Sign in to follow this  
Theibault

Tamiya Lancia 037 Rally TA02S Video Build

I was messing around with my 037 this morning, still trying to get the body and wheelbase to my liking, when I saw your video.

Nice coincidence. I love to see how others build a model that I've built myself. Good luck with the rest of the buid.

Here's a few pics of mine so far, after much gnashing of teeth, indecision, and just general faffing about.

P1010678_zpsroci0kte.jpg

P1010677_zps10x0pqxa.jpg

P1010676_zpsyni1kawh.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Fuijo said:

I was messing around with my 037 this morning, still trying to get the body and wheelbase to my liking, when I saw your video.

Nice coincidence. I love to see how others build a model that I've built myself. Good luck with the rest of the buid.

Here's a few pics of mine so far, after much gnashing of teeth, indecision, and just general faffing about.

Looks awesome! Can't wait to finish it so I can run it. I will def not be using that big bumper on mine. ;)

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the big bumper either. But the body took me such an insane amount of time to complete, that the thought of damaging it makes me wince and want a still bigger bumper. I've stopped

short of strapping a duvet to the front, but the temptation is certainly there.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Theibault said:

Looks awesome! Can't wait to finish it so I can run it. I will def not be using that big bumper on mine. ;)

The TL-01 bumper that appears on one of the parts trees is a perfect fit and hides nicely under the body ;) More importantly, it retains that U-shaped bar at the front to keep the front suspension arms in place. Like Fuijo, I was tempted to run mine like this, but all that time spent on bodywork made the bumper more or less mandatory!

Keep up the great build! We always need more Lancias :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grastens said:

The TL-01 bumper that appears on one of the parts trees is a perfect fit and hides nicely under the body ;) More importantly, it retains that U-shaped bar at the front to keep the front suspension arms in place. Like Fuijo, I was tempted to run mine like this, but all that time spent on bodywork made the bumper more or less mandatory!

Keep up the great build! We always need more Lancias :)

The small bumper is the plan! I'm not worried about scuffing the body. Got a spare 84355 body set I bought a few years ago. ;)

• Like 1

I swapped out the bumper for the smaller one, part E7, and removed the rear bumper too, so that you can see what it looks like.

I do think it looks much better. Now if only something could be done about the chassis being so visible, that would be great. I suspect I wont have much luck

there though. Ideas so far = 0.

P1010684_zpsjnolmrc7.jpg

P1010682_zps6jttc8ax.jpg

P1010680_zpsww8xssvb.jpg

5 hours ago, Fuijo said:

I swapped out the bumper for the smaller one, part E7, and removed the rear bumper too, so that you can see what it looks like.

I do think it looks much better. Now if only something could be done about the chassis being so visible, that would be great. I suspect I wont have much luck

I know the build thread I did a while ago has some tips - it must have been a combination of manipulating the internal damper spacers and body post settings; I never used the 5 mm cuts of tubing for the rear posts. It certainly is possible to reduce the amount of chassis exposed under the bodywork while retaining a useful suspension configuration.

Can you run longer lower eyelets on the shocks, remove the shock collars, and then drop the body on the posts a couple of notches?  That will add some ground clearance and tuck the battery tray up into the body several millimeters.

The problem is that I can't get the body any lower at the rear. It's practically resting on the shock mount. I rotated the spacer for the body post by 90 degrees so that the little fork thingie was not in the way, and

as far as I can see that's as low as it will go. Lowering the suspension arms will just make it look like it's jacked up.

I went back through my own build thread, and it looked like what I did was remove the larger of the internal damper spacers, and add two pre-load spacers to each damper. I kept the shorter bottom damper eyelets on, for a stance that looks like this:

t8w713.jpg

This setup still allows the wheels to clear the arches under full compression:

30clqwx.jpg

30xadj4.jpg

It also looks like I left off the 5 mm rubber spacers underneath the rear end of the shell, leaving it sitting as low as it can go. I was fine with the clearance between the wheels and the arches, since I intended to run the car off-road, but some more creativity will be required (as well as a harder suspension setup) to achieve less negative space between the two. Of course, the front body post settings were also lowered.

I owe @ThunderDragonCy for that tip during my 037 build. Hope this helps!

Edit: and to get an idea of what this will look like on a finished car-

2yywoxw.jpg

However, regular running does get the overall ground clearance to change over time. I believe, though, that the chassis is more exposed in later photos of my 037 as I must have lifted the shell slightly when fitting the sound device and LEDs.

I managed to get even more ground clearance using the longer damper eyelets as speedy_w_beans had alluded to - almost to the point of tucking the chassis completely under the shell - but learned that it was better for the chassis to be closer to bottoming out at full compression. It was quite far from doing that with the longer parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might I also add that I dig the old Colorado Rockies logo in the intro page :D At least, I thought that is what it is...

On topic, the whole thing looks to be building up quite nicely :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grastens said:

This setup still allows the wheels to clear the arches under full compression:

They will anyway. They tuck neatly under the arches.

The chassis bottoms out before the shocks do.

P1010685_zpsqzjfdtt4.jpg

It also looks like I left off the 5 mm rubber spacers underneath the rear end of the shell, leaving it sitting as low as it can go.

It will go a bit lower. As I explained (badly) above, rotating parts H8 through 90 or 180 degrees gives a couple more mm. The body posts wont rotate as the parts are keyed together anyway, and at

that body height the extra support is not required. I didn't want to mount the body without an o-ring though, but they squash down a little. The triangular fillet supporting the body post doesn't interfere

either because the holes in the body are oval rather than round.

P1010686_zps1ffvlywz.jpg

I managed to get even more ground clearance using the longer damper eyelets as speedy_w_beans had alluded to - almost to the point of tucking the chassis completely under the shell - but learned that it was better for the chassis to be closer to bottoming out at full compression. It was quite far from doing that with the longer parts.

Yeah, I'm after the stance of the real car/box art/ silhouette on the back of the manual, so I'm not looking to increase ground clearance more than standard.

You've lost me on how changing anything on the shocks will tuck the chassis further under the body. Surely that's only possible by lowering the body.

• Like 1

It is a combination of removing one internal damper spacer and lowering the shell that allows the chassis to tuck more under the shell while retaining similar ground clearance. Recall that the damper spacers prevent them from extending completely.

Removing one (and stiffening the springs) allows the dampers to extend further down, giving more ground clearance. To compensate for the increased height, then the body is lowered, giving the appearance of a stock ride height but with less chassis under the shell.

As for your comment about the wheels clearing the arches: examining my picture, it is clear we have different interpretations for "clearance." You are correct, though.

As you are after more of an on-road stance, though, I see this might not be useful. Hope you can find a solution!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grastens said:

Might I also add that I dig the old Colorado Rockies logo in the intro page :D At least, I thought that is what it is...

On topic, the whole thing looks to be building up quite nicely :)

It's actually the State of Colorado flag. :D (minus the R which was something I added lol)

@Grastens Ah, ok, I see what you mean now. Thanks for explaining further.

It seems neither of us were content to "trust Tamiya" with regard following the manual for this car. I wanted something as scale looking as possible, and you wanted a usable off-road car.

The manual instructs us to a compromise between the two which didn't make either of us happy. And I have to say this is a first for me with a Tamiya kit. Normally I like them standard.

It will be interesting to see what @Theibault makes of it all when he gets to that part of the build.

Watching with interest!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 1:05 PM, Fuijo said:

P1010680_zpsww8xssvb.jpg

Hi Fuijo,

your Lancia 037 is very nice.

Soon I will have to paint the wheels in my 037 custom project and I have a question for you: have you repainted the wheels? If yes which color did you use?

regards

Ciano67

4 hours ago, Ciano67 said:

Hi Fuijo,

your Lancia 037 is very nice.

Soon I will have to paint the wheels in my 037 custom project and I have a question for you: have you repainted the wheels? If yes which color did you use?

regards

Ciano67

Hi Ciano. Thanks!

I painted them with Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminium, on top of Tamiya white fine surface primer, after first removing the chrome plating.

• Like 2

Looks good so far. Did I notice a little bit of muttering at one point there? Heh! I've caught myself doing that lots of times. My wife says what? Who are you talking to? Um, just my RC car dear.

Good decision to leave the painting for warmer times. It's really a properly difficult body to paint, even just everything specified in the manual with no frills. I reckon I could have done 2 box-art Scorcher

bodies in the time it took. I spent an entire day just painting the lower part of the radiator grille. Of course that included working out how to do it without wrecking the rest of the paintwork.

So my money is on you fitting the ugly bumper for running. Place your bets! :)

• Like 1

@fuijo

A Lancia 037 is on the Way to my Home.

Are the Lightbuckets "LED ready" i have a LED Unit with Brakelights and Blinker etc. that i would like to install.

I love it when a Body ist "ready to use" like the Killerbody Bodys.