^Smith^

Different Bodies for Various Chassis

Recommended Posts

So...as a Newbie I'm hungry for info...Is there info on the tamiyaclub.com that can provide what bodies will fit  what chassis? Or does that turn into a Google search? Eager to get new bodies for Big Wig and Clodbuster (I'm hoping that the Bullhead will fit my Clod!!) I got a good lead on a RC Supplier from Baddon (thanks, Buddy!)...Kamtec Models

Thanks

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok you need to look up Tamiya Base. 

Here is the link (you may need to register) straight to the Clod.

https://tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models

So yes Bullhead and Super Clod fit.

As for the BigWig....Any of the Boomerang chassis bodies BUT they will not cover the wider chassis of the BigWig - it was wider to house the 8.4V battery.

While a Boomerang will take a Super Sabre and the Winger. All available from TBG

2018-12-31_01-06-40

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Baddon said, the Bigwig is wider than other Hotshot-based cars.  I have not heard of any other body being used on the Bigwig.  It requires the yellow plastic part and a metal hook to be secured to the chassis.  That might be the reason why people haven't (or couldn't have) tried other bodies on the Bigwig chassis. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Juggular said:

As Baddon said, the Bigwig is wider than other Hotshot-based cars.  I have not heard of any other body being used on the Bigwig.  It requires the yellow plastic part and a metal hook to be secured to the chassis.  That might be the reason why people haven't (or couldn't have) tried other bodies on the Bigwig chassis. 

 

 

DOAGH, I only built it a week ago and I forgot that massively important part.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Baddon sorry to side track but what is that 3rd car down on the left the silver/bluish one

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scipunk said:

@Baddon sorry to side track but what is that 3rd car down on the left the silver/bluish one

That is an un-stickered Thunder Dragon - otherwise known as The Best Tamiya Buggy Ever. 

(In my mind) 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That is an un-stickered Thunder Dragon - otherwise known as The Best Tamiya Buggy Ever. 

(In my mind) 

Don't mind T.D.C. he is biased, look at his name.... He is of course correct. its a yet to be finished Thunder Dragon. Its painted and being a TBG body has a blue protective film rather than a clear one. Its next on my to do list for decals.

When finished it will look like this.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=off&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=527&ei=MUAtXLbOCY_ClwTWzpGwCw&q=tamiya+thunder+dragon&oq=tamiya+thunder+dragon&gs_l=img.3..35i39j0i8i30j0i24l3.3082.7340..7714...0.0..0.75.1256.21......2....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..0.q53GfW3FjxQ#imgrc=KXDXMeSiIO07DM:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

39 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

That is an un-stickered Thunder Dragon - otherwise known as The Best Tamiya Buggy Ever. 

(In my mind) 

 

6 minutes ago, Baddon said:

Don't mind T.D.C. he is biased, look at his name.... He is of course correct. its a yet to be finished Thunder Dragon. Its painted and being a TBG body has a blue protective film rather than a clear one. Its next on my to do list for decals.

When finished it will look like this.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=off&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=527&ei=MUAtXLbOCY_ClwTWzpGwCw&q=tamiya+thunder+dragon&oq=tamiya+thunder+dragon&gs_l=img.3..35i39j0i8i30j0i24l3.3082.7340..7714...0.0..0.75.1256.21......2....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..0.q53GfW3FjxQ#imgrc=KXDXMeSiIO07DM:

It looks really cool like that tbh. Is it the same chassis as the Thunder shot? I found a complete one on ebay with remote and box for $295 (i have been looking for a Tamiya buggy to run at our indoor carpet track) Finding a lone one seems to be near impossible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scipunk said:

 

 

It looks really cool like that tbh. Is it the same chassis as the Thunder shot? I found a complete one on ebay with remote and box for $295 (i have been looking for a Tamiya buggy to run at our indoor carpet track) Finding a lone one seems to be near impossible.

Yes! You are a person of impeccable taste. 

It is a Thundershot chassis, yes. I love mine to bits, but on high grip surfaces it's a bit of a handful so it needs some of chassis tuning to get it to work OK. As much as it pains me to say it, unless you definitely want to run vintage there are better buggies out there for carpet, but if you really like the Thunder Dragon I would happily point you in the direction of the way to go on setup. 295 sounds steep to me though unless it's new in box. You can pick up good used Thunder shots in the UK on ebay for under £100. Also worth noting that the Fire Dragon was also ReReleased after the Thundershot about 10 years ago but this has the updated chassis with better shock mounts and twin front shocks. Even better if you can find one is the Terra Scorcher which has front universal shafts (better smoother steering) adjustable top arms (which you will need to make for any of the chassis in this series for carpet running) and rear roll bar (this might not be essential but it's a nice tuning option). All can be fitted with a TBG repro Thunder Dragon shell and MCI Racing in Canada will do you decals either original or any colour you like. He is mine in neon orange with custom colour matched decals in purple and teal

My Thunder Dragon

For carpet running you will need to get some modern 2.2" size wheels (tamiya large dish wheels 0440209/0440210 black or 53880/53881 are the right size if you want to keep it tamiya) with the tyres that other people at the track recommend. There is a whole bunch of other stuff kn the dampers and springs, but I will happily go down that rabbit hole if you get one. 

Cheers! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 8:18 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yes! You are a person of impeccable taste.

It begins...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now