Sign in to follow this  
Kamikuza

What charger?

I live in Japan, so Amazon Japan is pretty much my hobby shop. eBay tends to take way too long for shipping...

I'll be charging NiCd, NiMH, and plan on getting LiPo 2s.

Primary options are SkyRC
B6 (I'm a bit paranoid about all the clones :o)
S60 (seems to be a bit more robust with the discharge too?)
E660 (I guess AC built-in is handy...?)
B6 Nano

I doubt I'll be charging from a car ever, and if I find myself doing that, I'll get a car AC doohickey...

Oh and oddly enough they're all about the same price. Shipping time seems to be the major difference :D

Ok looks like the S60 and the E660 are both plug in to AC, the other two need PSU and the Nano really wants basically a PC PSU of 380W or over.

Oh and the e660 does stuff I don't need.

Answering my own questions again LOL

• Thanks 1

Just a few things...  I went through this not that long ago and had done a lot of searches.  Basically, what I came back with was to spend a little more money up front on a charger rather than get a smaller cheaper one up front, only to purchase something better later once I out grew it.  The few specs most threads I found had recommendations on were:

• Two charging ports
  • At least 10amps
  • At least 50w per port

I ended up with a HTRC charger which works, but I somewhat regret.  It does a good job charging, but it's cheap and not too convenient.  If I had it all over to do again, I'd spend the extra money on something like a Reedy 1216-C2 charger.

I use a T150 charger that I got from Aliexpress, very happy with this charger.

Runs from AC power or external DC source, and can discharge and charge all battery types. 

Has a touchscreen, all voltages, currents and temperatures are displayed real time on screen, be sure to also order the external temperature sensor.

The cooling fan can be noisy though. Only downside I found on it.

If you want, the T240 has dual charge capability.

5 hours ago, Mahjik said:

Just a few things...  I went through this not that long ago and had done a lot of searches.  Basically, what I came back with was to spend a little more money up front on a charger rather than get a smaller cheaper one up front, only to purchase something better later once I out grew it.  The few specs most threads I found had recommendations on were:

• Two charging ports
  • At least 10amps
  • At least 50w per port

I ended up with a HTRC charger which works, but I somewhat regret.  It does a good job charging, but it's cheap and not too convenient.  If I had it all over to do again, I'd spend the extra money on something like a Reedy 1216-C2 charger.

Mmm. I can get four S60 for the price of the Reedy and shipping from the US.

You're not helping LOL

4 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Mmm. I can get four S60 for the price of the Reedy and shipping from the US.

You're not helping LOL

Pay now or pay later...  ;)

Went with the S60 cos I'm in a hurry and am off overseas for 6 weeks from February :D Pay later!

Naturally, I didn't notice that the S60 only includes a single charging cable, so now I'm battling through the crap on Amazon looking for the right ones for my other batteries ...

You'd think in Japan where freakin' TAMIYA and KYOSHO come from, they'd have decent hobby shops but NO-ooo :D

I'm guessing those 8-in-1 cables are a bad idea?

Tempted to replace them all with XT60 plugs...

If you are ok with a solder iron then it is the best idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

If you are ok with a solder iron then it is the best idea.

Good enough :)

Just discovered my multimeter has a broken :( pretty good for $10, bought 15 years ago :D

• Thanks 1

Ok, got the charger. Looks good, and using it is more intuitive than the manual program diagram suggests :D

No on/off switch bugs me ... what, I just pull the power cord out? :o

And the balance plug is 5-pin, but all the extension or board things I find on Amazon are 7-pin :( going to have to make my own. The balance lead on the battery is literally an inch long :o

Oh and to replace my multimeter with the same model is now $4 LOL

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2019 at 6:29 PM, Kamikuza said:

Ok, got the charger. Looks good, and using it is more intuitive than the manual program diagram suggests :D

No on/off switch bugs me ... what, I just pull the power cord out? :o

And the balance plug is 5-pin, but all the extension or board things I find on Amazon are 7-pin :( going to have to make my own. The balance lead on the battery is literally an inch long :o

Oh and to replace my multimeter with the same model is now $4 LOL

I just cut a balance plug down, hasn't failed yet and fits fine

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I just cut a balance plug down, hasn't failed yet and fits fine

Yeah I thought of that but thought I'd be able to find parts ... got a 400-piece box of 2 to 6 pin connectors for $10 :D

• Like 1

There are ways/guide to avoid getting a clone unit. I have the genuine B6 imax and works great on my 2s and 3s (for Heli) batts.

4 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

There are ways/guide to avoid getting a clone unit. I have the genuine B6 imax and works great on my 2s and 3s (for Heli) batts.

Too much hardwork to figure that out in a second language and source a power supply :D

The S60 didn't seen to have the clone/fake issue and AFAIR slightly better for much the same price...

Although given the additional bits I've had to order--maybe not!

Pretty impressed with how much battery and charging has improved over the years since I dabbled with the RC. Pretty much over the nitro now :D

8 hours ago, Kamikuza said:

Too much hardwork to figure that out in a second language and source a power supply :D

The S60 didn't seen to have the clone/fake issue and AFAIR slightly better for much the same price...

Although given the additional bits I've had to order--maybe not!

Pretty impressed with how much battery and charging has improved over the years since I dabbled with the RC. Pretty much over the nitro now :D

My B6 is the AC version so plug it directly to a 100v-240v wall but can also be used with a 12v 20amp power supply.