Sign in to follow this  
Zxkuqyb

Going price for a new 58028 Pickup?

I don't normally look at the really vintage kits, as they're out of my price range, but what's the going rate on a NIB 58028 Pickup?

There's one on eBay right now and it looks good, but the box appears to have water damage, and would be around a 6/10.

Not sure if this is any use to you, but I saw a NIB 58029 Blazing Blazer sell for €2700 last week on Yahoo Auctions. Box was a bit scuffed and sun bleached in that case.

I feel like at that range, the going price is really arbitrary and subject to whatever the seller decides. Probably not that useful, but anybody who wants one will pony up whatever is being asked, and usually has the money to do that in the same way the rest of us splash out on Grasshoppers and TT-02s.

That being said, and strictly hypothetically speaking (in the sense I would have that kind of bankroll), I would not pay more than $2,500 USD for a NIB kit that is less than perfect. $2,000 sounds like the better figure to my ears, and maybe even a bit less if the condition is as bad as advertised. Water damage would be enough for me to negotiate for even less, unless the contents of the box can be clearly examined for a better opinion.

Good luck!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Zxkuqyb said:

I don't normally look at the really vintage kits, as they're out of my price range, but what's the going rate on a NIB 58028 Pickup?

There's one on eBay right now and it looks good, but the box appears to have water damage, and would be around a 6/10.

Can you show the link to it?

These things can go for very high prices, good examples can hit over 4000usd. Depends on overall condition. How are the blisters?

NIB's are usually double a new built, so if the nib is somehow damaged, I'd add 50% on top of the new built value, whatever that is. Depends on how desperate the person is to sell it too, for a damaged box it would be a good one to build, but again, you could acquire a perfect box for it somewhere.

11 hours ago, Zxkuqyb said:

Not worth the 4500usd he is asking, it has water damage on the box . But you will probably never convince the owner of that, he says 'usual wear' lol.

"I sell here a very rare Tamiya Kit from the year 1981. Unique collector's item, very rare and no longer available. Is for many years sun and dust protected housed at constant temperature and comes from a non-smoking household.Used article, sale by private. Vintage Tamiya items are up to 40 years old and are very rare collectibles. The kit has the usual signs of wear. see also photos. No return. No guarantee or warranty. If batteries are included, whether unused or new appearing, these are just too decoration for the showcase. Only what is shown in the photos is bought.* "

it's held at a constant temperature and non smoking household but forgets to mention the water damage :))

It's still a complete kit. 2500-3000usd that's it imo. These things are incredibly rare these days. And one day there will be only a few of them left if other owners build their's, which then should translate to big value on these kits. You can always find a box for it later in much better shape, since the blisters look decent.

If you're really interested in it, maybe talk to the owner about the damage and try to get a significant reduction, maybe mention that you have spoke to a few from Tamiyaclub.

Some consider this kit the holy grail of the Tamiya World, awesome kit to own.

I have my Hilux back in '82 with original batteries, fast and slow chargers. Four channels control for headlights and a horn.

jTg8IzO.jpg

Tpp84w7.jpg

AXqa4Ac.jpg

dSRRrzv.jpg

ADphMP2.jpg

pSFcmL5.jpg

PjBLomP.jpg

EuNG6JU.jpg

9JBS4X7.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowcat said:

I have my Hilux back in '82 with original batteries, fast and slow chargers. Four channels control for headlights and a horn.

Beautiful! 

Wow; that looks great. I was alive in '82, but I was only building the 1/20 models I could afford with my paper route.

12 hours ago, kasparov said:

Not worth the 4500usd he is asking, it has water damage on the box . But you will probably never convince the owner of that, he says 'usual wear' lol.

it's held at a constant temperature and non smoking household but forgets to mention the water damage :))

It's still a complete kit. 2500-3000usd that's it imo. These things are incredibly rare these days. And one day there will be only a few of them left if other owners build their's, which then should translate to big value on these kits. You can always find a box for it later in much better shape, since the blisters look decent.

If you're really interested in it, maybe talk to the owner about the damage and try to get a significant reduction, maybe mention that you have spoke to a few from Tamiyaclub.

Some consider this kit the holy grail of the Tamiya World, awesome kit to own.

Thanks; I also noticed that in the fourth photo, the front cab and rear are slightly different colors. I don't think it's the light, but I'm guessing one or both did not belong to the kit, they were stored separately, or I don't know WTH I'm talking about.

I bought a used Juggernaut 1 and it turned out to be from a smoking home, without any mention of this in the ad. No offense to smokers, but holy cow it reeked! I had to aerate that thing for months for the smell to mostly go away.