Sign in to follow this  
Ryborg001

What to buy?

I'm looking at getting a new car to tie me over while I'm rebuilding my tnx 5.2s. 

Some that have gotten my interest are:

Lunxhbox

Dark impact

Zahhak

Blitzer beetle

Racing fighter

Avante black edition

I just bought my son a grasshopper re release for Chrissie so that should be fun. 

The three I favour the most out of the list are dark impact,  zahhak and racing fighter.  

Does anyone here prefer any over others in this list? Do any of them suck?  

If I were to purchase an avante,  would it be just worth getting the trf buggy instead? 

I bought the Lunchbox as my latest. I thought about getting a Zahhak, but the LB was really cheaper and so many moding optinion as DIY.

but On the other side a Zahhak is probably my next car...

Look I've loved lunchbox for nearly 30 years or so.  I'm sure I will get one one day. 

I just really don't know what to get TBH.  I love the racing fighter and it's cheap plus I can run something  similar to my sons grasshopper.  

But I love the zahhak as well.  

But then I think about dark impact and I'm like do iiiittttt.... 

I have a DF02, the dark impact is a DF03?

I find the racing fighter very attractive, it is in cheap, even cheaper is Nobbis “frog” dt03 in the sale section. Give it a look. It is ARTR.

but the Zahhak is a expansive one and it can be upgraded to TRFspec.

It is a hard choice, but I would look in for the LB, Zahhak or DT03 or blitzer beetle hah

in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah it's df03. I don't really know where any of the cars stand against one another (2wd Vs 2wd, 4wd Vs 4wd ect)  like I don't know how dark impact compares to say super hot shot or avante for example.  

A big selling point for me is expandability/upgrades/hop ups/ mods.  I do prefer cars with good aftermarket support too. 

Hahaha I can never make a choice.  N

And now I just looked up super hot shot and it seems very good and sort of in price range I want to spend.  

Funnily enough,  that's prolly as good an answer as any given that the speed/steering/balance between any car is probably quite small (like for as like as possible here) 

Sooo,  they made the battery in line with body and actually make real shocks now 😂😂

That, plus the Hotshot was the earliest popular massmarket 4WD buggy out there in the 80s... it's like an International Scout or early Toyota Landcruiser.

Dark Impact is many generations improved, like a Porsche Cayenne!

I have a DT03 and a Zahhak, and the Zahhak is so much nicer than the DT03. The DT03 is ok but took a lot of tuning and hop ups to get it handling nicely. The Zahhak is just lovely straight out of the box. Get some appropriate tyres for the surface you run on, get some different weight shock oils for tuning (I would recommend 500cst for front shocks to go with kit supplied 400cst for rear), but broadly it's just a lovely thing. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ryborg001 said:

If I were to purchase an avante,  would it be just worth getting the trf buggy instead? 

Or get an Egress...

• Like 1

Is the main point of your purchase to enjoy the build, enjoy the running or enjoy the historical significance?

I have DF02, Hotshot, Zahhak, Lunchbox and Terra Crusher (the predecessor of TNX).  

DF02 is a simple chassis. But it's much newer than Hotshot, so it drives better in my opinion.  DF03 is even better.  l plan on getting a DF03.  It's comparable to the Zahhak (except DF03 is 4WD).  

But (as the common wisdom says) you are going to get them all anyway...  It's just a matter of which one you will get first.  You can start with the Lunchbox.  No matter how good Avante, or DF03 is, Lunchbox is always fun.  

Thanks for the replies so far guys.  Appreciate it.  Keep them coming! 

@Nicadraus the egress is basically 2013 avante yeah?  It looks dope.  

@TurnipJF all of the above but vehicle history would be last.  I mean,  I love vehicle history,  but I don't need to own one to enjoy that if that makes sense.  I'm a mechanic by trade(another lifetime ago) so all that stuff I really get off on. There's some really decent on and off road tracks near me.

Unfortunately my tnx's are now "history" haha. 

@Juggularhaha most likely I will get them all.  But going off the answers i have so far,  it's now a toss up between zahhak and dark impact.  I want Vanessa's lunchbox real bad too,  but given I've got two nitro trucks,  that one will have to go down the ladder.  

From what I hear, Egress is an upgraded version of the Avante.  

While mechanically simpler, I like how 2WD drives. That's why I jumped on the Zahhak.  

If the car does everything you are asking it to do, it's rather boring.  2WD cars will fight you.   

• Like 2

If you have a track nearby which you can run on, even if you don't race, really get the Zahhak. It just FLOATS around a track compared to anything else I own. I have been to to track days this year, my first experience of a track. No racing, just driving, but the Zahhak shows its race heritage (being the slightly less high version of the original TRF201) compared to anything else I own (DT03, thunder Dragon amongst others). It jumps better than any of them, more stable, easier to drive, but still challenging. I obviously went down the hop ups rabbit hole - because hop ups! - but realistically the only things I have done to make it great are 60 grams of weights stuck on the servo, surface appropriate tyres (my track is AstroTurf so the kit tyres are useless) and a little bit of shock tuning. And if you do want to upgrade things most of the TRF201 parts are still available. If you don't like the body (I didn't) then the 201 body is still around (although pricey for what it is) and the really nice looking Sand Viper DT02 body also fits, plus a couple of Team Azarashi bodies (Quracca and Canyk). 

This is mine with the Azarashi Quracca body fitted, Schumacher mini spike rear and cut stagger front tyres for astro. 

20180714_145308

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ryborg001 said:

Thanks for the replies so far guys.  Appreciate it.  Keep them coming! 

@Nicadraus the egress is basically 2013 avante yeah?  It looks dope.  

Nope. Egress also came out in the early 90s. It's a refined and tuned version of the Avante. Definitely a lot better.

• Like 1

The zahak is the most refined of the bunch, certainly offers the newest technology in chassis handling and design of the lot your looking at.

The DT03 is a simple but tough easy going buggy, nothing like as refined as the zahak not even close but what it lacks in refinement it gains in reliability and simplicity.

The Dt03 with a set of proline paddle tires and a half reasonable sensorless brushless combo makes a heck of a good sand rail for beach duties. 

Comparitively the dark impact (df03) makes a viable 4wd entrant equivalent if not slightly more refined to a DT03 in terms of chassis dynamics and level of design. It’ll be slower and less interesting to drive using the same motor as the DT03 or zahak, you’ll need more power to make the df03 fun, but it’s 4wd and it’s dynamics will easily take extra power at a cost of run time. The df03 isn’t however a equivalent to zahak, the 4wd equivalent to zahak would be db01 (baldre/Durga) or db02 (Leonis). 

The zahak is DN01 = TRF201

Durga/baldre is DB01 = TRF501

Leonis is DB02 = TRF502 

however both the DB01 and DB02 are not directly upgradeable to their TRF counterparts where the zahak DN01 is basically identical to its TRF counterpart and can be upgraded to that specification.

finally the lunchbox fits into the classic Tamiya silly but so darn cool group where handling and dynamics are at the other end of the scale and ultimately are popular for there unique appearance and unique (if not hopeless) handling characteristics. The lunchbox is all about that nostalgic experience where the kid inside doesn’t care about technology and handling and just wants to laugh at the silliness. 

Cheers

Juls

• Haha 1