11 hours ago, svenb said:

TB love for me today 👍

Got the full set now, unless there's another colour!? 

DSC_0161.JPG

That's awesome! Smoke and red/pink I still need someday

Morning!

Anyone got 1 or 2 tb04 gear diffs lying around they want to part with? 

After 5 race nights I’ve decided I’m done with ball diffs! Lol

:) 

• Haha 1

Lol. I'm sorry to say I do not. I will be running TT02 diffs in my TB01. Are there any other diffs that will fit the TB04 other than TB04? May open up your search options.

14 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Lol. I'm sorry to say I do not. I will be running TT02 diffs in my TB01. Are there any other diffs that will fit the TB04 other than TB04? May open up your search options.

Others may be compatable, I’m after some for the my tb03, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere they will fit!  I know spec r do some but was trying to stay tamiya.. :) 

I’ve read the tb04 gear diffs fit the evo 5 and also the tb03 diffs fit the evo 5 so the tb04 must fit the 03  haha.. may have to change the small bevel gear but would save rebuilding ball diffs every week.. :) 

1 hour ago, Mark3gti said:

Others may be compatable, I’m after some for the my tb03, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere they will fit!  I know spec r do some but was trying to stay tamiya.. :) 

I’ve read the tb04 gear diffs fit the evo 5 and also the tb03 diffs fit the evo 5 so the tb04 must fit the 03  haha.. may have to change the small bevel gear but would save rebuilding ball diffs every week.. :) 

Might be worth searching in the other direction, development - wise. The TB05 uses the sane 40t bevel as the TB04. Maybe Tamiya carried over the TB04 transmission to the TB05? 

@ThunderDragonCy

Thanks! Yeah worth a look! 👍 I don’t mind as long as it’s a gear diff! Haha! 

Ill download the manual when I get home and have a look at the build stages later on :) 👍

All TBs from 03 onwards have same diff gearcases, with exception of Evo7. Only difference is, that 04 have 40T bevel, so it will requie different shimming. Also you have to shave some material from input shaft, otherwise it will scrub on differential.

What was your problem with ball diff? I coverted mine to 2,5mm screw and TRF502 gears and it worked flawlessly.

• Like 1

@Honza

Thanks for the info!  Well couple of reasons, everyone else at the club runs them and they are relatively low maintenance especially compare to ball diffs.. , I should run a spool up front,  but as getting used to track racing again I wanted to run a front diff still so I don’t keep killing drive shafts and gears etc.. still pinballing my way round sometimes haha

this last time the thrust bearing failed and I hadn’t noticed for a while, ( my bad mind ) so struggled with grip, to find I was basically running rear wheel drive.. oops.. 

should be better this week thou! 

On 5/12/2019 at 4:10 PM, Honza said:

All TBs from 03 onwards have same diff gearcases, with exception of Evo7

Not true, the Evo 7 is the same.

13 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Not true, the Evo 7 is the same.

I meant part #51351, Evo7 have different, aluminum part. But gears are same as TB04

• Like 1

@Honza  

Apologies that I miss understood, I will pay more attention and make sure I use proper Tamiya speak in future. As he was asking for spare diffs and that I call that part a cover I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I'm getting old :(

I'm probably being special again but my TB EVO 4 has fancy bulkheads like the 7 and uses the cases at the top of the page?

15 hours ago, El Dougo said:

I'm probably being special again but my TB EVO 4 has fancy bulkheads like the 7 and uses the cases at the top of the page?

TBevo4 is a much older chassis than the TB04 the above guys were talking about, and not related at all ;) The TBevo4 is about as old as the TB02.

Besides the TB01 - TBevo1 and the TB02 - TBevo3, none of the Evo's and normal TB0X chassis are related. All they share are maybe some gears and suspensionparts.

39 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Besides the TB01 - TBevo1 and the TB02 - TBevo3, none of the Evo's and normal TB0X chassis are related. All they share are maybe some gears and suspensionparts.

I'd say that Evo6 and TB04 are just as related as Evo3 with TB02. Evo5 and 7 are similar to TB03 and 05, although there aren't many parts carried from one to another. So only Evo2 and Evo4 don't have cheaper equivalent. 

16 minutes ago, Honza said:

I'd say that Evo6 and TB04 are just as related as Evo3 with TB02. Evo5 and 7 are similar to TB03 and 05, although there aren't many parts carried from one to another. So only Evo2 and Evo4 don't have cheaper equivalent. 

Evo6 and TB04 share the same diff housings, centre shaft etc? Or at least cross compatible. I didn't know that. I never really fancied the newer models to be honest, so never really looked into them much.

Hey folks,,

so now there has been a change of plan.

im now going to be racing a Tb evo 5 so need to get a spool and gear diff for that instead.

after writing off both my ball diffs in my tb03 last night im done with them. 🤮 gear diff for me now. Possibly slightly my fault as I stripped and rebuilt them the other night only to find I had no ball diff grease so I used a bit of some automotive high temp grease, which must be the problem cos before they needed rebuilding they had been ok.

so anyway.. 

ive been searching and seems to be some options, I just wondered if anyone had a definitive solution with good results? 

I believe a tb04 gear diff fits, but from googling I’ve found it may possibly require the Smaller drive shaft gear filing down slightly so it doesn’t catch the diff body? 

Also spool wise, from searching google appears the tb03 one fits, but these don’t seem to be that readily available, thou there is some on tamico, so wondering if a later car has one compatable cheeper :) 

i have a unhappy wife and 🍒 are at risk at the moment! 😂🤣 but having to take it cos I need to have a reliable setup..

many thanks! :) 

The tb04 spool should also fit. I think the ring gear might need to be swapped out. I mounted a tb04 / tbEvo6 one in the evo3 a while ago and that was fine.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, qatmix said:

The tb04 spool should also fit. I think the ring gear might need to be swapped out. I mounted a tb04 / tbEvo6 one in the evo3 a while ago and that was fine.

Cheers! Another to have a look for :) 

it was the tb04 gear diff as well for the rear wasn’t it? Sorry I was tired last night and woke up thinking about lots of different number chassis and diffs so got my self confused! hahahaha.. 

btw sorry I know I am a pain! 😬

Lol, no problems. Yes the tb04 gear diff and spool should be fine (although the ring gears might need swapping out.

I can see what I have about and we can try a test fitting next week before you buy things incase I've got it wrong 

14 minutes ago, qatmix said:

Lol, no problems. Yes the tb04 gear diff and spool should be fine (although the ring gears might need swapping out.

I can see what I have about and we can try a test fitting next week before you buy things incase I've got it wrong 

😬😬

thats right, I remember you saying that now! 

Thanks that would be great! 👍 👍

i may also borrow the evo diffs, so least I can run the 03 next week.. :) as in theory should fit, judging by the destructions.. 

What pinion gear drives the diff? And how is that gear driven? The TB01 is splined and the TB Evolution is driven by a D Shaped prop.

1 hour ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

What pinion gear drives the diff? And how is that gear driven? The TB01 is splined and the TB Evolution is driven by a D Shaped prop.

Hey,

not actually in front of it,  it have the instructions.. assuming it’s not tinkered with it should be like this..

055C93A6-C3BF-4817-A63D-0AC2CEF6F068.png

• Thanks 1

Fingers crossed I can improve on laps compared to my tb03,  thou 6 weeks in I wonder if it’ll make any difference hahaha! 

just need to sort camber and front toe in, get battery tape and eventually fit a spool/gear diffs front and back. 

This week will be rocking a one way roller! Could be fun with a nice sharp bend at the end of the straight! 😖

btw I’m still running my 2.4ghz plane tx, with locked sticks.. so it’s a big ol’ receiver, hoping to get a smaller one at some point.. 😂 or even a land 2.4ghz tx long term future..

957780F6-FBEE-4D35-84F1-240ACC12AD60.jpeg

• Like 2

Tb evo V no rocking spec-r  tb03 gear diffs and spec-r steel swing shafts on original axles.

been hard work and some serious cursing, ideally needs 43mm swing shafts especially on the rear weirdly. As if I put more than 1-1.5ml camber on the blades catch the diff cups and causes it to move the arm up and down. 

As 43mm prob doesn’t exist, I may have to use different suspension blocks as can grab a mm or 2 in width there..

but the gear diffs are in, it’s close, but  it clears now, can see a faint mark on rear diff case from original fit, had to file down the bevel gear shafts 1-1.5mm so they clear. 

Not run yet but have bench run them and doesn’t appear to foul! Thou he real test tomorrow as race night! 

F72D8007-44BF-497E-B4CA-8FB6A4B130B7.jpeg

DF6A81A8-4C40-4D2D-B5BB-E0875142D8B4.jpeg

• Like 1