Jason1145

58661 - BuggyRa Fat Fox TT01E Truck build

One completed TT01E chassis! 

Highlights = Superstock BZ motor (23t), Mtroniks 20t waterproof ESC, 2.4ghz radio, 20t steel pinion and stock spur, Hobbykking 15296 waterproof servo

eivEjCT.jpg

Then I remembered I had a Yeah Racing esc plate so chucked that on too - on top of the servo to mix it up a bit

Before

DcQ68gr.jpg

After

2iGkOsU.jpg

l2waEea.jpg

1ucAEvr.jpg

8li0lCj.jpg

I even managed to fit the On/Off switch - this is a first for me as I normally tape them down somewhere else

POuBVZT.jpg

And the main event

Put this at the bottom

UTc4I6E.jpg

Add these two bits on top of it

hPjgACE.jpg

NcYBmvt.jpg

PcsmkPP.jpg

and voila

4dTBJ5J.jpg

Think I'll call it a day chaps..... and done!

zY05HJ9.jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, blakeatron said:

Strangely i love painting and detailing a body, so keep getting drawn to this truck! 

Yeah, me too ( secretly!)

14 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Will do Fabia130vRS thanks for that.

That was an American Spazstix Mirror chrome that was hand carried back from the USA by a colleague.. and it’s all used up so that’s that ;)

I thought quickly of black and yellow and then immediately realised it’d be a bumble bee... 🐝 

I ruled out pink n black.

Yes isn’t there a TT02 you need to build somewhere! 🤣

Shame about the chrome. Having had another look at the truck, I reckon yellow would be a good base with the blue and red decals.

How about some inspiration - 

http://www.pictame.com/media/1927545523558715245_6009671728#media-1

http://www.pictame.com/media/1926160350644589040_6009671728#media-1

I'm up to step 5...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Shame about the chrome. Having had another look at the truck, I reckon yellow would be a good base with the blue and red decals.

How about some inspiration - 

http://www.pictame.com/media/1927545523558715245_6009671728#media-1

http://www.pictame.com/media/1926160350644589040_6009671728#media-1

I'm up to step 5...

Yep like the yellow!

Slow down on the TT02, you got till Feb lol ;)

• Like 1

The front body post extensions are on, to get them to fit you need to trim off about 2-3mm of the stock front posts so that the extensioned posts lined up the securing pin holes - job done.

Next I cut out the main part of bodyshell and made the post holes and sat it on the chassis all mocked up with the top cab and it's back part.

I then spent a good 20 minutes thinking about the colour to do this shell by comparing the painting instructions with how the coloured decals would sit on it..... and honestly it's jsut gone a big a hazy puzzle in my head!

Sooo I'm going with my original gut feeling of yellow and black and will hope for the best... I just ordered a can of Yellow Tamiya PS-6 which looks close enough to the yellow of the grill surround.

Fauj6py.jpg

FDRMJjZ.jpg

MDLWv18.jpg

SpIlUoY.jpg

HKzjQXy.jpg

• Like 1

Looking real good, but in the first pic wheelbase looks slightly off. Is that just the angle of the camera 

Looks great, It does look like quite the puzzle. I am sure it is great fun though.

Do these 3 piece truck bodies have an intentional "cab floor" and an almost dash panel? 

35 minutes ago, SRB Bloke said:

Looking real good, but in the first pic wheelbase looks slightly off. Is that just the angle of the camera 

Yeah I see that too but it’s all square in the flesh... maybe it’s because the wheels sit inside the shell a bit so creates more angle from an angle... shut up Jason 🤐 🤣 

16 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

Looks great, It does look like quite the puzzle. I am sure it is great fun though.

Do these 3 piece truck bodies have an intentional "cab floor" and an almost dash panel? 

This has a cab floor inside, it’s my first truck so all new to me too.... I think on the MAN TT01 the front bodyposts poke through behind the cab section so you only need the stock short front posts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

I then spent a good 20 minutes thinking about the colour to do this shell by comparing the painting instructions with how the coloured decals would sit on it..... and honestly it's jsut gone a big a hazy puzzle in my head!

I'm in the same spot on my MAN TGS build, almost ready to succumb to box art at this point.  These trucks have one purpose in life only, and trying to customize them further moves them out of context -- neither the track nor the highway.  No scheme excites me at the moment.

• Like 1

Anything happening with this shell? I’m looking forward to seeing it painted and put together - same with speedy’s MAN 

• Like 1

Well the yellow paint arrived today so with the forecast set to be a balmy 11 degrees C this Saturday I hope to get it painted.... I still have to reattach a rear wheel arch edging which will be fun too ;)

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing it 👍🏻

ETA: 11 degrees?! The paint will be cured in jig time! 

• Haha 1

Looking at this bodyset a bit more I realise a problem may exist if I wanted to deviate away from box art colours.... this can be illustrated below.... see this part of the truck... I call it the side part between the wheel arches.... becuase it is.... well that "NUTREND" decal comes with all that white surround aswell

fa1PQfW.jpg

FByMRKV.jpg

Which means when it ends over the front wheel arch it would then match up with the WHITE painted bodyshell... which is a problem if you wanted to paint it a different colour as it would look odd going from white to your chosen colour

26CbKly.jpg

See.... the bodyset instructions say to paint this lower section of the shell in white.... to match up with those decals!

MWebBMr.jpg

One way around this problem would be to cut that decal a bit.... removing some of the white edging like below

ncNU326.jpg

So my new plan is to follow this idea...... a black lower section and yellow top cab

iOR1sDc.jpg

gL74Sa9.jpg

MByL5Iv.jpg

Fast forward to today and with the weather being chiily but dry, and me being impatient to wait 4 months till Spring, I undertook the painting.... warming the cans up in hot water and using a hair dryer in bewtween coats.... and only being outside for a maximum of 20 seconds each time!

bI6oYtn.jpg

Et voila!

2YPSmav.jpg

AcxgPPo.jpg

TnELKaJ.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Wouldnt be too big a deal to cut all the white out and have it as 3 decals.

Blooming awesome idea!

Good thing you replied so quickly as I was about to start decalling it tonight... I will do as you suggest.... thanks buddy ;p

• Like 1

Time to try and get some silver anodizing on the back portion

Masks off

CiqAwRD.jpg

Silver on - not looking as good as @speedy_w_beans so I would love to know if there is a trick to it?? I backed mine with white as shown below.

1ZKWqwu.jpg

I was progressing well with the painting and started packing up before I remembered I had more parts to paint,... what with laying 3 different coats down and various masking and backing it had felt like I was done..... alas I was not....#SPARE PARTS

Rear wheel arches - which I trimmed incorrectly and need to fix later

b8bfCRK.jpg

Left arch is ok

arytNZt.jpg

Right arch is not ok

WHDryCP.jpg

These will help? Glued in place with maybe Shoo Goo?

5l4ZS8H.jpg

Anyway all painted now just needs fixing.... oh and the rear coupler in yello w, I'd forgotten that part too.

GjNTp0Z.jpg

All laid out - still remove the overspray film but it all looks promising

c3nkY3T.jpg

LNDCQ6H.jpg

That rear wheel arch to fix

4HhHQnV.jpg

Back side of the cab

Bu61ZLT.jpg

eVj5Tco.jpg

• Like 3