Jason1145

58661 - BuggyRa Fat Fox TT01E Truck build

Recommended Posts

Looks great so far!

As for the wheel arch repair, I'd recommend first attaching it with tape from the outside, getting the alignment as close to perfect as possible and ensuring that the tape seals the join. Then put a bead of shoe goo on the back, squish it all the way into the corner and allow to set. Building up the goo in layers, you can build up a nice strong fillet that should hold up to rigorous use.

This is how I fixed a split in my F1 shell. You can hardly see the join and it holds up to collisions at race speeds with no problems. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What makes it tricky is there's no meat to hold it in place, it's a clean cut right in the middle of the 90 degree join.. so even holding it in place with two hands is hard.

Hence I thought about those little 90degree off cuts to wedge it from the inside to hold the offcut in place and having something to lean on but stop it collapsing on itself too.

The tape on the outside is a good idea I'll incorporate into the fix as well thanks

I was cautious to use Shoo Goo as the last time I used it to hold some light buckets in place it reacted with the chrome and smudged causing darker patches to be seen through the body shell... but these black arches should be ok.

I may use just two of the right angle pieces and tape to get some rigidity to lay some Shoo in place and take hold and then maybe even leave those pieces there wedged in... just need to check there is tyre clearance inside the arch etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Silver on - not looking as good as @speedy_w_beans so I would love to know if there is a trick to it?? I backed mine with white as shown below.

I backed mine in PS-5 black.  Two coats of PS-48 first (with plenty of drying time between coats), and then a coat of PS-5.

Edited by speedy_w_beans
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours of decal applying and it's slowly coming together... however not painting it box art has shown some major drawbacks when applying certain decals... namely decals that have a white background built in to them.

When these are placed against a black body shell they look pants!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

2 hours of decal applying and it's slowly coming together... however not painting it box art has shown some major drawbacks when applying certain decals... namely decals that have a white background built in to them.

When these are placed against a black body shell they look pants!

Show pictures   ;) 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

2 hours of decal applying and it's slowly coming together... however not painting it box art has shown some major drawbacks when applying certain decals... namely decals that have a white background built in to them.

When these are placed against a black body shell they look pants!

Depending on the decal, I wonder if you can get around this by either getting some white vinyl and making a rectangular white background for them, or cutting them really close to the edge so that the white is not part of the decal anymore?

I am not sure which decals you are referring to exactly, so the above might be total rubbish.)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Depending on the decal, I wonder if you can get around this by either getting some white vinyl and making a rectangular white background for them, or cutting them really close to the edge so that the white is not part of the decal anymore?

I am not sure which decals you are referring to exactly, so the above might be total rubbish.)

Yes I've had to cut a couple really close to remove the white background so they look ok now against the black body... some decals however are not suitable for this so will be omitted from use.

 

7 hours ago, SRB Bloke said:

Show pictures   ;) 

 

Will do Sir... just putting the little un down for bed before dad time starts :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More pics

MUuVEiK.jpg

Not yet fixed together.... still deciding how to do it properly etc

8OOJzAh.jpg

ohcEgEZ.jpg

2zGir8E.jpg

jj0LoZu.jpg

ljjvi3A.jpg

QhfWrlM.jpg

And a few of the little the decal issue's.... this one now can't be used as I have painted the shell black and this gets lost on the background :(

aav3YCE.jpg

06f7ohI.jpg

 

And others..... if I try to use them they don't look great ... this is with all the edging trimmed out... but the width of the decal still leaves an unsightly.... um... edge?!

81FTm9K.jpg

 

And tis decal..... is supposed to be on a white background but I painted this cab yellow.... so....#

gyqrkw3.jpg

It looks like this ;p

B0Ru27l.jpg

 

That's all for now. but how should i proceed.... decal the body parts first and then stick it all together... or other way around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you use a sharpie to colour the cut edge of the black decals?

 

The black letters on white, maybe paint or decal a white rectangle for it to go on.

 

Looks far better in black and yellow though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, graemevw said:

Can you use a sharpie to colour the cut edge of the black decals?

 

The black letters on white, maybe paint or decal a white rectangle for it to go on.

 

Looks far better in black and yellow though.

I like the idea of the black sharpie, not so much the white rectangle thingy though lol.. cheers ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some decals applied and the cab and back section taped in place.... I forgot to put the wing mirrors before this stage and it's so nicely taped now I may leave them off

rQsd7Cs.jpg

KduuyKO.jpg

xxNciAU.jpg

I had no appreciation for the interior view when I was masking off the lower body lol..... but there are some window declas to apply so this will all be obscured a touch

66MeoGn.jpg

 

Next I turned my attention to the rear wheel arch pieces....

EsQPmYp.jpg

Some holes and tape applied.... these are held on with a 2mm nut and screw

twS9sHZ.jpg

eR3y9av.jpg

OY5s4hv.jpg

And one wheel arch on

hzywLPT.jpg

xE8jj49.jpg

GooBEnB.jpg

jExasMg.jpg

 

Now to fix the other rear wheel arch which I accidetally cut off - I kept some of the lexan from the main shell and trimmed it down to size to make L shaped brackets and used double sided tape

QLLHhXV.jpg

CimHcYC.jpg

VcecDnY.jpg

hlplrA6.jpg

0TqcOXn.jpg

And some Shoo Goo to hold it in place

04h6FY1.jpg

Ready to fit now.

PMmVTM7.jpg

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flawless repair, well done. It’s looking good 👍🏻

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, it's slow burn this one, normally from finishing the painting stage I've always managed to decal and add any extra body parts within a day but not this more complicated thing.

If I help another member avoid my two errors so far it'll be worth it

1) Don't cut the rear wheel arch incorrectly!

2) Fit the wing mirrors before you attach the cab to the main body ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress = Both rear wheel arch's and yellow coupler are now fitted.

dpZ4AcR.jpg

TlrvBN5.jpg

And sat on the chassis..... atleast the wheels line up in the wheel wells!

D3OpWv8.jpg

D8krsIf.jpg

L7yvNB3.jpg

Next job will be to finish the decals and then it's completed

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more i see these racing trucks the more i realise i need one - that’s looking great!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kevin_Mc said:

The more i see these racing trucks the more i realise i need one - that’s looking great!

There's been a positive glut of Team Hahn Trucks on EBay lately and all done to a high standard sat on the TT01E chassis... I even tried to buy one of them to sit next to this try look so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here you go to see your truck race Image result for verviers freins Gulf race truck

did you need those stickers, i'm only using a few. i posted earlier about it somewhere. i didn't know how to PM you, any ways you can have the flags, i'm assuming they are the red, white & blue shields?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 2:49 PM, Kevin_Mc said:

The more i see these racing trucks the more i realise i need one - that’s looking great!

Take two there small:D

i want the MAN so as FFG won't be alone, i have so many left over parts that i just have to get a few things to build the chassis and purchase a body and use all the stock pieces from the Hop Ups that took there place, i even ordered an xtra tub just in case, you can get the CF kits for these and they are only $90+ ship but i do not know the quality and there's a few reviews on them. https://www.ebay.com/p/Alloy-Carbon-Shaft-Drive-1-10-RC-4wd-Touring-Car-Frame-Kit-for-Tt01-Tt01e/632998152?iid=112374577338&chn=ps

Jason 1145 your truck needs an aspirin it's SICK  these are the most neatest bodies for RC that has come out since i can remember, Good Form Tamiya! 

Have Fun.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ACCEL said:

Take two there small:D

i want the MAN so as FFG won't be alone, i have so many left over parts that i just have to get a few things to build the chassis and purchase a body and use all the stock pieces from the Hop Ups that took there place, i even ordered an xtra tub just in case, you can get the CF kits for these and they are only $90+ ship but i do not know the quality and there's a few reviews on them. https://www.ebay.com/p/Alloy-Carbon-Shaft-Drive-1-10-RC-4wd-Touring-Car-Frame-Kit-for-Tt01-Tt01e/632998152?iid=112374577338&chn=ps

Jason 1145 your truck needs an aspirin it's SICK  these are the most neatest bodies for RC that has come out since i can remember, Good Form Tamiya! 

Have Fun.

I've finished the decals!!

It does look good, will grab some photos of it when I'm back home next just to finish this project off nicely.

Thanks @ACCEL that's generous, not the shields but the big red white blue flag on the roof... maybe you need that one so no worries ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

I've finished the decals!!

It does look good, will grab some photos of it when I'm back home next just to finish this project off nicely.

Thanks @ACCEL that's generous, not the shields but the big red white blue flag on the roof... maybe you need that one so no worries ;)

i'm a Yank so the only flag is under the carriage.

i will be using just a few of the stickers, so there will be quite a few left over, for i have all my Gulf sizes needed and a few others of RC vendors that i like to use.

lights will be the most time consuming for i want diffused lighting not the direct in your eyeball led lazer effect so i have some film i'm going to use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ACCEL said:

Take two there small:D

Thanks, i’ll show that to the boss and hope she gives it a rubber stamp 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished it!!

I did mess up the Czech roof flag so I had to peel it off and bin it, so the roof now has a Tamiya logo and the colour scheme doesn't mis match too bad.

I used most of the decals, forgot the wing mirrors, and had to repair a rear wheel arch.

Looking at the Box Art colour next to mine I am pleased I went with something different, but now looking again I can see the beauty in the Box Art too, and I will give muchos respectus to anyone who does a Box Art shell with all 5 colours painted, wing mirrors on and that darned roof flag laid down wrinkle free!  

4Bk2CbH.jpg

VwQFgV4.jpg

PpC4mJW.jpg

MNU4p8y.jpg

sYSWrVB.jpg

7j1ESLR.jpg

VqI1oyV.jpg

2ueUhmm.jpg

hV0O97r.jpg

XI66n7s.jpg

 

All that's left to do now is take it for a quick spin just to see it in action, never had a SuperStock RZ motor before so am curious how fast it goes on a 6cell Nimh ... which will be done next week.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Finished it!!

All that's left to do now is take it for a quick spin just to see it in action, never had a SuperStock RZ motor before so am curious how fast it goes on a 6cell Nimh ... which will be done next week.

err come mr speed demon stick a go fasted motor in it as after all they are meant to race and go like stink;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now