Slyda

Silver Bullet Super Hotshot Build

12 hours ago, Aviator said:

I had the exact same problem with the 6mm screw on my rere non-super Hotshot, it looks like the bumper part is the same. I eventually gave up and replaced the screw with a racing drone motor mount hex head-screw.

Interesting! Mine's a non-super too, but as you say it looks as if the bumper and fittings are identical - I checked a super-hotshot manual to see if they'd changed anything. The screw on mine did seem to be more like 5.6mm long rather than 6mm, so I wonder if they've got a batch of screws that are just slightly at the short end of the tolerance and that bumper screw is only just long enough anyway.

22 hours ago, AJB123 said:

If I've understood what you mean about the inner wheel having more steer than the outer, though, then that's is deliberate and correct. It's Ackermann Steering and is correct because, looking from above, the inner wheels make a smaller circle than the outer ones, so the inner ones should be steered more.

Put simply, the Ackermann effect is a result of the steering knuckle's balljoint position in relation to the wheel's (steering) pivot point. 

Offset servos do not cause this effect. All they do is throw it off balance. If the servo was mounted centrally with everything else unchanged, you'd still have Ackerman, only equally balanced. 

Setting the servo endpoints will probably lessen the visible imbalance at full lock, but won't remedy the imbalance as such, as unequal tie rod lengths will result in unequal steering action on both sides thru the entire steering angle anyway.

Compared to the efford required to mount a centralized servo, or set up a balanced steering linkage, the unequal steering effect is probably negligible, that's why all the early kits have this issue. It just wasn't worth solving completely.

• Thanks 1

Took me long enough, but finally got round to competing the build. Couple of pics here to close off. Very happy with the result.

IMG_6761.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6765.JPG

IMG_6762.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

just bought a NIB today so will be following in your wake shortly. Must read the whole thread now.

Any pitfalls I need to know about? just built a BigWig re re at Christmas

1 hour ago, nginsb said:

Took me long enough, but finally got round to competing the build. Couple of pics here to close off. Very happy with the result.

Looks Good! :) We really were in step - I finished my Hotshot on Friday! A few pics (although I know I'm kind of an imposter on a Super Hotshot thread...!!)

IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.2a163e183cfbc55326994d8fbe01594f.JPG

IMG_0287.thumb.JPG.d3219835a04274f0620341bc046a19d1.JPG

IMG_0301.thumb.JPG.b4fcc8e932d006e2fb71a973db6b82d6.JPG

IMG_0302.thumb.JPG.f90883e42eb5ee07e0553fd3a0c01071.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AJB123 said:

Looks Good! :) We really were in step - I finished my Hotshot on Friday! A few pics (although I know I'm kind of an imposter on a Super Hotshot thread...!!)

That Hotshot looks awesome! Thinking I might have to add one to the wish-list - will go well with the Super.

Great driving conditions where you are, enjoy the snow!

....now to get mine out and give it a good run...

11 hours ago, Baddon said:

just bought a NIB today so will be following in your wake shortly. Must read the whole thread now.

Any pitfalls I need to know about? just built a BigWig re re at Christmas

Baddon, it was a relatively straight forward build. I found the steering setup needed a little adjustment (I played around with the lengths of the steeling shafts which were somewhat off from the suggested measurements). See above comments and feedback received on the steering for this particular model. 

Hardest part (for me anyway) was getting a clean cutout of the body and routing out the holes needed for fitting - don't think I was using the right tools for the job!

Given that I haden't built one of these kits since the late 80's, and you've just completed a Bigwig build, I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all with this one. Enjoy, and post a build thread!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nginsb said:

Hardest part (for me anyway) was getting a clean cutout of the body and routing out the holes needed for fitting - don't think I was using the right tools for the job!

I built a rere WildOne last year (my first Tamiya since my Fox in the 80s) and drilled the holes for that, which was awkward and not very satisfying (or round!). So for the Hotshot bought this reamer which is SO much better and easier - well worth the purchase.

The clean cut out is fiddly - if you're using scissors then don't close them all the way to the tip even when you're snipping into a sharp corner. I've got a couple of tiny cracks in my body which I noticed after painting and, once I'd googled for it, realised are probably from fully closing them.

Still - now that I've got the reamer AND learnt how to use a pair of scissors, I guess I'll need to build another at some point to see if I can do it better next time!

3 hours ago, AJB123 said:

Still - now that I've got the reamer AND learnt how to use a pair of scissors, I guess I'll need to build another at some point to see if I can do it better next time!

Yep - I tried to Dremel the holes and cutouts but was all over the place - I think I definitely need to invest in one of those reamers to get the job done a bit cleaner (that or a steady hand!)

I've got an Avante re re waiting to be built and just spent my kids college fund on an Egress which I hope to arrive in the next few weeks. Thats the trouble with this hobby (and I remember this well from when I was a kid, with not a penny to my name and a Tamiya catalog to dream over), its never enough..

3 hours ago, nginsb said:

I've got an Avante re re waiting to be built and just spent my kids college fund on an Egress which I hope to arrive in the next few weeks.

That's excellent news. So you've got 3 re res? I've only got 2... That means I must be at least one short of "normal"..!!! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, AJB123 said:

That's excellent news. So you've got 3 re res? I've only got 2... That means I must be at least one short of "normal"..!!! :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a re re Fighting Buggy - then I might stop there...you got some catching up to do!

• Like 1

Due to a few life issues getting in the way it has taken me far too long to finish off the Silver Bullet but it's basically done now. A few little lose ends to tidy up before the indoor race season kicks off for the winter here in NZ. Due to budget restraints I have not been able to fit the MIP diffs like I wanted and due to supply issues the TRF shocks I bought were a no show so a set of Absima's will be on the job until the TRF's are added at a later date.

60540696_2535802133172041_1449897074123341824_n.jpg

60530239_2535802206505367_2396359178688921600_n.jpg

60030016_2535802269838694_13460689498669056_n.jpg

60277786_2535802306505357_3366303596038586368_n.jpg

60151403_2535802166505371_8184797817391284224_n.jpg

• Like 3

Very nicely built. Have always had a soft spot for the Hotshot and Super Hotshot.

Very nice build Slyda, glad you manged to get back to it after the time out. Interested to hear how it runs on the indoor circuit, that wing gives it a whole new dimension!

Was secretly hoping you did a Coors light livery.  Your buggy came out very nice