Futura

TT02b question.

In our (son & I) fleet we have a Dual ridge buggy, it's been hopped up & still goes well considering it has spent as much time cartwheeling through the air as on it's wheels.:rolleyes:

My question relates to the damper stays.

Now this thing has been crashed, a lot, so I understand the need for flex in the suspension components but the damper stays flex where the shocks mount. They flex massively, up & down, in & out and probably some other planes I don't understand!

Can anyone advise on an upgrade? Alloy mounts don't seem the best idea (for us) & I've seen carbon mounts & FRP mounts, anyone got any experience?

IMO the standard towers are awful. I'm running FRP towers and have done since day 2 of owning it and finding out the plastic towers are pants. I've not broken one yet but I've not flipped it end over end over end. Alloy towers will bend or transfer the shock to the gearbox and smash that instead. FRP towers will break under a large impact but they should give before the gearbox. Carbon is a very nice option but expensive to replace if you break one.

• Like 1

I made a little strut brace out of threaded rod and some ball ends for the front tower and it made a big difference. Ot was surprising how much better my worn out cars with a strut bracd handled than a mates basically brand new one. I'm not fussed about performance for these cars though, they are just fun bashers for fhe backyard. I would upgrade to a DB01 rather than spend any money trying to make a TT02B better

• Like 1

The tt02b ms front fiberglass towers are junk too. I broke 3 before i added an aluminum which i know the issues that can occur and tamiya at the time did not release the carbon towers. Snce adding the aluminum 2 yrs ago, no bends or breaks so i cant complain. Eventually i may add the carbon

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

. I would upgrade to a DB01 rather than spend any money trying to make a TT02B better

Jonathon... I thought you were better than that. Lol. If buying outright again I'd seriously consider something else other than the TT02B for bashing but as he already has the model throwing some shock towers on it will help.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Jonathon... I thought you were better than that. Lol. If buying outright again I'd seriously consider something else other than the TT02B for bashing but as he already has the model throwing some shock towers on it will help.

Haha true, but really its like a public service right, encouraging someone to buy a DB01...

• Haha 1

Just now, Jonathon Gillham said:

Haha true, but really its like a public service right, encouraging someone to buy a DB01...

I did look at the DB01 before buying my TT02B but I was drawn in by the Metallic Pink body and wheels. I do like the DB01RRR as I think Tamiya just adding extra R's to the model code is brilliantly lazy.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

The tt02b ms front fiberglass towers are junk too.

Are these what I see advertised as FRP?

On 12/31/2018 at 6:49 PM, TwistedxSlayer said:

IMO the standard towers are awful.

The shocks don't do any work for the first part of the suspension stroke, just bending tower plastic! 

On 1/1/2019 at 6:29 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

I made a little strut brace out of threaded rod and some ball ends for the front tower and it made a big difference. Ot was surprising how much better my worn out cars with a strut bracd handled than a mates basically brand new one. I'm not fussed about performance for these cars though, they are just fun bashers for fhe backyard. 

I've seen the threaded rod modification on a car on here somewhere, I can see that being a good mod for the front, the rear is beyond help.:D

41 minutes ago, Futura said:

Are these what I see advertised as FRP?

The shocks don't do any work for the first part of the suspension stroke, just bending tower plastic! 

I've seen the threaded rod modification on a car on here somewhere, I can see that being a good mod for the front, the rear is beyond help.:D

Yes they are. 

• Like 1