TWINSET

58666 Comical Hornet

18 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

Doesn't look like the eBay body is a copy of the Tamiya one - check the boxy bit (intake?) near the wing mounts - far bigger on the fake

Since I got my Kingfly Hornet body, it's been clear to me that it's not a direct copy of Tamiya's own Comical Hornet body. Among other things, the Kingfly body has the "MSC-hump" on the right side, just like the "real" Hornet, and as Tamiya dropped the "MSC-hump" on their Comical Grasshopper, it's very unlikely they would keep it on the Comical Hornet. However, the Kingfly wing is a direct copy of the "real" Hornet wing in 1:1 scale.

That said, I must admit that Kingsfly's version is of high quality and the proportions not significantly less appropriate as a caricature than Tamiya's own version is. I actually wish Tamiya would have chosen a different 2nd caricature body than the Hornet as Kingfly has covered that "need" pretty well already.

20 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

Didn't the 2nd 'Dancing Rider' release have a similar figure?

Found it - chin guard and peak look detachable

Information about a future release "54864 Multipurpose Driver Figure" surfaced on January 4th, and at that time it seemed likely to me that this separately avaialble figure would be the same as the figure included with the Dual Rider. Didn't expect the Comical Hornet to come with it though!

Link to announcement of Multipurpose Driver Figure (no photos!)

And yes, the figure in the Dual Rider can be configured in different ways according to Tamiya, so chin guard and peak are surely separate parts.

Hmm... seeing it now, I don't think this one works as well as the Grasshopper. Part of it is probably that I have always preferred the Grasshopper's looks anyway, but the front end of this looks awkward and unfinished. Like the top half of a face with no bottom half.

But keep 'em coming, Tamiya! These are way more interesting than the same old thing in new colors.

• Like 1

The only thing that looks off on this is the gap between the nose of the body & the bumper - basically all you see is shock tower. I’m sure that if the bumper could have been angled upwards it would have masked this gap & looked a lot better?

Agreed, the front end just doesn't look right. The nose of the shell needs to be deeper, at the moment it just looks like the body is perched on the chassis. If you look at the front of the Comical Grasshopper, the nose is a little deeper. Not much, probably 15-20mm, but it's enough to visually join the front of the car together.

I hope they still include a Willy head with it. If not, Willy will be going in mine lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Information about a future release "54864 Multipurpose Driver Figure" surfaced on January 4th, and at that time it seemed likely to me that this separately avaialble figure would be the same as the figure included with the Dual Rider. Didn't expect the Comical Hornet to come with it though!

Link to announcement of Multipurpose Driver Figure (no photos!)

And yes, the figure in the Dual Rider can be configured in different ways according to Tamiya, so chin guard and peak are surely separate parts.

I guess I was not very observant; looking at the new Dual Rider, that is exactly right. However, I felt as you did in my surprise that the Comical Hornet would use this figure.

1 hour ago, IBIFTKH said:

Agreed, the front end just doesn't look right. The nose of the shell needs to be deeper, at the moment it just looks like the body is perched on the chassis. If you look at the front of the Comical Grasshopper, the nose is a little deeper. Not much, probably 15-20mm, but it's enough to visually join the front of the car together.

I will be interested in seeing the bodywork manual for that reason when it is released. If the moulding allows for some material to be left below the cut line at the front, perhaps that would be the solution, unless the shell can indeed be lowered at the front.

I still like the Comical Hornet's look, though.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:07 PM, Mokei Kagaku said:

The decals were apparently not ready at the time I ordered in early November, so mine came without too, but Baja 5b decals were included and also shown in the auction! Maybe the same reason in your case? 

Got the comical hornet clone decals delivered today, great after service and they are a nice quality, much like tamiya decals and same greenish paper.

• Thanks 1