Super Clodbuster Junkie

What are the differences between the Clodbuster, SuperClodbuster, and the Bullhead?

Hi,

I would like to know the differences between the Clodbuster, Super Clodbuster, and the Bullhead.

Here are the differences I already know:

-The body is different on all three trucks

-The colors of many parts on each truck are different

Are there any other differences?

The original Clod Buster had Chevy badges, red shocks/guards/links, black chassis and ladder bars, white wheels and most importantly no chassis bracing in the lower tub. This meant if you beat on an original Clod hard enough you'd crack or flat out break the chassis at the suspension ball studs. Later versions of the kit lost the Chevy badge due to licensing restrictions but it never got the chassis brace plates

The Bullhead came out around the time Kyosho was poking directly into the Clod's market with the USA-1. In addition to the rig body, yellow shocks/guards/links, red chassis and chrome ladder bars, chrome wheels, the Bullhead received the chassis brace plates to prevent breakage. 

The Super Clod Buster, as you know, had blue shocks/guards/links, black chassis and ladder bars but kept the Bullheads chrome wheels. It also has the chassis brace plates. Tamiya changed the grill completely and added a bigger supercharger and bugcatcher scoop in place of the original's smaller bugcatcher scoop.

Now the rereleased Bullhead and current Super Clod come with ESCs while the original Clod, Bull, and early Super Clods came with MSCs. The one perk the MSCs had was a series/parallel switch known as a power/economy switch that the ESC versions omit. In one position, you got full power (like the current ESCs provide) in the other, power was cut in half but run time was doubled. Its not a big deal today, but in the olden days of my youth when most battery packs were Nicad 1200mah, you'd burn through a battery in about 5 minutes with a Clod. Imagine, that without a "quick charger", some of us would wait all night for a battery charge just for 5 minutes of fun the next day! Times have changed.

• Thanks 3

@Super Clodbuster Junkie

You are right on most of your assumptions. What you may find helpful when comparing similar models is to download the manual for each and you can compare them side by side. Everything has a part number and you can generally cross reference those part numbers between each other. Also, when looking for spare parts or upgrades for example, an owner of an original clod can then buy the metal parts bag from the bullhead or Super and have the extra reinforcement. 

Lately the Tamiyausa.com site got "less good" to put it nicely. A lot of the manuals are no longer available. Under resources on this board most manuals are available and organized by stock number. E.g., original clod was 58065 and the super is 58518 (i had to look it up too..).

Hope that helps.

_Tony

I'm pretty sure that beyond what has already been mentioned the only difference between the Original Clod vs Bullhead + Super Clod is a chassis strengthening plate for the steering servo.

30years?

The clodbuster is the one I wanted as a kid, the superclodbuster is the one me and my 7 year old boy get to thrash around. :D

Its amazing how long-lived the basic Clod has been. There were competitors back in the day that time has mostly forgotten. There have been bigger trucks, faster trucks, stronger trucks etc. but to most people, the words Clod Buster still evoke feelings big and tough, even to those outside the hobby. Even the way the artist specifically choose the angle of perspective to represent the truck on the box is impressive. I do miss the girl on the box though :lol:.