graemevw

Lunchbox front arms, fx10 vs ampro

Thinking about changing the front arms on my lunchbox but i am wondering about durability. It wont be bashed HARD but it will be jumped and may end up faster than it should. I wouldnt be too worried about the durability except being in the uk means either option needs international shipping, making a broken arm quite awkward and expensive. I know the fx10 kit really needs the shock moving, thats no big deal.

Has anyone tried both options? How hard are these being driven? Anyone broken either version?

Thanks.

Someone mentioned a new 3d printing network recently, I will find the name for you, much cheaper than shapeways. Throws out more options.

Edit2add: try 3dhubs.com. not sure if that's the same one as was posted on here? If I find the thread, I will let you know.

5 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Someone mentioned a new 3d printing network recently, I will find the name for you, much cheaper than shapeways. Throws out more options.

Edit2add: try 3dhubs.com. not sure if that's the same one as was posted on here? If I find the thread, I will let you know.

I saw a thread with stuff printed cheaply in the uk but the arms broke easily. Not really wanting to tread new ground, unless anyone has found somewhere who can print bullet proof versions. The ampro stuff seems the best of the printed options (means i may as well order some other bits too) or go with the crp kit. There also dyed nylon right? I guess they arent printed though.

CRP FX10 kit is good - shock position not ideal - expensive shipping ( potential customs charge - as I got )  / time scale . AMpro is fast / cheap , are good quality ( I used the upper arm fitting on FX10 mod and have a gearbox anti slap clip ) ) . I have CRP FX10 arms - dyed nylon I think , and I repositioned the shock placement and added a stabilzer bar into the CRP shock position . The AMpro parts on video look to have taken bit of a bashing from jumps etc and survived but he does warn you of potential breakage if overdone and too hot a motor used ;)

8 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

CRP FX10 kit is good - shock position not ideal - expensive shipping ( potential customs charge - as I got )  / time scale . AMpro is fast / cheap , are good quality ( I used the upper arm fitting on FX10 mod and have a gearbox anti slap clip ) ) . I have CRP FX10 arms - dyed nylon I think , and I repositioned the shock placement and added a stabilzer bar into the CRP shock position . The AMpro parts on video look to have taken bit of a bashing from jumps etc and survived but he does warn you of potential breakage if overdone and too hot a motor used ;)

The fx10 kit posted is cheaper than the ampro parts. I watched ampros vid, it did seem to survive the one front wheel landings. 

I know there are a few people on here with each, have there been any reported breakages of either kit?

Other option is to diy a pair out of delrin but iys a fait bit of work!

I’m favouring the AMPRO kit as I don’t want to modify parts to fit and I will order a few other parts to justify the cost of postage and any custom charges. 

I have a CRP version for my Lunchbox.  The arms are injection molded with something strong like nylon.  I have a feeling that the chassis would break before the arms.  Here is a TC member's lunch box with CRP arms.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

cost of postage and any custom charges. 

Ampro parts cost me around £6 for fast shipping , and if I bought another conversion kit it would be AMpro for sure - you can buy single spare parts too

• Like 1

In some ways i prefer the ampro option, they look stock ish, and can order other parts but i am concerned about strength.

The crp parts look strong, and that video shows they can take some abuse, i dont mind modding them but id rather the plug and play, no extra hole ability of ampro.

Im properly torn, 50/50.

Someone needs to destruction test the ampro ones.

3 hours ago, graemevw said:

id rather the plug and play, no extra hole ability of ampro.

I like to put my own stamp on things , it's good to explore and expand as I did with the FX10 parts - mix and match as it were .

I have both and I have run both extremely hard (as in, totally unreasonably hard - jumps and crashes and so forth). I have destroyed Ampro arms but the crash that did the damage also broke the chassis and crushed the front of the ABS body. 

There is not much doubt in my mind that the CRP arms are somewhat stronger. However, the Ampro arms are more than strong enough for me even on 6s with a 1000 watt motor. I prefer the Ampro arms. They fit better and work better in my opinion. Alberto has a new option which is “filled in” and has way more material in the arms. I have those, but can’t say I have stress tested them. 

1 hour ago, smirk-racing said:

I have both and I have run both extremely hard (as in, totally unreasonably hard - jumps and crashes and so forth). I have destroyed Ampro arms but the crash that did the damage also broke the chassis and crushed the front of the ABS body. 

There is not much doubt in my mind that the CRP arms are somewhat stronger. However, the Ampro arms are more than strong enough for me even on 6s with a 1000 watt motor. I prefer the Ampro arms. They fit better and work better in my opinion. Alberto has a new option which is “filled in” and has way more material in the arms. I have those, but can’t say I have stress tested them. 

Good to know, thanks. I havent seen a filled in option.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:32 PM, graemevw said:

I saw a thread with stuff printed cheaply in the uk but the arms broke easily. Not really wanting to tread new ground, unless anyone has found somewhere who can print bullet proof versions. The ampro stuff seems the best of the printed options (means i may as well order some other bits too) or go with the crp kit. There also dyed nylon right? I guess they arent printed though.

I believe there were multiple issues with the parts that can be rectified, whether or not fixing all these issues will yield a semi rugged part I cannot yet say but I will update the post when I find out. There's potential to significantly improve the actual 3d file too.

I will only persevere as long as it remains cheap, no point spending so much that I could just get the FX10 or ampro stuff, I've never heard of the CRP bits breaking even when they have been chopped and changed about. I'll elaborate more soon but there's significant room for improvement, I haven't given up just yet.

There's also another potential solution but it's very early days yet.

• Like 1

Well, ive ordered the fx10 kit. Got a few ideas for moving the shock, done of which are particularly elegant, but once i have the parts in front of me ill see what i can come up with.

I made lower plates for lower shock mount points for my FX10 parts , have a look at the FX10 mod I posted up a few weeks ago

How much was your customs charge?

I just ordered the arms, uprights and hardware. Not sure ill use the hardware but got it in case. Ill make my own upper arm inner mount.

I didn't use any of the hardware that I bought from CRP , I bought shanked cap head bolts. The customs was £6 vat and £8 for the P.O. to tell me about it , so £14 in all. I couldn't use the pins in the hardware as they weren't long enough to clear the metal plates that I made .

If I hadn't bought the hardware ( which I didn't even use ) I might have escaped the charges.

37 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

If I hadn't bought the hardware ( which I didn't even use ) I might have escaped the charges.

Your not making this any better 😉 hahahaha