Sign in to follow this  
moffman

Some tips on a topcat build

Just thought I would share some tips On building the schumacher topcat as these classic Schumacher's are not the easiest of builds! (But very rewarding when done🤗I was going to save this buggy until the new year but I couldn't stop looking at it!. The first let's just say pleasant snag is the ridiculously small e-clips on the front arms! 30 seconds into the build I lost one and schumacher don't supply any extra so go carefull they are a absolute pain to fit on! The second pleasant snag is if you go for the upgrade transmission it's a bit of a guesstimate when you go from the kit instructions to the upgrade transmission instructions and you have to use some of the bearings from the standard kit transmission (Parts bag b step 24 those bearings) but the instructions don't inform you to do that🤔!, the final pleasant snag is the c-clips that hold all the rubber and plastic rings in the bottom of the shocks! They are virtually impossible to put in the base of the shock my tip is to squeeze the c-clip very slightly together then rest it on the said hole it has to go in then use a tamiya wrench and force it in (with quite a bit of force) until you feel it click in place!. Other than a bit of fettling with the plastic on plastic fitments the build was very enjoyable I hope this helps anyone who decides to purchase one! the quality of the finished buggy is fantastic😍!. hopefully will put a picture build tread on when I can get a bit more spare time!

20181231_092903.jpg

20181229_133553.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

Can't wait to see mine delivered.  Did they do anything with the pen or certificate like they sent with the CAT XLS?

Unfortunately no pen no certificate but did build a lot easier than the XLS!

3 hours ago, moffman said:

Unfortunately no pen no certificate but did build a lot easier than the XLS!

Oh well, that was a cool touch on the XLS.  Mine shipped from California on the 21st and isn't due until Thursday though it is now sitting at UPS about two miles away from my house!  I tell you, don't have anything shipped just before the Christmas holiday with UPS.  A 5 business day journey that includes two four day weekends stretches delivery time considerably (currently estimated to be 14 calendar days shipment to delivery).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamiya3speed said:

Oh well, that was a cool touch on the XLS.  Mine shipped from California on the 21st and isn't due until Thursday though it is now sitting at UPS about two miles away from my house!  I tell you, don't have anything shipped just before the Christmas holiday with UPS.  A 5 business day journey that includes two four day weekends stretches delivery time considerably (currently estimated to be 14 calendar days shipment to delivery).

Like wise with our couriers over here mentioning no names (yodel, Hermes) my schumacher tyres arrived by post next day the brushless combo and batteries I ordered the same time delivery by couriers still no sign of🤔

Almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these. What electrics are you using?

• Like 1

I'm using core rc servo for the steering and absima thrust eco brushless combo and spektrum receiver with a short 2c lipo admittedly I haven't bought the lipo yet because I wasn't sure if my normal stick lipo would fit but it doesn't (to bulky)👍

20190101_164844.jpg

• Like 1

Those Abisma brushless are built by hobbywing, and they fly, brutal acceleration if programmed to full punch (there is a program card for them, most hobbywing ones will work). It blew up my manta ray gearbox after about 10 minutes of use. Admittedly with 4 sand paddles so all the force was on the gearbox! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Those Abisma brushless are built by hobbywing, and they fly, brutal acceleration if programmed to full punch (there is a program card for them, most hobbywing ones will work). It blew up my manta ray gearbox after about 10 minutes of use. Admittedly with 4 sand paddles so all the force was on the gearbox! 

That's interesting to know that its built by hobbywing👍this is my second one for that reason it's an animal of a combo! I took the brushless setup out of my losi rock rey and put the absima combo in that with 3s lipo now it does backflips and its Insanely fast (not that the original set up was slow by any means) to the extent you have to be careful because if you let it continue with a wheelie it blows the front tyre off😄 (every now and then you need an rc that's totally mad and pointless does the soul good during the winter months😊)

Finally finished the top cat. The front suspension works fantastic. Much better than expected. I have used the pro transmission and alloy eccentrics. The ball diff is great! In summary, the buggy is nice to build and is of high quality! Hope I can drive this 2wd schumacher buggy soon.

IMG_20190110_213531.png

• Like 2

Looking great ! Plan on getting one soon to go with my cat collection. I m going to keep stock transmission though. Will you be using your stock transmission ???? If not I ll buy ot off you for when I ineviatvly break mine !

This is an option that not only strengthen the front, but eliminates the free fall of the suspension and ensures control by the shocks in both directions.