26 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

spacer.png 

Now looking at this photo, have Tamiya ever released 3-piece driveshaft for the TB02? Looks like the chassis is prepared for that and I know that 1-piece design could be an issue on that soft chassis.

12 minutes ago, Honza said:

Now looking at this photo, have Tamiya ever released 3-piece driveshaft for the TB02? Looks like the chassis is prepared for that and I know that 1-piece design could be an issue on that soft chassis.

Not that I'm aware of. That was a problem with the TB-02 wasn't it, the one-piece drive shaft stripping bevel pinion gears in a big impact? Hence the SSG base plate (and Evo III top deck) to improve chassis rigidity?

The TB-02R has a bearing and bearing holder at the rear by the spur gear but not at the front, though the moulding is there as you can see 

@Juhunio thanks :) Here, people had lot of issues with TB02 in rally races (bumpy track probably made the chassis flex a lot more), I've even seen DIY 3-piece shaft on one car.. it is weird that Tamiya never made this option.

Btw, nice build :)

• Thanks 1

In my opinion the TB02 is the best looking tub chassis, especially with hop ups, makes the TT02 look bulky and overweight.

A TB05R is next for me.

• Like 3

I had no idea the TB02 had a 1 piece prop. That's madness! Did the EVOIII share that design? 

Sorry to disagree @svenb but rather predictably  I think the TB03R is the best. But I am a sucker for IFS. Mmmmm....rockers.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, svenb said:

In my opinion the TB02 is the best looking tub chassis, especially with hop ups, makes the TT02 look bulky and overweight.

A TB05R is next for me.

I prefer the TB03 - it looks even sleeker and more modern, only downside are the laydown shocks - I prefer normal shock tower of the D variant.

• Like 1

I find the 03 has a less enclosed look, nice but...

16424252289977929559926192603711.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I had no idea the TB02 had a 1 piece prop. That's madness! Did the EVOIII share that design? 

Yup 🤦‍♂️ 

And IFS = Cool

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yes, this was carried over from the Evo. Gear case only had one bearing, if they wanted 3-piece propshaft, they'd need additional support - which they did (and I haven't noticed that until now :D), but without the 3-piece prop.

6 minutes ago, svenb said:

I find the 03 has a less enclosed look, nice but...

Yes, less enclosed, looks lighter but not as fragile as the 05. Perfectly balanced in my opinion :)

1 hour ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I need to get me one of them carbon links for the steering on the TB02 above.

Me too!

I've found a couple but they won't ship to the UK 🙁

2 hours ago, svenb said:

Me too!

I've found a couple but they won't ship to the UK 🙁

Just the carbon link:

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-4305517-steering-plate-for-58299-p-15026.html

or the full set, flanged bearings and all…

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-54097-tb03-carbon-steering-link-p-90005948.html

Here are my workings out:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Just the carbon link:

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-4305517-steering-plate-for-58299-p-15026.html

or the full set, flanged bearings and all…

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-54097-tb03-carbon-steering-link-p-90005948.html

Here are my workings out:

Thanks Matt I'd forgotten about that mod on your 02.

looking at the two links , the 54097 set looks a bit straighter than the one you used:huh:.

I should know all this but because of my old age I'm struggling to remember what I had for breakfast!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, svenb said:

I should know all this bit because of my old age I'm struggling to remember what I had for breakfast!

Tell me about it. Just this morning I wrote on here about all TAs pre the 05 being shaft driven despite having just finished a belt-driven 04 and being half way through a belt-driven 03 :blink:

I've got that 54097 set in the loft in the Evo III box-o'-bits, I'll get it down in the morning and have a look 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm guessing your getting on a bit too then.!!

I had to read your shaft/belt statement a few times before it clicked😂

• Haha 1

No time like the present...

The link from the 54097 set is on top of the arms in this picture...ignore the slight misalignment of the screw-holes, it's a dead-on fit. It is slightly straighter than the 4305517 link (connected beneath the arms), but only a bit and I actually think for the better. It creates a wee bit more clearance between the link and the tub, which is very tight due to that cross-member just behind the FR suspension mount

spacer.png

spacer.png

This picture shows the extra clearance a bit better...it's only a couple of mm, but definitely better. The CF deck on the Evo III doesn't have the same issue with the cross-member, so I might swap the links over when I build the Evo III 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, frameskip said:

@svenb -- who makes that rocker brace you have on the TB03? Haven't seen one of those before.

It's a Tamiya part from the TB03R kit

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I know which ones it definitely Is not....

Go on then😉

36 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@svenb Just had a fun time scrolling through early TB chassis. I am going to pitch TB01 with the rare carbon chassis plate hop up. 

Your the man👍

• Like 2