Collin

Dyna Storm, what to do with it!?

9 hours ago, Collin said:

Just for you my friend :lol: I agree, its much better now. The rubber does sit so tight that I consider not glueing them. Or ist it a must?

ds_29.jpg

Immediately looks better. 

• Like 1

Okay... winter time is construction time : ) My plans for this Dyna Storm, building a reminiscense to the TRF211x.

So far I did some drawings for possible damper stays and chassis. There are two different ideas. If using shorter hi-cap damper there is the need for shorter damper stay. 
For a further project with Dyna Blaster tub chassis there is the need for a wider bulkhead.  The rear damper stay gets more mounting holes which moves a bit down, also because of using hi-caps.

The drawing for the slim chassis There will be not much space for the receiver and esc, but I think small is good and if I have a look at the tiny 2.4ghz receiver, they will fit between lower deck and upper brace.
The esc fits on the upper brace, in the center below the rear damper stay.

Thats my idears so far. Monday will be lasercutting time to get a good old cardboard prototype.

As always, idears and critics are warmly welcome! :)

• Like 2

Cardboard protoype.
DS211_01.jpg

DS211_02.jpg

Battery braces will be the same style like I did at the Dyna Blaster DB211x. Also I put the servo 2mm to the front, it seems to be fine and gives more space for the battery. Shocks will be the Hi-Caps, they have less way then the Dyna Storm ones, simulat to the TRF211x.

And here a curiosity :o Do someone know the Nintendo computer game called Rock n Roll Racer?! Somehow the cars looked like this :lol:

DS211_03.jpg

DS211_04.jpg

DS211_05.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 11:31 AM, Collin said:

And here a curiosity :o Do someone know the Nintendo computer game called Rock n Roll Racer?! Somehow the cars looked like this :lol:

You're right!

I loved that game and spent way too much time playing it on SNES!!

• Haha 1

@Collin would those parts that you are designing mean you could take a Super Astute and turn it into a Dyna Storm? Or would it require a Dyna Storm restoration project?

Good question which I cant give you an answer. I dont know any other models then the Dynas :unsure:

Super astute and dynastorm don't share many parts. Wheels and front hubs spring to mind.... 

Rear hubs too, as I remember.

Going to sell one or two Dyna Storm, if anyone is interested.

Just picked up my carbon :)

Will do sealing tomorrow and than we will see how it looks. Base chassis is 3mm.

DS_211_carbon.jpg

• Like 5

Time to assamble the whole kit. My drawings where pretty close to what I call perfect. Needed to file 4/10mm down at the upper deck front end. Also I accidently made the servo drilling to wide, like it is at the original Dyna Storm chassis. The screw still holds tight but drawing was adapted from 4,5 to 3mm slot. Also I modified the rear suspensin blocks. They where too heavy and also mounting screws where m4, now m3 as it should be. Also custom high colums between upper and lower deck need to be done next. But have a look and enjoy  :)

ds_39.jpg

ds_40.jpg

ds_41.jpg

ds_42.jpg

ds_43.jpg

ds_37.jpg

ds_38.jpg

But meanwhile at the upper end of Europe... :ph34r: @bjorklo
DS_scoop_12.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@colin wow those CF parts sure looks the thing.  👍🏼 

• Like 1

I cant tell you. They where the reason to buy this DS. Rear suspension blocks where way too massiv, so I modified them. You can see them at the first page of this thread.
If you want a alloy bulkhead, I am going to make some in near future.

Makes sense, Alternative rear suspension blocks and front bulkhead are a must for a DS runner. Just like the Astute family of cars. Pergu used to make them. A shame they dont anymore. 

Exactly. Same for Blaster and TR15T. Its the weakest spot and no spares available. But I sm enthusiast, so I will provide this parts asap. One leaves, one comes. : )

On 12/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, Origineelreclamebord said:

A member at my local club recently asked if it might be possible to create a slipper housing that accepts modern / 48dp spur gears (for example if the centre is cut out); at the same time it could lighten the slipper assembly.

Did you kept on with this project? Just had it in my mind. T.

No, he still drives the original spur and slipper housing. It's probably the best way to retain the vintage feel of the car anyway, in fact wouldn't it be nice if Tamiya re-released it again in a few years? :-)

• Like 2

Yes this would be a real hit! I think a lot of people are waiting for a DS. And I would love it for a original D5 bulkhead for my original one.

Its really funny to see how the original was and how the modified one looks beside. 

:wub:

• Like 1

Made some progress today. Its ready to run but need still some minor changes. @ralphee So great, Kydex is the way to go! I love it. Now I know how to use it even better. I burned a bit because using a small gas-lighter but for the next pieces it will be perfect.
I even heated it up when it was all mountet so it losst all stress and tension inside. Such a great material, cant belive it. Even for the rear motor guard its perfect. I have to admit, the alignements of the upper screws is messed up but drilling 2.5mm holes centered in the side of a mounting rod is not so easiy! Need to get a small lathe next : )

What else? In compare with the original DS the overall weigt (no ESC, no Battery but Servo and Motor) is only 10gramms more (1100grams original) with 1120g. With the aluminum parts thats pretty good! Undertray need to be done but I will do that together with the lexan gear cover. Something I want to finishe this winter. Need to find someone with a vacum forming tool. Also the finised airscoop needs to be remodelled to fit with the rear motor guard. Rims are comeing new ones, the turbine style nimrods, will do a testprint soon. Battery clamp nees some suft material underneath to keep the battery in its place. I am not shure, maybe I am doing something like Astute style instead of thhis carbone fiber plates, have to think about...

Edit: About the steering Arms H3/H4, I made new lower ones like the one from the TR211x. need to machine some new steering posts too. So I can redesign the upper deck with more closed area in the front. This might give some more stability against winding as well.

But here are some pics to see :)

ds_45.jpg

ds_46.jpg

ds_47.jpg

ds_48.jpg

ds_49.jpg

ds_50.jpg

ds_55.jpg

ds_56.jpg

ds_57.jpg

ds_58.jpg

• Like 3

One of the last bits is done, the undertray. It fits really nice, I did a second version now which is a bit higher and with some more meterial in the corners... will print and change it when this one is woren out.

ds_59.jpg

ds_60.jpg

ds_61.jpg

ds_62.jpg

ds_63.jpg

• Like 1

Bad fault,  soldered the Schottky Diod to the wrong connector of the brused motor an destroyed the rare Ko Propo ESC. So I took the 10.5T Nosram brushless out of my Losi XXX.  Can someone give me an advice with gearing please? it is the 64 spur gear original and I took a 27t pinion, the largest I found.

Somehow I wanted to keep this Dyna with a hot brushed system to keep it a bit vintage but I dont care anymore. I just want to run it now. While I printed the V2 of the undertray I installed the electronics.All nice and slick. I like it how the LiPo saver shines through the windscreen. : )

ds_64.jpg

ds_65.jpg

ds_66.jpg

ds_67.jpg

I had a garden-testrun last weekend and even with the brushed motor it runs really good. Handeling, cornering acceleration. For me its the perfect buggy (even if I dont know any others epect my Losi : ) . Last piece to do is the airscoop for the motor cooling. I have to modifie it to fit the rear motor guard but this will be done in the next days.