trev82

Tamiya VW Rally (MF01-x) build options

Hey I need help,

I want to change out the friction shocks to some CVA dampers.  I don’t really want to fork out for the Aluminium damper set 54000.  

Do 50746 super mini damper set fit this kit?  Any other options?  

Appreciate it 

Trevor

• Like 1

Super Mini is probably the best option, it's what I used on my build.

Juls

• Like 2

Good to know myself, getting one for xmas and the friction dampers will be one of the first things I change.

Tempted to do a Build thread on it. Maybe! :)

• Like 2

I put 3 Racing shocks on mine.  They're affordable and way better than the friction shocks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 78Triumph said:

I put 3 Racing shocks on mine.  They're affordable and way better than the friction shocks.

Any specific model? 55mm?

• Like 1

If you intend to put longer shocks on, you won’t be able to use the rally position on the uprights as the dogbones just bind up, also the rear upper arm catches on the chassis too. 

The super mini is about as long as I could get on there without reverting to using the standard m chassis position on the front and rear hub. Once you do that the extra travel will be past chassis bottom out and may not be that useful. 

In terms of suspension fiddling/getting more travel the mf01x is quite limited even crazy grinding with the dremel doesn’t really gain much. Extensive mods are required for long off road suspension. 

This being said if you use it where there is “scale obsticals” so a relatively smooth dusty topped firm surface with no rocks/gravel over about 3-4mm then it works well and it’s lots of fun. But it’s not much good on gravel roads or tall grass. The whole thing is just too small. 

For those reading this with a jimny remember he’s going to have the VW beetle with M chassis rally tires. Not the 1.9” 1/10 wheels on the other mf01x models which drastically improves off-road capability. 

You may need to find some softer springs for your oil shocks, the stock friction springs are quite firm. 

If the object is to run off road i would choose the CVA dampers over 54000 because cva’s have dual oil seals the 54000 uses a single o ring to reduce friction, but they are prone to leaking more when used off road and the o ring is exposed to dirt and dust. I also prefer not to have a threaded body off road with these as the threads just fill up with dirt and the collar grinds the dirt into the body if you try adjust the preload. 

• Like 2

I just picked up the TT02 upgrade set for mine. (54753)  The springs are in the ballpark, though a bit light for my taste. Should be a pretty good match for a rally setup.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I just picked up the TT02 upgrade set for mine. (54753)  The springs are in the ballpark, though a bit light for my taste. Should be a pretty good match for a rally setup.   

Ah cool, I wondered if these would fit OK. I've got them on my TT-02 so may pick up another set for the Rally Beetle.

Mine works well with Super Mini CVAs built with the small internal spacers, the upper link moved forwards with a long ball connector so that it doesn't bind against the gear cover and the shock moved forward to clear it. 

2018-12-21_04-46-08

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dc-arena said:

Any specific model? 55mm?

these ones here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3Racing-Aluminum-Oil-Damper-Tamiya-M03-M05-M06-TT-01-EP-RC-Cars-M03M-13-LB-V2/381886890905?epid=1901646256&hash=item58ea3b8399:g:X6EAAOSwImRYU7F1:rk:2:pf:0

These might not give you the travel you're looking for if you want to use the car more off-road.  I'm building mine up as a RWD on-road car more or less.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Mine works well with Super Mini CVAs built with the small internal spacers, the upper link moved forwards with a long ball connector so that it doesn't bind against the gear cover and the shock moved forward to clear it. 

2018-12-21_04-46-08

Do the CVAs come with all the parts to do that? The longer ball connectors I mean. I actually, I guess they won’t come with those. Where did you get them?

2 minutes ago, dc-arena said:

Do the CVAs come with all the parts to do that? The longer ball connectors I mean. I actually, I guess they won’t come with those. Where did you get them?

They don't come with the CVA shocks, but you can get them from any number of places online. Part number 9805825 will get you a pack of 5, I usually get my parts from Tony's Tamiya Parts on Ebay. Here is a link to the connectors in question:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-9805825-19805825-5mm-Ball-Connector-Long-5-Pcs-Hot-Shot-Super-Shot/382679188678?hash=item59197504c6:g:lIQAAOSwopRYme4e

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

They don't come with the CVA shocks, but you can get them from any number of places online. Part number 9805825 will get you a pack of 5, I usually get my parts from Tony's Tamiya Parts on Ebay. Here is a link to the connectors in question:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-9805825-19805825-5mm-Ball-Connector-Long-5-Pcs-Hot-Shot-Super-Shot/382679188678?hash=item59197504c6:g:lIQAAOSwopRYme4e

Cheers. Does the suspension catch the chassis when it’s at full travel?

5 minutes ago, dc-arena said:

Cheers. Does the suspension catch the chassis when it’s at full travel?

Not with the long ball connectors set up as pictured, no. Without the shocks fitted, the dogbones pop out before the suspension runs out of travel.

In order to limit the suspension travel to the point that the dogbones don't pop out, you build the Super Mini CVAs with an internal spacer to stop them extending too far.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Not with the long ball connectors set up as pictured, no. Without the shocks fitted, the dogbones pop out before the suspension runs out of travel.

In order to limit the suspension travel to the point that the dogbones don't pop out, you build the Super Mini CVAs with an internal spacer to stop them extending too far.

Got it. Do the shocks come with the internal spacers? I think they’re the same as I got for my TT02, but I can’t remember if they came with spacers or not. 54753 was the item number.

12 minutes ago, dc-arena said:

Got it. Do the shocks come with the internal spacers? I think they’re the same as I got for my TT02, but I can’t remember if they came with spacers or not. 54753 was the item number.

They do, yes, on the same sprues as the pistons and spring retainers.

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

2018-12-21_04-46-08

I did the same thing but with the internal threaded ball end, a long screw and spacer. I also used the touring car ends the same as you but I still grinded a bit off the gearcase/chassis for more droop. I didn’t have any dogbone issues with full length super minis with the longer trf shaft as the tt02 kit comes with though? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Interesting. How did you keep them in?

I think I just put a o ring in one end, or both. Dunno, don’t fully remember, got bored with the jimny and turned it into a Porsche in the end.

i found you could get the same ground clearance without the RA uprights (use the other hole) and longer stroke shocks. 

Its a pity they didn’t make the chassis front motor or somehow reversible, it would have been a viable candidate for a crawler then, but as stock the weight balance is like a 2wd buggy. 

Thanks for the info on this guys. I look forward to building my Rally Beetle soon! It will be standard for a while (except ballraces of course!) then upgrades later. 

On 12/21/2018 at 11:10 PM, TurnipJF said:

They do, yes, on the same sprues as the pistons and spring retainers.

I’ve got the TT02 CVA kit to build them. 

Did you use the longer ball connector lower parts V2, or V1? V2 would certainly make the shock length longer overall, but I may not sure if they should be built that long? Also, the internal spacer to limit the length of the travel, is that part 3 on the V part tree? It looks like a little tube, do you just stick it on the piston?

2 hours ago, dc-arena said:

I’ve got the TT02 CVA kit to build them. 

Did you use the longer ball connector lower parts V2, or V1? V2 would certainly make the shock length longer overall, but I may not sure if they should be built that long? Also, the internal spacer to limit the length of the travel, is that part 3 on the V part tree? It looks like a little tube, do you just stick it on the piston?

I have the short lower eyelets fitted along with the shorter internal spacer - the one that looks like a thick plastic washer. You simply slide this onto the shock shaft before putting it into the cylinder. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I have the short lower eyelets fitted along with the shorter internal spacer - the one that looks like a thick plastic washer. You simply slide this onto the shock shaft before putting it into the cylinder. 

Cheers. I think I know what spacer you mean.  There is only one on each tree, right? Looks like about 1cm in length.

2 hours ago, dc-arena said:

Cheers. I think I know what spacer you mean.  There is only one on each tree, right? Looks like about 1cm in length.

Each tree contains two spacers, a short one and a long one. I don't have one to hand to measure, but the spacer I am talking of is a lot shorter than 1 centimetre.

50 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Each tree contains two spacers, a short one and a long one. I don't have one to hand to measure, but the spacer I am talking of is a lot shorter than 1 centimetre.

I think it must be this one in yellow, not red.

The little spacer. And that goes on the shaft inside where all the oil goes, right?

760-D759-A-0-ECE-46-EA-AA95-E790-ABBA35-

• Like 1