Sign in to follow this  
gt6++

MF01X battery fitting

Hello everyone,  I have been passing my Christmas holiday putting together an MF01X kit with my 3yr old son.  It has been sitting in its box unbuilt for quite some time.  I am glad that my son has showed interest in putting together the "truck".  I have completed the chassis and just need to do up the body.

I did an obligatory test run with an old sub-C 6 cell flat pack I had lying around.  It doesn't seem to hold much of a charge anymore, but that isn't my main concern right now.  When I put the battery in the tray, there is a gap about 1.5cm (see left side on photo).  This seems like an awful lot amount of slop that will allow the battery to sway back and forth too much.  I double (triple) checked the manual and I used the right parts and tamiya only mentions using foam on the bottom of the tray for correct battery fitment. 

Everything seems correct, but something tells me it can't be....I checked all over the net and did not find any mention of a similar problem in any other people's builds.  Can someone just confirm that this gap is not normal?  I am dreading taking apart the whole chassis just to readjust, but I am afraid I may have to go that road.

Thanks for any pointers!

IMG-20181229-170114-1.jpg

With a square hole this will take longer Lipo packs, a good thing for the majority.

If you only have short packs I would add a little stick backed foam to take out the slack

With Tamiya being so slow to catch on to using Lipo I never would have thought that they would now start making kits that cater to using them :unsure:

This is my first "modern" RC build in quite some time so I guess things have moved on....

I think they are made for the 6v Liping or HiLow packs or whatever they call them. 

Tamiya's showcasing of MF-01X reveals that much gap.  

You can put some foam on the inside of the brackets.  I save all kinds of packing foams for such purposes.  You can hot-glue all kinds of things like rubber feet you can buy at hardware stores, or plastic or wooden pieces, etc, etc.  

UlTU679.jpg

51 minutes ago, gt6++ said:

With Tamiya being so slow to catch on to using Lipo I never would have thought that they would now start making kits that cater to using them :unsure:

This is my first "modern" RC build in quite some time so I guess things have moved on....

There are now quite a few Tamiya kits that are designed to take rectangular LiPo packs. The MF-01X, M-05V2, M-06, M-07, F104V2, TT-02 and G6-01 spring to mind for example, and there are no doubt several others too.

• Like 1

Thanks for that pic Jugular, it confirms everything for me.  Will have to look for some packing foam or the sorts in my storage.  I still find it strange that Tamiya only mentions using the included foam strip inside the tray to fill a tiny battery gap, but doesn't say anything about the large gap on the sides.  I am used to their manuals being fairly thorough. 

• Like 1

meh, just wrap a big fat rubberband around the pack. Postman leaves plenty of big fat rubberbands so they don't even cost anything... :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1