Ryborg001

Help wanted! New grasshopper and tnx 5.2.

Hey guys.  I've decided to pull out all my old rc car gear and get it going again.  It's been around ten years since I last touched any of it. Bear with me on this post,  as I'll put up some more focused threads in the relevant categories later.   I've got two tnx 5.2's, one tnx 3:0 and a robotronic mantis.  These are all in poor to fair condition with seized engines. I'm currently pulling both tnx 5.2 right now.  

I've got a couple of questions since its been so long since I was in to them last.  

First question is what happened to tamiyatrucks.com? Was an awesome site back in the day.  

Second question is I'm have a lot of difficulties in sourcing parts for the tnx 5.2. Stock parts are kinda alright to find but not all, anything hop up or aftemarket can't be found.  Anyone got any help?  

Bought my son a grasshopper for Christmas.  What sort of aftermarket parts are there for this?  

Sorry for sounding so amatuer, I used to know so much,  but I've lost it all now.   Give me a few days and I'll set up threads in proper location plus I'll put pics up.  

Thanks in advance.  

• Thanks 1

I can help with questions on the TNX. The standard TNX 5.2 didn't have many options as it was actually very good out of the box. Tamiya won a lot of races with the standard TNX with only a few modifications including Jimmy Jacobson and David Jun winning the Nitro Max challenge. The 5.2r took a lot of the improvements the factory drivers made and brought them to market.

Most parts are available but clutch shoes are very hard to find, they rarely come up for sale.

14 hours ago, Ryborg001 said:

Bought my son a grasshopper for Christmas.  What sort of aftermarket parts are there for this?  

TNX is a sturdy beast.  

For the Grasshopper, bearings and a 540 motor would do the job nicely. (Unlike TNX, it doesn't come with bearings) 

$3 can get you ten 5x11x4mm bearings, and another ten 5x8x2.5mm bearings (you only need one "580" bearing, but they only sell $1 worth of bearings, which is 10 pieces).  Bearings really do make the car go 20% faster and the battery lasts 10% longer.  These are not the best quality, but they are rubber sealed to resist dirt.  I have Tamiya bearings piled up, because I prefer to use these.  (Tamiya metal shields will be degreased and used for internal gears later)  Just make sure to test these with your fingers to see which rolls good and which is too tight.  

540 motor will add another 10% to the speed (Yes, I was surprised to learn that 380 vs 540 was only 10% top speed.  However, due to greater torque, 10m dash was 20% faster).  Anyway, if your son is an experienced driver, you could possibly add a Sport-Tuned motor for another 20% on top of that.  But that could be detrimental to the health of the car (possibly to the driver's ankle also -- so if he's young, I wouldn't recommend the Sport Tuned yet).  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-685-5x11x4mm-Open-Miniature-Bearings-ball-Mini-Hand-Bearing-Spinner/162470235664?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-MR85zz-5x8x2-5mm-Open-Miniature-Bearings-ball-Mini-Hand-Bearing-Spinner/162470094633?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks so much.  I did take the library of buying a cheap set of bearings (just a set,  no spares)  which cost me about 12 bucks Aussie.  I also got a harder plastic upright set which are black.  This is his first proper car,  bit he's used mine on and off over the years.  I'll keep it stock for a while,  before upping the motor.  I did want to get the sport tuned straight off the bat, but I guess the standard 540 is only 15 or 20 I think. 

I love the tnx 5.2. So agro.  One is stock.  The other has bevels,  some metal parts (just housings and skid plates)  and a bunch of other stuff.  Really want to get them going but it'll take a while to fund those engines.  

@acprc

That's super cool,  I didn't know that.

Ugh and the worst part is how quickly the clutch wears out. (I hope that's not just me).

TBH,  and I really want to keep my stock one as og as possible, but if things like that are that hard to source,  I may just use a better clutch like an adjustable multiple shoe style.  

6 minutes ago, Ryborg001 said:

Thanks so much.  I did take the library of buying a cheap set of bearings (just a set,  no spares)  which cost me about 12 bucks Aussie.  I also got a harder plastic upright set which are black.  This is his first proper car,  bit he's used mine on and off over the years.  I'll keep it stock for a while,  before upping the motor.  I did want to get the sport tuned straight off the bat, but I guess the standard 540 is only 15 or 20 I think. 

I love the tnx 5.2. So agro.  One is stock.  The other has bevels,  some metal parts (just housings and skid plates)  and a bunch of other stuff.  Really want to get them going but it'll take a while to fund those engines.  

I've got the much older Terra Crusher.  It's a shame that it came with the extra-heavy 2.4kg tires.  They ruined the performance.  I have an Epic .18 engine with a lot more torque.  But with lighter HPI tires, it flies already.  So this one sits idle for now.  

HPdpaJw.jpg

Tamiya radio (or receiver on Terra Crusher) died for some reason. I'll install a $5.40 receiver and bind it to my Flysky radio.  

Talking about the radio, if your son's radio has EPA (End Point Adjustment), you can get the Sport Tuned.  It's only $17 USD.  Just limit it to 80% EPA, and it will work like a stock 540 (but with more torque).  When his driving improves, you can dial it up to 100%.  

I have heard that the Savage clutch is a direct swap but haven't tried it yet. I would be surprised if your engines are seized anymore than just old fuel sticking them. Boiling water from a kettle usually helps or in the oven for a bit. As ever though a strip down will help them. Take a look at my TGS restoration thread in the build section as I have just done a restoration on a nitro motor.