Collin

Dyna Storm, what to do with it!?

Finally I have them all together. The stinky TR-15T, the underrated Dya Blaster and the (r)evolutionary Dyna Storm. I spotted this model on ebay for a direct sale and could not resist. Because of my Dyna Blaster project I was looking for dampers and was a bit nervous about the price. 150-200€ for sleeved or hi-cap dampers does not make this hobby cheerfull for me. So why not getting a whole Buggy for the same price? :ph34r:

Well, it came today after some struggeling around with delivery service. Okay, its Christmas, for god sake. I think their job isnt a pleasure.

Anyway, things happened too quick and I did not took any photos from the shelfe beside the two other bros. So this is what I saw from the auction. The dampers and the bulkhead, have seen everything, I want it!

ds_01.jpg

ds_02.jpg

What was not includet was the gear cover. Beside this it was complete ready to run. I dont have any NiMhs so no chance to test it. Doese not matter, time will come.

And a second later, all this looked like this. :D Now its ready for cleaning and cloneing. For shure I´ll do my drawings for FRP parts and following modifications.

ds_03.jpg

ds_04.jpg

This are the only broken parts,... okay, motor guard is fine but the small mounting part has his cracks along the drilling. I think I´ll use the second alloy one I am going to make for the DB211x project. Same for the kickup.
ds_05.jpg

ds_06.jpg

And this is the rarity! The alloy bulkhead, made out of one piece. Do anyone know about it? I have read about a alloy version somewhere in a frenche RC forum but that was about a 2-part-screwed-together bulkhead. Anyway, suspension blocks made of alloy and servo mounts as well. Really massive, could it be even too massive? I am not sure, maybe ORB parts would be better because of giving a little bit of flex. Maybe following @SHY69 s steps and doing full alloy baseplate as he did on his gorgeous Evo I. Continuing the TRF211x way of life and redo FRP lower and upper deck? Maybe anything completely different or just in original condition with some reinforced TR-15T parts? I am not shure at all but I have time to think about.

Whats a pitty, here on TC there are some really inovativ projects around Dyna Strom but seem like this guys arent anymore here... :(

@Singapore_959

@Origineelreclamebord

• Like 4

Nothing better to do then heading over to the workshop, doing some cleaning. Better said, let the ultrasonic-cleaner do some cleaning. Guys, I´ll never ever want to miss this great tool!

From left to the right: heating up water, cleaner, trays, small parts, large parts
ds_08.jpg

It takes about 20 minute to prepare everything and 15 minutes for the cleaner. This is the result:

ds_09.jpg

ds_10.jpg

Took me another 30min to clean the sleeved dampers and some finishing. To dry parts I use the air compressor. You get out the liquid from the drilling holes and get off some loose dirt. Now its going back home, everything well packed.

ds_07.jpg

:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Nothing better to do then heading over to the workshop, doing some cleaning. Better saied, let the ultrasonic-cleaner do some cleaning. Guys, I´ll never ever want to miss this great tool!

From left to the right: heating up water, cleaner, trays, small parts, large parts

It takes about 20 minute to prepair everyting and 15 minutes for the cleaner. This is the result:

ds_10.jpg

Took me another 30min to clean the sleeved dampers and some fine afterwork. To dry parts I use the air compressor. You get out the liquid from the drinning holes and get off some loose dirt. Now its going back home, everything well packed.

:)

Looking at the damper sleeves, I tend to say the filling was Tamiya 400 most of their life!:D

Really nice find, and for 150-200€ not to expensive, I tend to say a steal, because of the rare aluminum Tuning parts!

2 minutes ago, Collin said:

150€ incl. shipping :ph34r:

Is the 400 the yellow one? Obvios…:lol:

:lol: You got it!:D  So, really a steal, as the Body also still Looks quite intact!

Yep, nothing to complain. The shell is nice, has some little cracks and the wing as well. I am not shure what I should do with it. For bashing its fine but for my costum sense its what we made in the 90s. A cheap two-tone colour fade effect :D

Starting the build now. TR-15T reinforced transmission case, internals are as new, even bearings. There was still brass bearing inside the diff, so it seems to be a original Dyna Storm release.

ds_11.jpg

• Like 2

Transmission turns like a charme.

ds_13.jpg

This FRP part is one of my overall favorit parts in design, such a beautiful shape.
ds_14.jpg

This is an lightweight version of the MDC case. It could be more radical by opening the sidewall but I want to keep dust outside, even if there is a clutch cover all around.
Mention the different colour, the light version took a draincleaner bath for a minute. It gives a nice dark grey colour which is great after dremeling and filing around. Also its the way to remove colour from anodized alloy (if you dont like hop-up-blue). ;)
ds_12.jpg

Finished the front suspension unit as well. C-hubs from ORB, just had a pair left because they sent them wron. But maybe they even did know about this project bevor I did. :lol:
ds_15.jpg

One thing about the suspension arms for all three family members (TR/DS/DB), once they are hardley used, simply turn them around and you have still meat around the shaft. For my opinnion this is a weak spot of the design.
ds_16.jpg

ds_17.jpg

And for the ultimat pleasure a glass of single malt, bevor I start with the rear suspension. :)
ds_18.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The alu bulkheads/suspension blocks are new to me, they are cool! Am I seeing correctly that the rear hangers even have the 2* anti-squat integrated?

As for an aluminium chassis plate, I have one (I drew it for SHY69, we both got one). Durability-wise it of course is great, but performance-wise I'm not sure if it is better. The Dyna Storm has a tendency to tweak the chassis from bumps. With the FRP chassis I think most of the tweak flexed back again (because it was so flexible); with the alu chassis to me it seemed to retain a lot more tweak.

PS: I am not often online on TC anymore, I just happened to notice the topic at the right time :-) Through ORB I have a lot of Dyna parts available these days; bulkheads, hubs, wishbones, steering, shock towers & mounts, slipper cap... A member at my local club recently asked if it might be possible to create a slipper housing that accepts modern / 48dp spur gears (for example if the centre is cut out); at the same time it could lighten the slipper assembly.

• Thanks 1

This looks great.  Maybe off topic, all things being equal, driver, motor, track etc. how does Dynastorm stack up against TRF201.  

1 hour ago, Origineelreclamebord said:

The alu bulkheads/suspension blocks are new to me, they are cool! Am I seeing correctly that the rear hangers even have the 2* anti-squat integrated?

As for an aluminium chassis plate, I have one (I drew it for SHY69, we both got one). Durability-wise it of course is great, but performance-wise I'm not sure if it is better. The Dyna Storm has a tendency to tweak the chassis from bumps. With the FRP chassis I think most of the tweak flexed back again (because it was so flexible); with the alu chassis to me it seemed to retain a lot more tweak.

PS: I am not often online on TC anymore, I just happened to notice the topic at the right time :-) Through ORB I have a lot of Dyna parts available these days; bulkheads, hubs, wishbones, steering, shock towers & mounts, slipper cap... A member at my local club recently asked if it might be possible to create a slipper housing that accepts modern / 48dp spur gears (for example if the centre is cut out); at the same time it could lighten the slipper assembly.

Great to catch you at the right time : ) and thanks for advice with my Dyna Blaster project also about the sub-plate dimension. I was in touch with Koen about this (and ORB parts for sure). Well, seems like I´ll stay original for now and will do a TRF211x conversion once I need some challange. The rear suspension blocks does have calculatet 2.9° angle. About gear cover, i thought it works even with the original one? http://www.rcfan.net/dynastorm/2.html 
I am just doing this for my DB211x conversion. I´ll post some photos soon.

Anyway, it´s so nice to work on this model series. They had really big potential and its a pitty that Tamiya put the focus somewhere else.

1 hour ago, RCvet said:

This looks great.  Maybe off topic, all things being equal, driver, motor, track etc. how does Dynastorm stack up against TRF201.  

I cant tell you becaus I do not drive in competition and I only put my focus in pre-2000 models. TRF201 already has mid-motor wich is really good for ballance. I think thats the major difference. At the end its the driver, who squeeses out the last drop of the fruit.

3 hours ago, Collin said:

Great to catch you at the right time : ) and thanks for advice with my Dyna Blaster project also about the sub-plate dimension. I was in touch with Koen about this (and ORB parts for sure). Well, seems like I´ll stay original for now and will do a TRF211x conversion once I need some challange. The rear suspension blocks does have calculatet 2.9° angle. About gear cover, i thought it works even with the original one? http://www.rcfan.net/dynastorm/2.html 
I am just doing this for my DB211x conversion. I´ll post some photos soon.

Anyway, it´s so nice to work on this model series. They had really big potential and its a pitty that Tamiya put the focus somewhere else

The club member asked if it were possible using the original MDC components, just a modified housing to help centre a modern spur correctly. To fit a modern slipper, the topshaft does need modification to achieve this.

4 hours ago, RCvet said:

RCVet: In racing conditions the Dyna Storm is truly a vintage car to drive with compared to modern rear-motor buggies (like the B4 and the original rear-motored TRF201). The car was designed with a completely different philiosophy of what was a fast car and a fast way to get around a track. In that era, you had very bumpy tracks, less powerful motors and less grippy tires. Some adjustments (such as shorter front shocks) do wonders for vintage racing, but it still does not stack up against a modern car even on dirt. For bashing you may encounter more bumps than on the track, so it might be a different story there. I do know that the Dyna certainly has at least as much fun factor as a modern rear or even mid buggy, both on- and off the racing track :-)

Ok, this is the interim status. The suspension blocks, they are too much for my opinion. bolted on with M4 screws, this is no tank man! I leave it for now but will put some inserts in the holes to go down to 3mm dia. This is definitly unnessecary weight at the naturaly heavy tail.
ds_19.jpg

ds_20.jpg

ds_21.jpg

I dont have any reinforced rear hubs right now, I decided to leave the original ones now, just to see how weak they are. ORB will help at this point. Shock tower is FRP from TR-15T.

The shell. I would give the master price in design to that person which made it back in the days. Its simply genius work.
ds_22.jpg

The side view, so many curves in such a simple thing.
ds_23.jpg

Well, electric tape, another genius at work. :lol:
ds_24.jpg

So, thats it for now. I miss too many parts of both (DB & DS) puzzles and have to wait for some essential parts.

@Origineelreclamebord Just two post in the same second... Keeping the MDC and using other spurs would be great but then you still have the heavy clutch. Honestly Id prefere a usual slipper clutch then. I love the MDC for its look, no doubt, but it can be much more simple.

So far its done. Built like the original, now its ready to run. Later I will think about what to do with it, probably a different front shocktower, fiber double-deck chassis and so on...
Sadly I drilled through my black 3D printed kick-up so I had to use the pink prototype. Looks a bit strange but who cares... :lol:

ds_25.jpg

ds_26.jpg

ds_27.jpg

• Like 3

Great thread. So interesting on the alloy parts. Something I want to ask a friend to machine for me, as I've also just taken delivery of a Dyna, that i owned years ago too lol.

Lee

Already had a look on yours, great tool man!
I am not sure how much it will need alloy parts since ORB did his nice nylon one. But anyway, they look cool.

If you are interested in the TRF211x style kick-up, I am very soon done with prototyping.

That sounds very interesting. That will be a printed part? In any case, count me in for sure.

Lee

It will be as you see a few postings above. Alloy kick-up plate with printet front part. Various colours, possibly with four mountings as I made it for my Dyna Blaster mod.

Meanwhile I did the stinky part of the job. Shoegoo works well but it smells so horrible...

ds_28.jpg

On 1/27/2019 at 11:47 AM, Ann3x said:

Ds just looks wrong without the proper wheels :(

Just for you my friend :lol: I agree, its much better now. The rubber does sit so tight that I consider not glueing them. Or ist it a must?

ds_29.jpg

Shure. I guess this question contains the answer. :ph34r:.. which means glue them.