for reworked graphics readily available offline, to resemble the original "Striker" logo.

Most of my car-related pastimes these days have been virtual, though I do believe a VQS will be arriving sometime...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Grastens said:

I have been staying occupied at home with Gran Turismo Sport. I then wondered what a Tamiya Striker would look like as an actual F1 car:

zl51J6J.png

Gran Turismo Sport has a generic 1980s-1990s-style open-wheel race car, as well as a decent livery editor. A Road Wizard tribute was obligatory:

QhiYpQn.png

And then I went racing in the Striker:

9nrYj8A.png

The game made me take #16 in the race, which is why it bears the #16 roundel in race photos while still wearing its #6.

And in my opinion, the result actually looks fine:

ivNeMuc.png

But then, I also think the regular Tamiya Striker looks all right, so what do I know? :P

TMfBgfX.png

It is not perfect - yet! For now, this is good enough for me:

8sg5ZkW.png

Did I mention that Gran Turismo Sport has a decent Photo Mode?

Nngu468.png

Gran Turismo Sport relies on good Internet connectivity. While this unfortunately limits the amount of offline gaming, it does create new possibilities - like the ability to use decals created by other users around the world. I am confident somebody from here made the "Tamiya Motorsport" logo that appears on the Road Wizard tribute, as well as the "Road Wizard" text. It is largely due to the efforts of Tamiya fans that I was this inspired to create something Tamiya-based in this video game. For the Striker, though, I settled for reworked graphics readily available offline, to resemble the original "Striker" logo.

Most of my car-related pastimes these days have been virtual, though I do believe a VQS will be arriving sometime...

PLEASE do more of these if you can. I'd love to see more R/C liveries on a classic or modern GP car. 

• Thanks 1

Not today, but last week we celebrated Thanksgiving in the USA, and I took a few days off work to have the full week.  My wife had made plans for us to travel up to Indiana to visit her father and help him with his outdoor power equipment.  One yard tractor, two lawn mowers, four weed eaters, one leaf blower, and one snow blower later we finally had all the filters/plugs/oil changed on this stuff.  We also replaced a tail light he damaged on his car, repaired a battery tender, and swept and cleaned his garage so he's in good shape for this winter.

He's 86 and has started to give up on maintenance/repairs, so when something breaks he just buys another.  Hence the four weed eaters and two lawn mowers.  Only after I had everything serviced and running again did he tell me how some of that equipment hadn't worked in over 5 years!  I set him up with new gas cans, new oil mix, new fuel stabilizer just to be sure he was putting good fuel in everything again.

Some of the more interesting/fun observations:

- He had a handheld Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner; it probably hadn't been used in 10-15 years.  We plugged it in and it ran for about 5 seconds, then the motor smoked pretty badly.  My wife guessed it was acting flaky before and that's why it ended up in the garage.  Thanks for the booby trap!  We tossed it.

- One of his weed eaters had something terribly wrong with it as well.  It was an electric cord model; it would respond to the trigger but made a terrible grinding noise and ran sporadically.  With so many other weed eaters to choose from, we opted to pitch this one.

- My son and I did our best to drain the old fuel out of his lawn mowers and put some fresh in.  We must have pulled on those rip cords dozens of times each.  Just as my son gave up, I pulled the cord next and the mower roared to life.  It was a funny moment of glory for me and a moment of defeat for him.  We laughed about it for awhile.

- When we were servicing his yard tractor I noticed the old oil filter didn't fit the flange correctly.  The gasket made contact and it wasn't leaking, but clearly the filter was oversized.  Someone didn't chase down the correct part.

- The snow blower was pretty interesting.  It was an old single-stage 2-stroke Sears Craftsman model with a Tecumseh HSK (Horizontal Snow King) engine in it.  It was pretty seriously gummed up with old 2-stroke gas/oil.  I think quite a bit of the gas evaporated, which left a heavy residue of oil in the fuel tank and carburetor.  The exhaust smoked heavily for a good 20 minutes before the new fuel cleaned the old residue out of it.  It's such a pain to start with the pull cord; fortunately it has a plug for an extension cord and an electric starter motor.

- What made all of this more fun was the fact he threw out all of the owner manuals so we had no reference for spark plug or air filter numbers, or recommended oil weights.  Fortunately I was able to find most of his equipment online and download PDFs of the manuals.

It was a lot of work, but it was a nice diversion from the regular job.  Plus, he's a nice guy so helping him is not a burden.  He deserves to be treated well.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

- My son and I did our best to drain the old fuel out of his lawn mowers and put some fresh in.  We must have pulled on those rip cords dozens of times each.  Just as my son gave up, I pulled the cord next and the mower roared to life.  It was a funny moment of glory for me and a moment of defeat for him.  We laughed about it for awhile.

I bought a new mower, 4 stroke, manual start with a Honda engine. Only used it twice before it started ‘playing up’ wouldn’t idle and was very stuttery. Some sort of fuel supply issue, now there’s not much complexity to these things so I was a little annoyed that I couldn’t solve the issue.. You know what the issue was?.. The filler cap was on too tight... Yes, that’s right.. Honda decided not to include any kind of breather into the fuel tank, instead it relies on you not quite tightening the cap up fully to get air in.. What kind of money saving clownery is this! I’m regularly criticised at home for over tightening taps my partner and kid can’t turn on.. and I’ve broken more than a few bottle caps by over-tightening them, my last cap break was a home Covid test kit where you have to send back the swab in a sealed test tube.. that darn cap fell to pieces when I made sure it was tight... so when I’m closing the lid of something I’ve just filled with a highly volatile liquid.. you’re darn right I do that cap up tightly... These Honda designers clearly don’t know how long some of us leave the mower filled between mows and don’t want our fuel evaporating. Why they wouldn’t just add a auto switched breather of some kind still baffles me.. or just an end stop limited cap.. Bonkers.. Rant over.. Good work on the in-laws repairs speedy! Fancy popping round to service my jet washer?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lee76 said:

Yes, that’s right.. Honda decided not to include any kind of breather into the fuel tank, instead it relies on you not quite tightening the cap up fully to get air in.. What kind of money saving clownery is this! I’m regularly criticised at home for over tightening taps my partner and kid can’t turn on.. and I’ve broken more than a few bottle caps by over-tightening them, my last cap break was a home Covid test kit where you have to send back the swab in a sealed test tube.. that darn cap fell to pieces when I made sure it was tight...

Yeah that wouldn't work for me either. I constantly overtighten things well. Striped cap threads on the shampoo bottle and tooth paste cap. Cracked caps on the mouth wash bottle etc. I have some pretty hefty callouses built up on my hands from overtighten caps and lids, lol. Of course I also wear out door knobs and locks because I grab them and twist each one three times every night before going to bed. If I get interrupted , I have to go back to the beginning and check them all again. Weird, I know.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ACCEL said:

Watched this............................

https://i.imgur.com/CHdCvrr.mp4

The skills of those guys is off the chart!

Used to love watching , Junior kick start, as a kid, not sure they'd be allowed these days?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

The skills of those guys is off the chart!

Used to love watching , Junior kick start, as a kid, not sure they'd be allowed these days?

dahm know that brings back a few memory's

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

dahm know that brings back a few memory's

Showing our age! 🙄😂

Some famous names..

• Like 2