Jason1145

58661 - BuggyRa Fat Fox TT01E Truck build

It's only a simple TT01E chassis and yet I was still not entirely prepared with a bearing kit, so I atleast got it out the box and took some photo's and went off to order some more bits before I start it properly.

I did find some Yeah Racing universals for it and some 53619 Oil Shocks previously made up waiting for a new project.

(Ignore the blue motor mount in the photo it doesn't belong there)

qFVF6tU.jpg

iWJ1FI3.jpg

apviMpe.jpg

There is an 8 page manual for the Bodyset and it would require 5 cans of paint if done Box art.... not sure I will follow this... it will be the most complicated bodyset so far for me.

xRvRDi4.jpg

X2zx8Yl.jpg

A nice exploded view of the TT01E

Jn5sba6.jpg

All laid out

VfzwsVP.jpg

New tyres - 70mm diameter

v5Wgt6I.jpg

JTL9NMs.jpg

These two bits will be replaced

pnJPHDd.jpg

D2Mou0q.png

Front and rear wheels with tyres not glued yet

3WwD9Mo.jpg

XQpZHke.jpg

jiFfNrt.jpg

TJFO4jr.jpg

dg5Zbtx.jpg

That's all for now, more to follow time permitting

• Like 5

I'm making a concerted effort to progress this build and not dwell, I dug out some spare rubber sealed 1150 bearings I knew I had hidden and marched on to the first page.

Looks easy enough, and it was

WiQqn0D.jpg

Step 2 was easier

Step 3 made me choose a motor and pinion.

8JGhPlD.jpg

A Superstock BZ motor with Hardened 20t pinion, one tooth up on the stock alumnium 19t pinion supplied with the kit.

This should scoot along a bit quicker than stock with a silver can - which I'm sure would be ta touch pedestrian?

An Mtroniks 20t ESC will speak to it even underwater.

Jj3s4yX.jpg

The plastic motor mount will do for now, I can always upgrade to a metal one later if desired.

SdYct9m.jpg

I follow that red line.....

3O3rJv6.jpg

Like that!

0sJyNGy.jpg

Next to install the motor and the top cover

tIFSfbh.jpg

SulDcTF.jpg

Now at Step 5 it's time to make the rear diff, I made the front at the same time as they are identical.

vYpPws7.jpg

Steps 6 and 7 are installing the rear diff and the rear arms... here you can shoose to make it a shorter 251mm wheelbase of 257mm, I left it at 257mm as the bodies I have are all around this length.

FdisfiW.jpg

NOTE to self - come back and change these two brass thingies for 1280 bearings when they arrive

SDY6DkB.jpg

After a little faffing about the rear arms are in pace and secured with the 3 screws on the rear diff cover .

H1UEQ1E.jpg

At this point I found the upper rear arms wobbly due to that A5 part not being secured yet (this is done later in Step 25 when part D1 is secured - this is the top shaft cover that runs from the front diff and along the prop shaft and then secures on to the top of the rear diff.) It took me a little while to figure that out as I was wondering when the two holes circled in red would be secured... but it's ok as it's not gong to fall out as they are sandwiched in for now

hSEpGtd.jpg

I have reached Step 9 which attached the rear bumper and had to stop here... so far I'm another hour into the build and my little one woke up to stop play :)

vCW4rz5.jpg

• Like 7

I’ve been thinking I’d like one of these trucks in the collection, however the body shells look somewhat nightmarish to decal.

i don’t really like the stickering bit <_<

• Like 1

In a way I'm glad the bodyshell is the last thing to do....... otherwise I'd never have started this build!

Next is step 10 - attaching rear axles - where I get to use my Yeah Racing universals in place of the massive plastic dog bones.

I also have to select the correct rear body posts (B5) as per the BuggyRa bodyset instructions 

R173oKq.jpg

IlUTWxo.jpg

4R06B74.jpg

And fitted

jVJGl8S.jpg

• Like 1

Step 11 is prepping the front arms

BPiFzc7.jpg

12 - Making the front diff

rgnA2wM.jpg

13 - Attaching the front fdiff onto the propellor shaft.... still ot received my 1280 bearings so using the brass ones for now

KI2wb5K.jpg

8d9M0st.jpg

PXQMSZn.jpg

lGNfOe7.jpg

Step 14 is attaching the front arms and diff case

exLa4pS.jpg

And fitted - once agan the A5 (top arm holder) is loose until the centre brace is fitted later

zhFImSD.jpg

• Like 1

Step 15 is attacing the front bumper.....

zqRASVf.jpg

Steps 16 and 17 deal with the front arms and uprights... another set of Yeah Racing Universals here

hK3vPzx.jpg

HT5Hlmv.jpg

cQKujeS.jpg

tLRjS4y.jpg

• Like 1

18 + 19 - making the shocks and attaching them front and rear  - replaced with 53619 Mini CVA oil shocks

jDtojfc.jpg

2ChHrDL.jpg

Need to replace these ball joints to use the included stepscrews

WRY3V04.jpg

Instructions say use the inner most top shock mount  - not sure what difference this will make as opposed to using the outer location?

bS614tt.jpg

And fitted 

lZnFs5q.jpg

Step 20 makes the first part of the steering arms

xqs6VwH.jpg

wmoV6Cq.jpg

Step 21 attaches the front bumper

7e41RAb.jpg

And here she is nearing completion.....

6F1R7RP.jpg

• Like 4

Nice to see you building 😉

If I were you I'd put the ball collars back in the dampers, their a lot better than the step screws if you any screws longer enough!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, svenb said:

Nice to see you building 😉

If I were you I'd put the ball collars back in the dampers, their a lot better than the step screws if you any screws longer enough!

That’s the only reason I swapped out the collars due to not having self tappping screws that were long enough - I only had machine screws ( the fine thread with a button head) that were long enough and I wasn’t sure  if they would be ok or not?

Lol I can build the basic stuff, as in, its just a general lack of time and not having a dedicated place to leave it all unpacked mid build.

Currently I spend (waste) 10 minutes at the start and end of an hours stint packing and unpacking it again which isn’t ideal... that’s why I’m daunted to start most build.

Unlike the TB03 however which looked like it was a complete challenge so I farmed it out to another member,  till it got the best of him too and I got it back half built, but the second half build of that was not too bad despite the stopping and starting.

25 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

That’s the only reason I swapped out the collars due to not having self tappping screws that were long enough - I only had machine screws ( the fine thread with a button head) that were long enough and I wasn’t sure  if they would be ok or not?

Lol I can build the basic stuff, as in, its just a general lack of time and not having a dedicated place to leave it all unpacked mid build.

Currently I spend (waste) 10 minutes at the start and end of an hours stint packing and unpacking it again which isn’t ideal... that’s why I’m daunted to start most build.

Unlike the TB03 however which looked like it was a complete challenge so I farmed it out to another member,  till it got the best of him too and I got it back half built, but the second half build of that was not too bad despite the stopping and starting.

If you want any screws let me know if have hundreds 😯

I find the build the best bit, more complicated the better.

I've recently built a tb03r👍

Bodies I don't enjoy 😯

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

If you want any screws let me know if have hundreds 😯

I find the build the best bit, more complicated the better.

I've recently built a tb03r👍

Bodies I don't enjoy 😯

I’ll bear the offer in mind cheers but i’ll leave it for now, I’m opposite I prefer bodies... but this has been a nice build and I think I’m about 5 hours in and it’s nearly finished now... chassis anyway.

I just finished the steering which is the part of a build I dread the most as I then have to dig around for all the Electrics ( no I don’t want a servo centre machine thanks) and find a charged battery! Then it’s the centering and sorting out the servo with its saver/posts/ mounts etc and making sure there’s no no no no binding etc lol... but it’s all come good after I found an error I’d made when I installed a steering bridge the wrong way round and it wouldn’t line up with some other parts it was supposed to... duh!

More pics to follow shortly.

I prefer doing the bodies... we should partner up and swap jobs!

Wheres the TB03r Build thread? I’d be interested to see it compared to my TB03, did you go with IFS too?

Step 22 - Steering arms

S8Rre9y.jpg

TPinID4.jpg

Little knobs!

mtCacEH.jpg

The next steps involved the steering so it meant getting the electrics out... I have seen this servo recommended on here so I bought 3 a few months ago and it's now time to test one out... analogue 4.5KG and waterproof with my preferred 25t spilne.

Sn4XLi3.jpg

BiQNkG3.jpg

XbO3O6N.jpg

My servo was bang on 8mm.... great! (Fitted as "more than 8mm" position)

6KeNhqb.jpg

xJPAlpr.jpg

And fitted and tested ok with no binding

QJC4gjM.jpg

Step 25 - fitting that central support over the prop shaft

jWMKr4q.jpg

j6H5YHi.jpg

i11lyKB.jpg

ZNdVEFs.jpg

Next step - i was dubious to fit this motor cover as it hid the nice looking motor, but I thought it will stop any fingers getting burnt so fitted it

Cw39YuN.jpg

f9flkKt.jpg

S7M6vrQ.jpg

AJSWJ6V.jpg

The next steps involve the putting the hex's and wheels and tyres on... I still need to go back and secure the ESC and receiver in place with double sided tape -  but then the chassis will be finished... in 4 days I think.. a record!

Now... where's that bodyshell got to?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't do a build thread mainly because I can't upload photos anymore 🤔. Emails not a problem!

I went IFS as the R kit comes with a funky aluminium rocker brace👍.

• Like 1

Here's the low down on the Buggyra bodyset..... I made a start on this today..... still to get the chassis runing lol

dk1qW9M.jpg

EccfJLs.jpg

SmIydWT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eESVG9g.jpg[/i

YP9ZNtX.jpg

ck1RilA.jpg

AG9hOdE.jpg

Still with me at the back?

I started at this step and it took me 45 minutes to cut these 5 pieces out of this one lexan slab... and even then I balls'd it up!

embMp8L.jpg

1hFcmdH.jpg

NOTE - there are no templates for the side mirror inserts... I'll have to measure them out later

G6daUa4.jpg

58Q802v.jpg

Aaaaaand the main cab cut out... quite proud of myself for getting those two little semi circles cut as they are required to fit onto the lower body properly..

NkNOnys.jpg

Here it is sitting on top like so

74bvWZ2.jpg

Here's my word of warning for you all.... it's obvious but I'm sure we've all misaken a cut line at some point and gone oops after lol

QeJAmNE.jpg

I did cut one of these off and no I realise the error it will cause as shown below.... it's the edging of the rear wheel arc... I'm going to have to bodge it back on but it's only got 3m of material to fix at a 90 degree angle to another flat piece!

o24B7tJ.jpg

That's all for now, back to work tomorrow so time will be limited again, i've enjoyed this whole holiday period off work and made lots of RC progress in between being the regular super dad/husband/son etc ;p

• Like 4

Do these tyres have foams in? They have a much taller side wall and dont look like they would fit normal touring car foams.

Look at those body instructions!!! Ffff! Then the decals! Shhh! That’s the stuff of nightmares 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Do these tyres have foams in? They have a much taller side wall and dont look like they would fit normal touring car foams.

No foams included but thee tyres are the best for seating on a rim I’ve come across and feel like they can run without gluing... but I will glue them before running it outside

1 hour ago, dc-arena said:

Look at those body instructions!!! Ffff! Then the decals! Shhh! That’s the stuff of nightmares 😂

Thank you! Thought it was just me 😆 

I’ll really have to sit down to work out if I want to change the paint scheme to make sure any new colours compliment the decals.

I held the 3 main pieces of the shell up against eachother tonight and now I can finally see how it’s supposed to come together, luckily my ham fisted use of the scissors hasn’t ruined it yet... famous last words.

• Like 1

I found out about the template for the wing mirrors, there’s a silver mirror decal you just use as the template duh... now I remember doing that a couple times before on other builds.. it was a bit of a hassle then doing it on just a ‘normal’ car bodyset too ... meh what’s another little job to join the queue :)

Got the chassis running indoors tonight and it’s super smooth, I initially forgot to mount my Yeah Racing illuminated ESC plate - so it’s now mounted on the servo under the receiver where it’s actually more on show so that was a good blunder.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 4:42 PM, Jason1145 said:

Step 22 - Steering arms

The next steps involved the steering so it meant getting the electrics out... I have seen this servo recommended on here so I bought 3 a few months ago and it's now time to test one out... analogue 4.5KG and waterproof with my preferred 25t spilne.

Sn4XLi3.jpg

Next time have a look at Turnigy D303 digital nylon servo, 4,5kg 0.10sec for 5$. In my opinion better then analogue.

cant wait to see how the body will be done.

• Like 1

Glad to hear the chassis is running smoothly.  I'm with Fabia130; I'm looking forward to seeing the shell finished.

• Like 2

@Jason1145 Are you still struggling with box-art?

Have you got any of that chrome you used on that McLaren left? I reckon chrome / black would look mean and not disturb the decals too much?

Or pink and black?

I know, I know - knock it off and go and build a TT02 ;-)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Next time have a look at Turnigy D303 digital nylon servo, 4,5kg 0.10sec for 5$. In my opinion better then analogue.

cant wait to see how the body will be done.

Will do Fabia130vRS thanks for that.

10 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

@Jason1145 Are you still struggling with box-art?

Have you got any of that chrome you used on that McLaren left? I reckon chrome / black would look mean and not disturb the decals too much?

Or pink and black?

I know, I know - knock it off and go and build a TT02 ;-)

That was an American Spazstix Mirror chrome that was hand carried back from the USA by a colleague.. and it’s all used up so that’s that ;)

I thought quickly of black and yellow and then immediately realised it’d be a bumble bee... 🐝 

I ruled out pink n black.

Yes isn’t there a TT02 you need to build somewhere! 🤣

• Sad 1